So, what's the point of the spawn timer now?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Warhawx, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Warhawx

Since the MAX has been nerfed to cost 350 resources, I see no point in certing into respawn timer. I'm sure that all factions would agree that respawn timer won't matter anyways if you physically can't pull the resources together. I used my MAX thrice today, and every time got to about 7-8 killstreaks and survived for a very long time. And even then, I still can't afford the resources to pull a max.

I mean, why does this thing cost as much as a Galaxy when it can be run over by a harasser, or worse- a friendly harasser? I mean, if the enemy pulls a max crash, I could just create a new character on the enemy side, pull a harasser, and run them all over and boom- they lose 350 resources. And that's quite a lot.

I mean, it's pretty obvious SoE doesn't want us to play MAX, why not just remove it instead of pulling this crap? This wastes people's time and certs, and most of all everyone is being locked out from using something they probably spend 3000+ certs (dedicaded max) on previously and now can't afford to run it more than twice before resource regenerates.

This isn't only taking away the value of the respawn timer upgrade- it also takes away the value of every single cert you put into your MAX. Yeah, maybe a cost increase was justified. But to make it cost more than a lightning which can quite easily run it over or beat it into the ground? I don't even see why I should run dedicaded MAX now because even if I perform exceptionally, I'll only be able to do it very few times.
    • Up x 3
  2. Nicholai

Apparently they re-based all the costs off the average resources earned.

So, if you are not earning enough resources to get another MAX within the lifespan of your MAX, then you are worse than average at using a MAX.

Besides that...yes. MAX timer is pointless now. Either you are good and can earn the resources and live long enough not to care about the timer, or you are bad and cannot earn enough resources to re-use a MAX so the timer is pointless because its not what's limiting you.
    • Up x 1
  3. Rogueghost

If you earn exp on a base that provides infantry resources, you earn infantry resources faster, which is why if your earning a decent amount of exp you never run out of infantry resources in a biolab.
  4. Warhawx

You kidding me? I was running dual vortex yesterday, blew up 4 lightnings, 2 prowlers and killed 2 of the drivers who bailed in time, as well as killing infantry earlier with my blueshift before I switched my loadout. Guess what? I still can't afford that steep price of 350 resources. If that was below average for a MAX play, then the "average" MAX player must be absolutely godly.

EDIT: Make that 3 prowlers. Before I had to redeploy from behind enemy lines, I ran up to an amp station, melee'd a tunnel-vision infiltrator and sniped another prowler from the rear.
  5. Roarboar

The spawn timer is obsolete and the resource cost is just way over the top.
  6. Xocolatl

The problem is that most MAXes are coward MAX that just sits around and doesn't contribute to the team. They kill stragglers, etc--roles that could be done by just anyone hiding in the corner spamming.

It's good that the Devs are willing to change, but I think they took too simple a route in this calculation, so it seems.
  7. Nicholai

If that's how most MAX are used, then that is how MAX cost should be balanced. Dealing with the reality is more important than dealing with what you think reality should be.

If you think the way MAX are used is wrong, then that's a different subject.
  8. Jkar

This change actually encourages cowardice even more. I used my MAX as support, push into highly defended areas, stand in front of corpses that were being revived to take a few hits so they don't go down again and actually defend important objectives even if it gets me right into the line of suicide C4 droppers. It wasn't rare that my MAX got trashed just as the 5 minutes were up to pull the next one, but I'm rather confident that I made a difference most of the time.

With this new change, I hardly pull a MAX because I also like to play regular infantry from time to time and I use med kits and C4 quite often. It's just not fun anymore to play MAX while looking at your resource intake and sit back from the actual fight for half an hour before you can 'risk' getting involved. There's also the problem of traveling as a MAX, you can't redeploy to go where you're needed and there's not always a transport available. Welcome to the MAX the only infantry that has to regularly walk a few kilometers at less than infantry speed.
    • Up x 1
  9. Xocolatl

True that, I suppose. Ultimately, reality trumps any vision that the dev (but mainly me) has for the class. And I guess now it's balanced accordingly.
  10. wazdar

we need your money and you should spend them on subscriptions to be able to pull more MAXes. same with everything else
  11. Kicker

I think i would like a refund on the 70% worth of certs i have in my max. Its just not fun any more. Its the class i used to play the most but i can no longer pull due to resources. I pulled a max like others pull heavies with rocket launchers. i also play engi and HA so i need tank mines grenades and other things that cost the same resources.

It comes down to a choice i guess. Pull a max for 5 mins of play time, log off for the day and come back tomorrow and hope you have resources to pull it again. Really all there was a issue with maxes but this was not the correct fix for a class.

