So I got the Auraxium Medal on the AC-X11...

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by DiHorizon, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Pikachu

I bought the AC-X11 with the idea of using it for long range stealth. Suppressor+HV. Everytime I use it I keep questioning weather it was a good idea or not. :L
  2. Ghoest

No. Its a lie - its the worst CQC carbine available even with 5 more rounds(btw Im not one of the people who thinks 5 more rounds will help it much.).

Over half of my kills with it were using the 1x scope. And I have killed hundreds of people inside 10 yards with it. Its the worst option in CQC because if they rush you hip fire isnt an option.
    Like I said before - its a great gun for shooting people in the back.

The Merc and even the Razor are better options not to mention the GD-7F.
  3. Ghoest

IMO its really not worth even messing with with out the compensator. Sure you can use it and kill some people - but you would be better off using the merc with a suppressor.
  4. TeknoBug

Razor with suppressor/grip/HVA for mid-long, Compact S with suppressor/laser/SPA for short. You could use the compact S for long with HVA however the recoil or accuracy is a little off, I've tried numerous times shooting it at range and it doesn't compare to the Razor.
  5. HeadshotVictim

just ignore Wolfwood82 and go on with your thread as if this guy doesn't even exist.
    I think it makes discussions in the carbine section MUCH easier and a whole lot more fruitful.

I think as well that the AC-X11 needs a slight buff (I'd prefer bullet velocity, but 25 round mag would be nice as well). (Yes, this is just here to justify my post...:D )
  6. DiHorizon

For someone who accuses me of excessive hubris and over-assertion, you sure do invent a lot of fallacies about the games industry and the PlanetSide 2 team in particular.

If you'll take the time to read my post, rather than project arrogance onto my facetious preface, you may notice that I presented a subjective opinion based on a great deal of time using the weapon. In no way did I suppose that this qualifies me to rebalance the weapon, nor did I make a sqpreadhseet to justify my opinion. I related my experiences and provided a recommendation to new players as to wether on not the gun is worth the cert price.

The most enlightening part of your post is this line "Gamer's really don't have the mentality for balancing weapons [...] used by them or their team." In which you demonstrate your preferred faction bias and provide a singularly flawed argument to dismiss any counter claims as being simple faction bias. As a (presumably) Terran player, does your experience show the AC-X11 as being an effective weapon? It must be hard to tell, given how few experienced players use it.

Edit: as a side note, if I were to ever "play dev with a weapon," I would be animating the reloads. That is my area of professional expertise.
    • Up x 2
  7. CanadianAttackBeaver

Don't worry about that clown. I can prove Wolfwood quantitatively wrong, and he still won't shut up. He'll just flip his argument, I'll prove him wrong again, and he'll just pop up like a zit somewhere else with something else to say.

He's nothing but an ignorant loudmouth who massively overestimates his intelligence and analytical ability.

I, for one, agreed with your insights. I'm a hundred or so kills away from Auraxium with the AC-X11 and I've modeled the damage drop off & kills per magazine of every carbine in the game at various ranges. Wolfwood is completely and utterly full of sh*t.
    • Up x 1
  8. jak

I wonder how many devs have auraxium in the weapons they've created. Actually, I wonder how many actually have any significant time spent playing the game.

As a developer for 12+ years, user input in how the functionality I've created is vital to improving the end product. Ignoring user opinions because I wrote the code would be one of the most egotistical things I could imagine a professional developer would do.
    • Up x 2
  9. TeknoBug

Believe me, LOTS of devs out there are like that, they're unwilling to take feedback from people that are actually using their design. SWG comes in mind and of course the Call of Duty series where that series just gets worse each release.
  10. DiHorizon

Wow, 12 years in the industry.

I'd shake your hand if I could. In the year I've spent freelancing, I've only met a few people who have lasted anywhere near that long.
  11. Frazzle

I have over 2100 kills with the AC-X11, by far my favorite Carbine (Frylthee on Waterson). Most of the suggested tweaks would probably make the weapon overpowered, but a faster bullet velocity would balance it out nicely.

Once you get used to the slow bullet velocity and fire one shot at a time, the AC-X11 is a monster at long range. It shines at medium range, but really requires controlled bursting. Although not great, the AC-X11 is very underrated at short range. Just zoom and shoot for the head. Only hip fire if you're practically touching the target with the end of the barrel.

Like most guns, you really don't need more than a x2 site. There is rarely a good reason to **** most weapons at close range, and with practice, the x2 is very effective at long range.

Although I rarely use the AC-X11 as Engi, it was my preferred weapon for LA before I shelved it to medal with other weapons. The AC-X11 makes LAs effective at engaging at all ranges and really gives the creative player a well rounded class that is very adaptable and can thrive in a wide variety of combat situations.

I truly miss using the AC-X11, but it is necessary to experience a wide variety of weapons to become a better player..
    • Up x 1
  12. HerpTheDerp

In general, yes. AC-X11, no.

AC-X11 damage line: 200@10m, 143@85m
    Gauss Rifle damage line: 167@10m, 143@75m

More damage per bullet than the default NC AR at every range.

