[Guide] My Heavy Engineer

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Samutus, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Samutus

The engineer is the most versatile class in the game in my opinion. Here is what I roll with and some tactics I employ:
    • Gauss Compact S - (3 fire modes) equipped with medium range sight, compensator, and an under barrel smoke launcher which I use frequently in both offence and defence. They can be thrown between you and an enemy at medium range to hide an escape or maneuver, used to hide when firing off a turret, or used as a tactical offensive tool to hide a large friendly troop rush in semi enclosed spaces such as bio labs. Can also be used as a decoy (especially when a grenade and smoke are shot off in the same location) to get your enemies to look or move away. This is especially useful in getting tanks to look away so you can C4 their backside.
    • Patriot Flare Gun - Used to light up the night for friendlies attacking facilities such as towers from a distance. Like the Commissioner Pistol it can be used to pull off an insta-kill knife/sidearm combo. Can be used to distract enemies as well as signal friendly squads. Will become even more useful if the beta night is brought brought back.
    • One Sticky Grenade - Great as a last resort in a one on one battles. Great for taking out groups of enemies because often the person who gets stickied will not know and will not move away from his allies and sometimes running to them, delivering them to an explosive death. Can also be stuck to walls which is useful in certain situations such as fights on grav lifts.
    • Repair Tool - This thing is an XP gaining machine. You can gain large amounts of XP quickly by following around MAXs in situations such as those unending biolab battles, repairing in tank fights, or best of all, repairing destroyed turrets in recently capped bases. When you are operating a vehicle you must have the ability to hop out and repair it. But what about when your vehicle goes up in flames? If you play engi as your main class you can fight hard even after your machine is no more. You can use the smoke cover and chaos caused by your vehicle exploding to throw down a turret, escape, or throw a grenade. Can also be used to defuse enemy explosives.
    • Four Bricks of C4 - I love this stuff. As an engi you can't simply jet in and drop the stuff on vehicles and infantry clusters before enemies can respond. You need to be more strategic, you need to Metal Gear yourself behind tanks and into positions where you will be able to cause a lot of damage. One will usually take out a MAX, Two of them will take out a tank, and Three of them will take a Sunde down. Can also be used to quickly destroy abandoned enemy aircraft, kills a lib in with two, ESFs with one, and four will bring a gal to critical damage. Great for setting traps for MAXes, infantry, and even armor as well as throwing down from higher up places. Can be used to force players to leave turrets so you can kill them. When attached to the nose of a preferably ejection seat and speed air frame equipped ESF it turns your flying machine into one giant bomb for doing massive amounts of damage to armor clusters. Just make sure no one shoots it on the way to the target. Similarly you can do a nose dive close to enemy armor, ejecting just before you hit the ground, putting you in a great position to do some damage from an area they lease expect since they assume you died in the crash. This is an incredibly useful weapon in many situations, I am always finding new ways to use it in battle.
    • AV Turret - This thing is another one of my favorite weapons. Much like C4, the number of ways this thing can be used is astounding. First off, this is no anti-vehicle turret, its an anti-everything turret. I mean that. This thing can do large amounts of damage to tanks (3 hits to kill a flash), a great deal of damage to grounded air (and when skillfully used, in flight air), and can kill all non MAX infantry with a direct hit. The only downside is there is no shield to protect you. The key to using this thing is picking a good position, far enough out there that only snipers and long range explosives can hit you. You can take down tanks by hitting them from behind, then re-positioning to finish them to finish them off. As for the snipers This thing can hit targets from astounding ranges, and if you are really good you can even maneuver it around terrain to hit enemies. The Av turret has unlimited ammo and does far more damage then the long range explosive weapons carried by heavys. Because of its infinite ammo and high damage it can be used to grind off of unmanned turrets at abandoned enemy bases for a lot of XP. can be use With strategic use this becomes an incredible weapon that comes in handy constantly in many different situations.
    • Ammo Pack - By pressing B to switch fire modes in my turret slot I can drop ammo packs (I say this because many players still don't know about this). This means I have infinite ammo on all weapons except C4 and grenades and can also gain XP by placing packs in key locations.
    So, how do you guys Engi?
    • Up x 2
  2. eldarfalcongravtank

