Played LA For 2 Hours: Already Know Why It's Unpopular

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Alarox, May 13, 2013.

1. Wildclaw

I guess you haven't been to the HA forums. The HA AV capabilities have been screamed about since day one, and far louder than the bickering about C4 has ever been. It has grown far worse since the ESRLs were introduced.

I would love to see Carbine, Shotgun and/or SMG statistics by class, perhaps for a slightly higher BR as well.
    Just to get something inter-class statistics that are only indirectly tied to the class abilities.

Perhaps if we ask CupBoy (the guy who maintains the spreadsheet) nicely he could provide something?
  2. Hagestol

How do we reach him? Kinda har to provide feedback (although our LA jetpack noise complaints did go somewhere) without proper numbers to base it on.

I'd also like to see dynamic excel graphs comparing weapons, classes etc with. Say class x and class y, giving a graph that shows kills over different BR intervals etc. Excel is amazing once you use it correctly.
  3. CupBoy

Unfortunately, there's no way to split the weapons data by class. I agree that it would be nice to have but I don't see a way to do it with the available data.
  4. Wildclaw

0.79 0.83 0.83 0.84 0.84 0.85 0.86 0.88
    0.83 0.82 0.81 0.83 0.83 0.85 0.86 0.90
    0.76 0.79 0.80 0.85 0.87 0.86 0.86 0.90

That is ratios (LA/HA for each faction) with BR 1-10 being to the far left and BR 71-80 being to the far right. LAs definitely grow faster than HA as BR go up.

It looked even better before GU08, where the average of the last column was 94.3%. Considering LA weapons didn't really suffer more than HA weapons from the patch, my suspicion is that it mainly has to do with the greater focus on vehicle combat since the GU08 armor buffs. But that is pure speculation.

Too bad.
  5. Hagestol

I'll concede the ratio point, I'm in the middle of my finals and I didn't look at the numbers right.

Though, at br 71-80 HA scores : 16800-17500 and LA scores: 15800 - 16700
    The point still stands even though the LA has growth. If LA rewards skill more than LA, they should have a greater score on average at high levels when people actually know how to play - a higher skill ceiling. Right now it just looks like the skill floor is at the bottom for HA, middle high for LA, while the skill ceiling is a bit higher for HA than LA, leaving them with more score even at "maximum" skill.

The folksy way to say it is that LA starts out crap and ends up slightly worse than HA when you master it. Thats not rewarding skill imo.
  6. X3Killjaeden

I'd like to like LA, but i always seem to run out of bullets so quick, and since i'm usually in a flanking position i have to go back first to resupply/find ammo boxes. And its only C4 or Medkit...
    LA should get an additional utility slot (perhaps with a couple of other toys to chose from)
  7. Liewec123

as a max i totally disagree.
    i've poured well over 4000 certs into my max so naturally i HATE getting one shotted by some flying guy HURLING c4.
    from a max perspective LA are the least useless class.
    • Up x 1
  8. Rigsta

When me and one other LA jetpack out of a tower under siege and C4 the enemy AMS, that kind of makes a difference.

Someone having a different opinion to you doesn't mean they're insulting you.

LA's role is mobile firepower, demolitions, and flash grenades. It is a supremely capable combat class.
    • Up x 1
  9. SinerAthin

Light Assault?

Unpopular?

What the...

They are AMAZING, you git.
    Just go near a tower, biolab, tech plant; whatever, and you'll see a fluster of Light Assaults wielding shotguns & C4, channeling the spirit of John Rambo and Boba Fett as they jet-around like maniacs.
  10. Hagestol

Capable indeed. But lacking the oomph in regular group play. It is far easier to kill a AMS with two AV maxes / ESRL heavies than two LA- because both LA have to arrive at the AMS, they have to use time to deploy at least 3 C4 and destroy them. And both LA will probably die in the process. And it costs 300-400 resources to attempt it.

They are unpopular, only the medic is less played. The usual suspects LA around towers don't actually contribute much to anything else than their own KDR. Unless they are actively destroying turrets - even empty ones. And there isn't much to gain xp wise by doing so.
    The point is that the skill floor AND the cert investment for decent LA play is rather high, but the skill ceiling doesn't actually give you a higher score than the average High BR heavy assault.

Higher investment and higher skill ceiling should be rewarded with a higher score. Currently the gap is only closed by 10-15% up to a 90% score vs the HA, even though LA takes much more effort top lay well.
  11. Canaris

is the OP like a crazy person?
  12. Rigsta

Depends on the situation. Long range with clear line of fire and time to get enough shots fired = lancer all the way. Or a tank.

And anyone can die in the attempt to do anything in PS2.

LA may not have some wonder statistic to show its dominance, but the jetpack, good weapons, flash grenades and C4 mean it can often flank & succeed where others cannot.

And we all know resources aren't really much of a limiting factor. I just re-stock everything to 40/40 every now and then.
  13. Hagestol

After a good FNO I'm usually down to 10 C4 and 5 grenades, so it depends on how you use it.

And line of sight is a non factor in a game where you can click squad deploy and run your pod to LOS / get a disposable scythe / get a disposable vehicle.
  14. Rubius

Here's my LA gameplay video. LA is a great class if you're really good. If you are average, or bad, then it's a pretty useless class. Nevertheless, I feel my video demonstrates how to use it.

15. Ketobor

I don't want to be a dick here or anything, but you seem to do significantly less as LA than I do as HA (according to the statistics), while I am half your BR and consider myself relatively unskilled. Your best of video doesn't really lend itself to your argument very well.
  16. Rubius

Wouldn't surprise me. I rarely play LA. I'm a Scythe pilot. Most of my time as LA is spent inside the cockpit, so I can bail out if I get shot down. My main infantry classes are HA or Engi.

The video is not a "best of" as you put it. That all happened in 30 minutes and I only died once. The parts that were cut, were parts with no action.

Also, your stats show that you rarely play LA and you have a whopping 0.76 KDR, so not to be a dick, but I don't think you're qualified to pass judgement on how LA should be played.
  17. Hagestol

Just a factoid: 0,76 is above the average KDR, and probably over the LA specific if we're to take the low avg LA score/hour into consideration.
  18. Ketobor

Beat me to it.

Anyway, I consider a best of video a video that cuts out pieces of gameplay to make it more interesting. You(Rub) seem to value K/D alot, rather than getting things done.
  19. Rubius

I guess you didn't see me risk myself to repair the SCU or capture points. And don't let the killing sprees throw you off. I always keep my eye on the objective.
  20. Ketobor

All I am saying is, you call it a 'great class', but you have failed to make a compelling case for that.

You don't do that well with it yourself. It averages below other classes in Score per Hour, It is less played than other classes. It is just generally lacking.

It has its uses, but that doesn't mean it is good. That just means you use it for those reasons then get out of it asap. This means the class needs work.

I argue that this is best done by Emp Grenades, Empire Specific Light Assault weapons, and a weaker but free C4 alternative. I do not think this stance unreasonable.