Is the game ready or can handle the lattice ?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Stew360, May 15, 2013.

1. Stew360

Ive seen something that is frequent when a specifics regions is way to heavy loaded with players ..

The game start to be unresponsive , medickit wont work , medic ability wont heal ,revive wont work unless you track the target for about 1 minute for a single revive , repair tool wont repair unless you repair for like 10 minute for womething that normally take 10 sec , hit registration will mess up , lag will be intense and player pop out of nowhere at fewer distance

in another word when the concentration of player in a regions is to high it seams to break the game , is the game engineer as work to improove this issue to make the lattice manageable ? or are we going to face a constant cluster where lag , hit registrations medickit , medic ability repair ability and even grenade are all mess up ?
    • Up x 1
  2. Strottinglemon

Have you tried playing on something other than a rock?
    • Up x 1
  3. Alarox

Lag has absolutely nothing to do with your PC specs. Have you tried thinking with something other than a rock?
    • Up x 1
  4. Stew360

As i saw it on matherson sith TE and AOD etc... infantry and vehicules spams

thsi game isnt ready to handle battle of this scales on small ourpost and tower , it simply break the game make everything laggy and unresponsive so the only (( playable class become the HA ))

Way to large army cant be suported well in the game yet

it create to much issue and the lattice could amplified that ... hope it will work but iam pretty 90 % sure that it sill create servers and lag issue
  5. ItsJustDash

Yeah there has been a hell of a lot of server lag as of late. (from Waterson)

Tonight it was just about unplayable. Ammo was not working, healing and repairing. Also the hit registration was beyond off.
    • Up x 1
  6. Stew360 Translator

During my experience within planetside I have noticed that when there are large numbers of players within the same hex the server starts to have difficulties. Specifically, any form of healing (including reviving players), repairing and hit registration seem to be extremely unresponsive. Additionally I also seem to have problems relating to rendering other players.

In other words when there is a large concentration of players within the same hex the server seems to break down under the heavy load. Is this problem currently being worked on by the game developers? My concerns are that without improving the servers ability to handle large numbers of players within the same hex these issues will start becoming commonplace, especially with the introduction of the lattice system.
    • Up x 6
  7. Stew360 Translator

During today on my server (Mattherson) I witnessed several large outfits using large amounts of infantry and various vehicles, the server became extremely unresponsive with these large outfits in the same area.

I believe that this game isn't ready to handle large scale battles involving large numbers of players. Specifically, the servers don’t seem to be able to handle large amounts of players in the same area; the server simply breaks down and becomes extremely unresponsive. The server becomes so unresponsive the only viable class is the heavy assault. This game simply can’t support large numbers of players in the same area in its current state in my opinion.

I fear that with the introduction of the lattice system this problem will be amplified and more commonplace.
    • Up x 4
  8. Stew360

Thanks you stew360 translator
  9. UnDeaD_CyBorG

The servers admittedly can't handle the described stress too well.
    Every Indar Alert essentially has that result, and if 2 factions fight for a biolab in a 2vs1 platoon attack, the game is on edge already.
    It's a valid point I never quite thought about.
  10. UKAvenger

Shoot this one down in flames!

Random thought: Alerts

What if an (a type of) Alert (mission whatever) did this:

(during a high, near equal spread population situation only, should they exist)

NC get told to capture Indar
    TR get told to capture Indar

TR get told to capture Amerish
    VS get told to capture Amerish

VS get told to capture Esamir
    NC get told to capture Esamir

Assume each empire has approx 33% global population and each empire has what, approx 1000 players each? or whatever they have i dont know.

NC, TR population caps set at 400 for Indar.
    NC, VS population caps set at 400 for Esamir
    VS, TR population caps set at 400 for Amerish

leaving 200 free to play on the 4th,5th,6th continent whatever.

This would create 3 fights, each a 1 on 1 (which trust me are faaaar more enjoyable than futile three ways)

I dont like alerts at the moment and no i dont like the above idea of forcing a 2 empire battle but hey, just a thought. Could tweak pop caps if a general global population imbalance is present. I much prefer the idea of one on ones happening naturally via a global lattice. Need a few more conts for that one though!