hey nice thread! here's my vehicle crew engineer:
    - pandora with slugs, extended magazine and 3.4x scope: basically, this is my engineers mainstay on the open field. as i am rather a tanker/vehicle operator, i need to have a gun that performs well at medium and longer ranges if i happen to lose my tank or suddenly need to cross a large field. i am fully aware that the gun does not perform well in closequarters but i still happen to get some infiltrators and c4 planters that wanted to backstab me while i was repairing my tank with that gun
    - manticore: much needed but underperforming sidearm once i ran out of bullets on my primary in a firefight
    - sticky grenade: when i need to detonate my mines underneath an enemy vehicle or just mess around with an enemy by sticking the nade at him
    - repair tool: maxed out repair tool to repair my vehicles as well as other friendly ones and maxes, too. this is what being an engineer is all about, in my view. repairing is his specialty and also his main source of income (xp/certs). an engineer not repairing anything should pick another class to play
    - antitank/proximity mines: i am using these rather defensively. if you can anticipate enemy movement, like where a platoon or zerg is going next, you can create ambushes both for armor and infantry. i usually put three mines on roads behind slopes so unsuspecting vehicle drivers drive over them. and i lay proximity mines at chokepoints or around objectives so infantry gets eliminated by them. sometimes, i also stack the effects of proximity mines with additional antitank mines for some extra explosive damage. i call this my IED tactic. always nice to get some groups with these
    - mana antivehicle turret: when defending against tank rushes, there's almost no better tool in the game. the only thing bad about it is you tend to be overly exposed to infantry weapons/snipers and your flanks are exposed as well. that's why i usually only use the turret in larger groups when friendlies are around me covering my back and flanks
    • Up x 1
  3. LudwigVonHellsing

Ready for everything :
    • Pulsar C, reflex 2x, (compensator), forward grip, high velocity ammo : Very good at medium range while still being okay for closer range.
    • Commissioner : I'm not sure about this, I might try the Underboss or Manticore because the Pulsar can take care of the medium range, so the pistol would only be to finish ennemies at close range, and I'm usually in a "spammy mood" at this point.
    • Sticky grenade : They are expensive but I find them more reliable than normal grenades. Warning, they tend to bounce if you try to stick them to something to close and they love sticking to allies ;-) . As said, they can be used as detonators. I also use them to prevent ennemies from rushing in when I need to reload or wait for my shield to get back up (by sticking them on the side of a doorway).
    • AT mines : I mainly use them by detonating them myself on an immobile vehicule, but I also get quite a few Harasser kills by placing them at the right spots, even on open fields. They are better than C4 (cheaper and more destructive), I would only think about replacing them with medical/restoration kit.
    • AV turret : I'm still not used to it, but it's really useful. It allows the Engineer to take down the vehicules from range and not only by placing mines on them/their path.
    CQC :
    • Serpent VE92 (reflex / NV, fitted for CQC) : I think it has the best DPS for the Vanu engineer, once you get used to the up-left recoil, it's a beast.
    • Or : Solstice SF (w/ underbarrel grenade launcher, aka noobtube) : The weapon in itself is worthless (it has the RoF of the Pulsar C without its damage), what's good with it is the noobtube. It's not fair, it's OP, it's really annoying for your ennemies, but until they nerf it, you'd better be on the right side of the tube (watch out for your friendlies though).
    • Commissioner : Here it completes the main weapon. The Serpent runs quickly out of ammo and has a long reload time. So if you shoot at someone who is a bit far, you might need to finish it with the Commisionner.
    • Sticky grenades
    • AP Mines : You have to know the base a little bit to know where to place them. But a general tip : doorways, top of stairs, middle of a group of ennemies. I wouldn't replace them with restoration/medical kit as there is often a medic nearby when I play at CQC.
    • AP Turret : Don't underestimate it, it can be really useful if well positioned. Don't forget when you place it : you often don't want it to face straight where the ennemies are (at the moment it spawns), but be a bit off to make sure you can turn and follow them if they get closer.
    (Don't bother buying the Solstice SF if you can't afford the UBGL)
  4. [bwc] bhawk

