Remove the Infiltrator IFF!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ztiller, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Boomotang

So then what does the video have to do with the topic?

I've admitted that one person can make a big difference.
  2. DuckSauce

You've earned it! Best thing to do now is just admit you might not know all there is to know about infiltration.
  3. Boomotang

I never said I knew everything. Just that most people should learn to diversify.

It really just makes you look childish.
  4. DuckSauce

So you think people who play infiltrator all the time haven't tried your really basic suggestions? Or are you just here to give out life advice?
  5. Boomotang

Quote from Ztiller - "Tell me, how am i supposed to stay in the peripheal if there are only 2 ways into a base: The 2 stairs."

I don't know. You tell me.
  6. Vaphell

nobody said you should, but baseline "infiltration" is "run and pray there won't be any gun pointed in your face once you get there".Many inf players object the use of the word because trying your luck so often doesn't sound like the definition of infiltration they have in their minds.
    Ever run up the stairs only to faceplant into a turret? I did and i burned 2/3 of my cloak energy to do that in the first place. Towers do have only 2 long stairs and you don't see their top so yes, outside of airdrop there is no other way to enter.
    With 12s cloak you can't plan for ****, you either camp in some dark corner never doing anything done or run all the time and cut LoS exploiting subsecond moments of confusion. The story would be different if cloak worked differently (eg burn energy slower when crouching and walking) and realistically allowed for cautious approaches where you can investigate first and then commit yourself.
  7. DuckSauce

But you just watched multiple videos where he... :confused:

You know what, never mind. You win. You're the infiltration expert.

Ztiller, lern2play bro.
  8. Boomotang

Which was after I had made the posts...... :confused:
  9. Boomotang

Yeah, that would be cool.
  10. Steveru

But I was soooooo tired of running over friendlies and maintaining that "shoot first, ask questions later" attitude. And that's not a sarcastic "sooooo", I mean really, I was.

And I might have agreed with you about it not needing a buff until I turned down some settings to get an FPS boost. My GOD! The cloak is like a giant ink blot on my screen! Even in first person!!!! It's like someone spilled paint all over the invisible man!!!!

Hasn't anyone played TF2? Why is SOE reinventing the wheel? Why does my low end computer get a huge advantage?
    • Up x 1
  11. Rudmed

I have...we essentially have the dead ringer, but without the 'fake death' part and more the loud noise you make when you decloak. Not to mention its like we keep bumping into people and revealing ourselves given the effectiveness of our current cloak.

Maybe because it's the fact the infiltrators have more weaponry than the spy.
  12. Steveru

Finally, someone familiar with good game design! Okay, well if this cloak were in TF2

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU'VE FOUND....
    Infiltrator Suit (new item with pre-order of Planetside2!)
    + Fast recharge
    + Can pass through enemies while cloaked
    - Loud decloak noise
    - 35% more visible while cloaked
    - No disguise

Granted, TF2's not PS2, but the same game mechanics still apply. As the cloaker, I should know when I'm visible, I should know where I'm obvious. I'd much rather have a cloak that has a much longer CLOAK and DECLOAK, still has the noise, but allows me to go COMPLETELY invisible while I'm cloaked and not moving. None of this, "Hey was tha- Naw, I'm sure he's our guy, no reason to investigate". The cloak is certainly broken, Rud and it has been for a while. The IFF tag is a step in the right direction.

I don't want to have to rely on incompetent enemies for my cloak to work. I don't want to be cloaked in the corner, crossing my fingers, hoping that none of the bad guys have their settings turned down so low that I look like a floating ink blot test.