11. Stew360

This is my main fear about the lattice , (( servers crash )) where grenade , medkit , repair tool , medic tool , nano self healing , hit registration , all of that become unresponsive and clunky ... and everysingle time ive experience that was when a single region or small outpost is overloaded by zergsfits

It seams to broke the game

Do you remeber the EMPIRE showdown Bastion figths on amerish ? It as broken the game in a bad way

Tower fing and small outpost can suport around 100 to 120 players MAXS and 50 vs 50 is ideal in this type of senarios more than that it migth break the game for some reason

Bigger facility can handle more players ( exepted biolab ) inside the biolab i mean
  12. Stew360 Translator

My primary fear about the implementation of the lattice system is that the server will not be able to adequately cope with large amounts of players being concentrated to certain areas. In my experience, whenever there have been large amounts of players in a single area the server starts to struggle under this heavy load, which makes many things such as hit registration or repairing to become delayed or entirely unresponsive. Simply put, it breaks the game.

Does anyone here remember the empire showdown event? During this event when large amounts of players fought in the same area the server became extremely unresponsive. This highlighted how the servers don’t seem to be able to cope when large amounts of players are concentrated to specific areas.

In my opinion areas of the map that contain small outposts or towers can only support around 100-120 players at maximum, although 50 vs 50 would be the ideal. If there are more than 120 players the server seems to start having issues. The bigger areas, such as Biolabs, seem to be able to handle larger amounts of players.
    • Up x 1
  13. Strottinglemon

Let me rephrase that, stop using a rock as a modem. I'm playing on a decent modem with a decent computer, nothing fancy, and I am totally fine even in massive battles. (Yes, even lattice battles on the test server) It sounds like you have zero idea how the game works. Some stuff is handled client side, while other stuff is server side. You need both a good computer and a good connection with said server. Even if you have a kickass supercomputer, you will still lag if you're playing on an old modem or have a bad internet provider, which is what it sounds like OP is doing. I'm just trying to help here. A setup that can communicate with the server well and handle rendering, hit detection and other client side calculations is how you can get rid of the lag problems.

If you didn't know, hit detection (which is what OP is complaining about) is handled server side. Asinine, I know, but it means you need a good connection.
  14. Levtech

Isn't that why it is on the test server?
  15. LibertyRevolution

Yep, UES at the bastion is the perfect example of what every battle will be like when lattice hits live...
    This was my complaint when the first pic of lattice was posted...

Test server is useless in testing server stress, less people are on the test server than VR training..
  16. Eugenitor

Say what? PS2 has always had CSHD. It's one of the major problems. If it was Quake-style SSHD we wouldn't be getting shot around corners or in surprise-packet bursts so much. True server-side hit detection means that the server determines if the players get hit. PS2 allows players to tell the server "I hit this guy" with few, if any, checks.

Certain things, like repairing and healing, are handled on the server, though.
  17. Bill Hicks

Just stop talking. You have no idea what you are talking about. Modem? seriously?
  18. chilly154

The servers can handle this. Were you in the beta? I remember seeing 300 people with out any problems. It just probably servers issues just like any other mmos have or even game.
  19. Eclipson

Yea, I hope they optimize the game before lattice. I tend to avoid really big battles becuase I know it will be laggy as heck, but with Lattice, I could really do this, so they better optimize the game before they put out lattice.
  20. Torok

i gotta say performance really improved since launch, 60 fps almost all the time, very high quality settings, atleast for me ofcourse, with physx off since it's not stable yet,
    so i'm not scared of the chokepoints that we'll have once gu09 is out, after all population has dropped since release and even with the latest server merges we currently don't have the same numbers as those times, and the performance there was good with such mobs of players, i'm pretty sure it will handle just fine :)
    for those who have a computer that can afford it anyway

sometimes i've experienced huge packet loss playing planetside 2 but that had nothing to do with the population of server/current hex