Mine is
    Main: (use for everything)
    T5 AMC: 2x reflex, advance foregrip. (sometimes HV ammo)-great at medium range
    NS Patriot Flare Gun (atm) light up night and signal allies to deployed sundys. also nice finish damage
    sticky grenade
    2 bricks c4 -i love c4
    Max nanoweave
    AV turret

cqb:(mainly biolab)
    LC3 Jaguar: 1x reflex, advance laser, flash suppressor-great for close ranger with fire rate and easy recoil
    NS Patriot Flare Gun (atm) light up night and signal allies to deployed sundys. also nice finish damage
    sticky grenade
    2 bricks c4 -i love c4
    Max nanoweave
    AV Turret
  5. [bwc] bhawk

LMFAO disregard the frown face put a : after cqb then a (.
  6. Iridar51

Holy smokes, I didn't know that! I thought engis have to choose between mines and ammo packs, lol. Thank you very much for this info.
  7. Xocolatl

I just wish the normal MANA turret would be better. AV is simply so good. But damn, minigun turret is just too cool to pass up for me. Wish it deals some damage to vehicle. At least it will be useful for scaring away lone Lightnings.
  8. Samutus

You aren't alone, as I said, a lot of people don't know about it. Right now the ability is sort of akin to the wall jump in Super Metroid, kinda one of those, figure it out yourself abilities. Spread the word.
  9. Iridar51

Mentioned it in my LA guide, hopefully some people will see.
  10. Rikkit

@ op av-turret will kill a flah in one shot on direkt hit

and at medium range the ai turret is a good thing. you can survive some rocket hits when they hit the shield und you use flak armor
  11. lilleAllan

Flak armor 3
    Mercenary with foregrip and 1x reflex
    AV mines
    AV turret

Mercenary performs well at all ranges, especially mid.
    AV mines are great for trolling.
    Flak armor lets me repair vehicles without getting nuked by explosions.
    AV turret since MANA turret is garbage.
  12. ElSuerte Diego

You don't need to trade mines and ammo packs. The turret making tool makes ammo packs as well, you just need to hit the fire mode key (b). The advantage of having the ammo pack in the #4 slot is that it's faster to deploy.

I'm just a newbie engineer, and I've got to say that my favorite toys so far are the AV mines. I use them to kill sunderers. You run up to them, drop them next to it, back up, and shoot the mines with your carbine to set them off. It kills them just the same as if they ran over them. I get the idea from wrel's youtube guides on ps2.
  13. RealityWarrior

I just cant bring myself to give up my UBGL. I use it too often. My record was a 43 kill streak using it. I didn't die. Had to respawn.
  14. Rikkit

Please please cert also your ammo pack!
    level 3 is a good choice if you wouldn'd dump that much certs into the engeneer.
    You get a few bonusses for doing so since the ammo-pack you are dropping from the turre is the same:

wider range up to 7m and more --> its easier to get ammo from them, since you didnt have to wait direkt on the ammo pack, you can also wait behind that nice walls. or move around while picking up some ammo.

longer duration 5min and more --> you are in a good fight but all 60 seconds you have to do a break to drop ammo? put some certs into it and get some more minutes.

It's nice to know that your ammo pack behind your turret will supply a big part of the AA-party while you are sitting in your turrer or blowing up that sundy 300m away...
  15. Sagabyte

Me?
    PRIMARY: Razor or Warden or Piston depending on range (razor most often)
    2x reflex, compensator, HVA, foregrip for razor and warden ; 1x reflex for piston
    SECONDARY: Underboss or Desperado
    UTILITY: C4 is most often, occasionally tank mines
    TURRET: MANA AV usually, sometimes AP
    REPAIR GUN: LV. 3
    ARMOR: Flak level 4
    GRENADE: Frags, eventually stickies

Beautiful engie. Not as awesome as my medic though