There's simply too many variables at play, too many things out of my power while I'm cloaked even before the GU11. If you're bumping into people, well then, you're caught regardless of an IFF tag, but even at a bit of a distance bad guys would still shoot in my general direction! But you're telling me, "No no no no, Steveru, wait, with the old ways, there was a chance, albeit small, that enemies would think you're one of them, or they got bored"

That's stupid! I don't want my cloak to be dependent on how bored or oblivious the bad guy is!
    • Up x 1
  13. Vanus Aran

Who needs it? Its obvious: No one.
    But it was a cool content. " It made fun. "

OH NO WHAT? THAT IS NOT ONLY GOOD FOR A SURPRISE-ATTACK BUT MAKES FUN TOO !?!? - OVERPOWERED !!! NERF !!! -

Im already tired of seeing SOE always, always, always abusing their power and destroying content that is NOT an exploit and simply something that makes fun for the players who discover and master it.
    This too are the wondrous moments of a creation in our world. You create something and then people find unexpected ways to enjoy it even more.

And how LAME the Biolabroof-blockade looks. Totally artifical. Why would there be this gascontainers or whatever they are?
    The solution looks so loveless - its like I can feel the ill will behind this.
    No one needed access to the roofs as non-LA, but it was cool and fun anyway.

EVERYTHING that makes this godforsaken - horrible - boring - Biolabs - more exciting is good.
    A game dies when its always the same. People lose interest. Why are so less people realizing that?

SOE is only LUCKY that Planetside2 is so popular. But I totally see why that is.
    And that is OBVIOUSLY not because of Lattice, or the destruction of any content that blooms out of the unintented.
    It is because its the only real big and goodlooking Sci-Fi-Shooter MMORPG out there that focusses on a slightly realistic kind of combat.
    You cannot compare it with stuff likes "Tribes Ascend" cause this game is for survers and drifters and stuff.

Halo is not an MMO. If Halo would be available as MMO for PC... Planetside2 would have maybe only made 15% of the currents playerbase because its simply inferior in music, lore and heroism. <- But that is not SOE's fault. Its simply like this.
    But whoever holded the rights for Halo was always a Computerhater-factionist and never produced for PC's passionately.
    SOE's luck again. And now they are already going in unrepairable territory with their customers.

Once trust is lost - its simply hell to regain it.
    • Up x 1
  14. ghnurbles

It's a good change. People who are dying in close quarters now would almost always have died before the change too, they're just blaming it on the change now.
  15. Astraka

Try looking up 'Infiltration Carnage' on Youtube by Ztiller1991, and note that the man who is in those videos, seemingly an invincible ghost, is in fact the OP.
    • Up x 1
  16. JimPuckerfist

Just for the record I am neither for or against the IFF camo. I play mostly engineer/support and roles so it doesn't effect me directly. Though I do like playing as an infiltrator.

I just wanted to share a story from 2005, now this will seem a little off topic, but I promise I have a point. Back in 2005, my buddies and I would play a lot of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory Spies VS Mercenaries (CT for short), and we used to rely on the active camo in that game which I think is about equal to the Infiltrator camo if not a little worse. It was arguably the best tool for the spies in that game (From our opinion at the time) and it allowed us to trick many a gun toting mercenary. However when the Xbox 360 came out, a bug with CT appeared. A bright green outline would appear around the spy with the camo activated, instantly givng you away, no matter how dark or where you are. We had to drop the camo, and learn how to sneak our way around without it. Having to learn more about how people act when they are searching, what they'll actually be able to see, how to spot every mercenary in the area, and when to move through the entire area without being noticed. It was hard, but when we had learned from all our mistakes we were actually better spies without the camo than with it.

So maybe the best thing for infiltrators now is to learn to adapt to the new camo IFF. Chances are it isn't going anywhere, and if it does, then you are better at your role because of it.
  17. Ztiller

Do you realize how absolutely hilariously hypocritical your comment is, after you just held a lecture about how the Infiltrators shouldn't complain about the IFF?

I promise you taht i could just swap a few of the words in that comment, and it would become a great and whiny post about how the IFF is such a ****** decision.

Either be consistent in telling people who complain that they are noobs, including yourself, or don't say anything to begin with.
  18. Hoki

I still do this with giraffes. I see giraffe, shoot.
  19. Thostbog

This was a bad, unneeded nerf. I don't think anybody thought Infiltrators were overpowered.

Please take this back...
  20. Vanus Aran

Whatever.