And AC-X11's attachments and recoil pattern aren't?

Base recoil of 0.45. That's high, yes. First shot multiplier of 1.5x. That's very low, but balanced by the high base recoil.

Hovewer if you throw an Adv. Forward grip on it, the base recoil drops to 0.3 - same as Gauss Rifle - while the first shot multiplier is still 1.5x. And of course it has a low rate of fire, so the recoil doesn't kick as much in practice. And of course AC-X11 has first shot ADS cone of fire of 0 - it's perfectly accurate with the first shot. All this means it's a beast in stationary ADS. Which is just the playstyle of some LA.

The only real problem with AC-X11 is the lower overall damage potential(because of the lower ammo count).
  13. Frazzle

The low ammo count is necessary for balance. To me, the only real problem is the slow projectile speed.
    • Up x 1
  14. Wolfwood82

Which is necessary to keep it from being a beast at longer ranges where the Razor is suppose to be the go-to weapon.

I've been trying to say this whole time that there is method to the madness.

First off, my statement included the words "CQC ambush". Which typically means "target does not know what is hitting them".

Secondly, all carbines are incredibly weak under 10 yards. The delivery of their projectiles leaves little to no room for error and the closer you get to the target, the harder it is to aim with or without hip fire (every movement is more exaggerated in speed). However as per usual the problems of the AC-X11 can be reduced by using laser sight. It's horizontal recoil isn't so bad that it can't be manually compensated for while it's CoF could use reduction. It makes the weapon at least a little more manageable in CQC hip fire wise.

Though the more I consider the LA class in general, the more I feel CQC is a huge mistake for us to engage in.
  15. Lucidius134

So this thread is pretty pooped up. Not gonna bother going near that flame war.

The reason why the AC-X11 has its current damage table is because that' how carbines and ar's are balanced globally.

Gauss RIfle 167 @ 10m | 143 @ 75
    AF-19 Merc: 167 @ 10m | 125 @ 75m

T1 Cycler 143 @ 10m | 125 @ 65m
    TRAC-5 143 @ 10m | 112 @ 65m

Reaper DMR 200 @ 10m | 167 @ 85m
    AC-X11 200 @ 10m | 143 @ 85m

It's the main trait of every carbine versus their assualt rifle counter part.

A velocity buff? Maybe. Again, carbines always have much less velocity than their AR counterparts.

In short:

I think it was kind of intentional that they not be as good at range as the Reaper DMR because thats its territory. Part of the issue is that some weapons that arn't meant for long range can perform at long range, leading to these optimal choices.
  16. HerpTheDerp

It's 480 to Merc's 500... and you can slap HVA on it.
  17. THUGGERNAUT

for the same 250 you can now get the razor, an infinitely better carbine than the AC-X11, which is sick right out of the box. even when you spend 330+ extra certs on the AC-X11 to bring it up to snuff, it is still a second-rate gauss saw wannabe with 1/5 the magazine capacity.

or you could just put 30 certs into a scope on the AF19 and outperform the AC-X11 in 99% of combat situations.
  18. Frazzle

I'm using the Razor right now and am not that impressed. I prefer the AC-X11 in almost all situations.
  19. Frazzle

If the Razor is supposed to be for longer range, then why would it have a higher capacity, much better hip fire accuracy, damage dropoff 10m shorter, a much higher ROF and no semi-auto mode (not that anyone should need one). You really should spend a significant time with these guns before developing such strong opinions about them.
  20. CanadianAttackBeaver

First you say the AC-X11 is limited from being a "beast at the longer ranges" and now you stay the ammo count is there to limit from being a "beast in the close quarter ranges".

I have quantitatively proved you wrong on both counts. The AC-X11 is clearly not a long range carbine, which you have finally come to realize. The AC-X11 is clearly not a CQC carbine, as the TTK (regardless of methodology) and kills per magazine shows.

This leaves the mid-range where, as I have stated for a while, the AC-X11 excels in its niche. However, the AC-X11 still lacks the kills per magazine of the other carbines (even those who specialize at either range extremes) at the mid range. Upping the ammo count of the AC-X11 magazine would not impact the role of the weapon, as the recoil, rate of fire, bloom and bullet velocity limits the weapon's viability in both CQC and long range. Excluding the GD-7F (which is clearly designed for CQC), all NC carbines have the capability to kill 4 targets between 15 and 45 metres; the AC-X11 can accomplish 3.

At 50 metres all NC carbines (again, excluding the GD-7F) can manage 3 kill per magazine and remain at this capacity regardless of range.
    At 55 metres the AC-X11 falls of to 2 kills per magazine and remains there.

The only range where the AC-X11 has an identical KPM to the other NC carbines is 50 to 55 metres. I would love to hear how giving this weapon the capacity to take down an extra target in the 15 to 50 metre ranges (which a 25 round magazine would grant) would somehow make this gun the go-to option in all cases.

I'll assume you haven't tried the GD-7F.

And, just to be clear, you (now) agree that the AC-X11 is far from being a "beast in CQC"?