The Tale of the Striker. A short story.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Valerye, May 20, 2013.

1. Valerye

It's roughly 1:00am on Indar. I'm flying in a brand-new, minute-old Scythe, enjoying the freedom of the night sky and the aesthetics of my lumifiber. Suddenly I hear the lock on alert and I see the flashes on my HUD. I take a sharp banking roll down into a canyon to break the lock, but it's too late. The missile is away. I deploy my flares, but the lock sound doesn't stop. I roll back onto my horizontal axis and pull up into the air, and hit the afterburners, determined to outrun the lock. But I can't. I look down at my minimap and realize with utter horror that I'm over Terran Republic territory. This is a no-fly zone. All too quickly I realize what I'm attempting to contend with. A noobtube, with a five-round magazine of heat-seeking rockets that clip through terrain. A Striker. And flares only work on the first rocket. Unabashed, I hit the afterburners, and accelerate away at over 350km/h. But it's not enough. By now the Terran Republic soldier has reloaded and has another five missiles flying after me. Despite having my extra fuel tanks equipped, and spending more than 10 seconds at 350km/h, meaning I should be roughly 1100m away, I fear it is not enough. I reluctantly glance down at my cockpit display. "LOCK" is lit up, in iridescent neon blue. I resign myself to my fate, and despite being two and a half hexes away from the original lock-on point, back into "safe" Vanu Sovereignty territory, the first of the rockets impacts with a sickening thud. Followed by another. And another. And another... My once beautiful Scythe is in flames, tumbling from the sky like a meteor from the heavens. "Goodbye, sweet Vanu" I whisper into my flight helmet's microphone as I crash into the ground, exploding on impact into a vibrant red ball of flame. All is darkness.

Based on a true story.
    • Up x 19
  2. Eclipson

Cool story bro, tell it again. :cool:
    • Up x 5
  3. Nobalification

Magrider use magburn and strafe to left/right 100km/h in 0,7 sec. End of story.
  4. Onetoo

Lock-on weapons should never have been put into the game in my opinion.

..but at the same time, I have been abusing the hell out of them vs air ever since the super ninja-buff they received recently. I'm somewhat ashamed, but I can't say no to free, easy certs.

On a somewhat related note, do any good pilots not equip flares on their ESF? If so, please share your survival strategy. It was at one time possible to use terrain and maneuvers to evade lock-on missiles, but that is now a thing of the past.
  5. Eclipson

Lol, though my post above was pretty dumb, I at least read the story, and it was in fact, a cool story. He was flying a sythe, and was killed by a Striker. He used is flares, but they didn't work, and flew as far away as he could, and still died. He wasn't even in a Magrider. Where the heck did you get that from? :confused:
    • Up x 1
  6. Valerye

Irrelevant and not an excuse to give ONE faction a weapon which completely denies air support.
    • Up x 5
  7. Nobalification

This what he says is another topic of Striker. Yes i know its bugged but really? 10+topics about Striker but only one about magburn and strafe of magrider. This is why i get this.
  8. ItsJustDash

Because the Striker has been complete BS since it was introduced. Hell the NC's counter part got the damn nerf bat pretty damn quickly.
    • Up x 5
  9. RocketKhruschev

:rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  10. Holomang

Terrain.

Use it.
    • Up x 2
  11. KAHR-Alpha

I've yet to see that happen, even since GU8, and I've fired thousands of them, so you're either describing a weird bug or spreading misinformation on purpose.
    • Up x 2
  12. Valerye

Well it happens to me every time I use flares against the Striker.

Striker rockets are bugged and clip through terrain. Idiot.

Csb. I love how you guys ***** and whine about the Annihilator, but now that you've got your own "Hyper-Annihilator" you're suddenly silent. Strange.
    • Up x 1
  13. KAHR-Alpha

Submit a bug report then, because here enemy flares effectively break the tracking of all five missiles.
    • Up x 4
  14. Nobalification

You idiot we are not silent but if we must say same thing on 10+ topics we have only few word for you. JUST LOOK AROUND KID.
  15. GSZenith

so mr solo flyboy couldn't go alone over enemy ter i feel for you i mean whenever i drive my lightning to vs warpgate to "tank fight" i never get killed and when i drive my tank towards amp station when "platoons detected" they just let me drive into the middle and farm away, i don't get lancer/av turret/dumfire/tankshelled/c4 etc at all since i'm a ACE tank driver!

/sarcasm off.

edit: oh yeah forgot, stop solo? and no the 10ppl hiding at an outpost is not gonna help you much.
    • Up x 2
  16. RocketKhruschev

Whenever a plane dives, the rockets decide to commit suicide by chasing the plane all the way to the ground. And one or two rockets doesn't do that much damage-- I get a lot of assists and no kills from using the Striker.
  17. Splort

I don't understand how this is any different than when everyone had annihilators and camped on hills and tower tops? The grounder does the same thing, too, but it can only attack air. This is much ado about nothing, the only difference is just about everyone got a striker. Just about everyone got a phoenix too, and seeing the streams of blue rockets coming out of spawns are really annoying, and wreck sunderers that aren't 300+ meters away, but there's not 90 threads about that on every possible forum the mods allow "nerf striker" threads on.
    • Up x 1
  18. sam38

The striker most definitely still hits after flares are deployed, not all the times for me it is a rare occurrence but occasionally it gets me with usually 2. Another note about terrain, it most definitely noclips mountains, not all the times but once again, sometimes it does. don't give this cry nonsense, the striker is currently broken. I don't use lockons on any of my characters because personally I prefer weapons that involve skill, thus the decimator. Frankly 1shotting an esf with a decimator is much infinitely more satisfying than killing an esf with a lockon. A good pilot will not die to strikers very often, it tends to be more of bad luck or getting greedy and chasing that mosquito deeper into TR territory after u have already burned ur flares. That mechanic in itself is actually pretty lame if ur a mosquito pilot u simply have to fly anywhere near TR territory and the magical striker shield is activated instantly clearing any esf from your tail because apparently ur not cool unless u roll with a striker so everyone seems to have one. Conclusion? DOWN WITH THE NO SKILL WEAPONS LONG LIVE THE DECIMATOR! lol
  19. NoctD

Yeah hit PgUp and record it for us the next time please. Would love to see it. :cool:
  20. ErrdayHetzering

So damn true.

I dare you Terrans to roll a NC or VS char, then try to give some air support at a TR contested base. Beep beep beeps will be had.

Having the best ESF and the best passive AA weapon in the game combined with exclusively the highest pop at all times during the day (atleast on my server.) Equals air dominance, and you're either ignorant or stupid if you try to deny that.

Give Terrans the phoenix and the reaver. And NC the mossie and striker for a week. These forums would be filled with QQ.
    • Up x 2