The point is that the increase was way to steep. Please reduce the cost of pulling or remove the timer.
  12. Ripshaft

If I only get 7-8 kills, I consider that max run to have been utterly rubbish, anything less than 20 and I'm doing something incredibly wrong, or just pulling a max in a situation that's bad for a max for fun or whatnot. My max cd is one level from max, and if I'm fighting in a area with infantry resources (like bout any biolab), my resources are back by the time I die, unless I get c4'd as I leave the spawn... which seems unlikely because I would have to be really off my game to fall for that.

As has been mentioned, the resources changes were made with the average player in mind. This does *not* mean that they want the average player to have infinate resources, I assume this is quite the opposite, and that only the exceptional should be having no problems with resources, when they are playing exceptionally. That said, the average player is pretty bad, relative to the skill spread, so alot of people who really aren't that amazing are technically exceptional.... the best kind of exceptional. I think for maxes there's an especially massive gap, between those who know how to pilot, and those who do not.

As a max pilot, and someone who's put the majority of their certs into max, I am all for this change, though I of course realize it's just a bandaid until the resource overhaul.
    • Up x 1
  13. TeddyMan56

I wouldn't mind the increased cost for a max if it had more health or something, they really cant take punishment well right now so 350 doesn't seem worth it. If they gave it more health or buffed the price back to 200-250 that would be more acceptable
  14. TerribleAtThisGame

I think an easy way to make the timer relevant while taking the pressure of the high infantry resource cost of a MAX unit is to split the resource cost of the MAX by which weapons they are using:

Assuming the 350 resource cost stays - 350 resources for dual / 175 per arm for split load-outs

AI weapons would cost infantry resources
    AV weapons would cost mechanized resources
    AA weapons would cost aerospace resources

This would make the MAX "cheaper" with different load-outs and allow players, who are dedicated MAX users, to use resources that are borderline worthless to them.

The real problem with this though is switching load-outs; there would have to a resource cost to change load-outs or something to not game the system.
  15. PwNrJoKeR

I disagree. I'm in plenty of situations where I need to change from AI to AA at the terminal or vice versa. No reason at all should I have to pay any sort of additional resources to do so.
  16. HeadshotVictim

A MAX in an infatry resource providing area will spit out so much inf resources you can built a house of C4 bricks and Mines, decorated by nice suits of MAX-Armor.

Trying to get resources with a MAX in an AMP-station is futile and will lead to a massive loss of inf resources.
    Trying to run a MAX without an Engineer and Medic around is futile as well.
    So running low on inf resources because of the MAX costs is simplay a players fault now.
    (Bad positioning is punished harder now... since everyone gets punished for stupid movement it's fine)
  17. Jkar

Wrong, a MAX player now gets punished if he does what a MAX does best in infantry battles, which is pushing the front lines and trying to break into rooms so your people can mop up. Positioning for a MAX is important for AV and AA duty but as AI unit often enough the enemy has the positional advantage and it's your job to change that.

The only AI MAX players that get rewarded are cowardly campers that care about their paint job getting scratched and running away at the first sign of a gun being pointed at them to hide behind their engineer. And in case you didn't notice yet, fighting in an infantry resource base is fine and good, but that's usually not where you actually need to fight to make a difference. So now you have to decide on if you fight for yourself or fight to actually try to hold or assault a facility your empire need.
  18. HeadshotVictim

I meant more that a MAX-Player needs to look in which area he fights. if it doesn't provide inf resources he needs to play different than in a BioLab, where he will get resources thrown after him until he shouts STOP.
    It is the question in which location you fight in.
    If you fight in an area providing no inf resources he must be really careful to avoid dieing in places he cant get rezzed properly.
    A MAX is there to GIVE his infantry an advantage when the enemie has the better position.

But for 100 inf resources anyone could get a MAX every 4 minutes or something, which made the MAXes throw-away toys. Now they have a value. A value that is not viable in BioLabs (s.a.) but in AmpStation and TechPlants. (As well as smaller bases)
  19. YamiNoTenshi

Seeing threads like this makes roadkilling MAXes with my ESF even more satisfying.
  20. Longman

I have certed spawn timer to max of 5 mins long ago. now this high resources make me frustrated. If you have bad luck you'll lose your max within seconds being run over by a friendly vehicle. I don't mind dying that’s why i certed the spawn timer. Now I need to stay where the infantry resources are most. I used to switch from max to LA to be able to take a ride to the next base, and once I was there I switched back to max. Now I have a problem more to move from one base to the next because I won’t give up my max and will have to run all the way or have to find a thunderer that a) won’t mow me down by accident or b) ride in the wrong direction or c) won’t move at all.

The max was very hard on soloplay. Since ever you needed a mechanic at your butt or use the very slow self rep-suit. Now I am addicted to medics that as usual won’t be able to resurrect me after 10 secs being dead.

Please. Lower the resources. 350 is ridiculous high.