[Poll] Should Infiltrators be able to hack vehicles?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dr. Euthanasia, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duvenel

You'd be surprised how easy it is to actually infiltrate a vehicle terminal.
  2. Koldorn

Major changes would be needed.

-Current motion detector grants 'spot bonus' xp for enemies killed within the sensor's radii.
    -New tool: REK hack tool. Takes motion detector's slot.
    -Rank 1: neutralizes turrets / terminals / slowly unlocks doors.
    -Rank 2: neutralizes turrets / takes over terminals / unlocks doors.
    -Rank 3: takes over turrets / terminals / unlocks doors / disables vehicles (X duration)
    -Rank 4: takes: turrets / terminals / doors, disables vehicles / quickly take over mines.
    -Rank 5: takes turrets / terminals / doors, neutralizes vehicles (until re-hacked, lower level tool) / quickly takes over mines.

-Add locking doors to large facilities only.
    -Return the old cloak as a new cloaking module. Duration-less cloaking; but you become visible as you move. Faster movement makes you more visible. To the point where running should make you light up like a heavy with its shield on.
    -Add darklight for all classes; takes utility slot.

I hate to keep doing throwbacks here: but PS1 had it better. You had a Hacker / Infiltrator, and a sniper. Separate. I don't see combining the two as a valid excuse to gut the Hacker play-style out of existence.

Granted I like the other idea about putting the sniper and cloak on the same "slot" or making them mutually exclusive... but color my opinion biased over years of sneaking around with nothing but a pistol.

Also want old cloak back. Duration-less... but you become more visible the faster you move.
  3. Vaphell

yeah, because every single sundie parked behind some rock has a conveniently placed inf terminal right next to it. Besides i main inf and have no c4 on any class, 2 at mines on engie. Stock dumbfire rocket on HA is the closest to what you are trying to say.
  4. Teegeeack

easy but relatively pointless if there's any significant enemy presence.
  5. LT_Latency

/sigh, so you just stopped there team from making tanks for 5 mins. Do you know how many tanks a team can spawn in 5 mins??? More then a person can possible blow up.

plus you can spawn your own to start causing chaos inside the base

It very very good.
  6. Aimeryan

I'll say one more time, specifics don't matter. Someone else is bound to think of a balanced way to do it that you haven't - unless you believe you are omniscient? All that matters is, should infiltrators be able to affect vehicles in a game balanced around this fact, like everyone else?
  7. Chubrokoli

Yes and if its just deactivating a vehicle for some time or only deactivating a sunderer
  8. }{ellKnight

@ Dr. Euthanasia
    Like I said, not every class is supposed to counter vehicles easily. Medics can't for example, they lack mobility and/or stealth to do it reliably. And I'm not complaining about that. I rely on other people to do it for me, I'm not a one man army capable of easily crippling an entire attack.

Same goes for infiltrators currently, they can't easily disable or destroy vehicles, they have to hack a turret or a vehicles terminal to be able to do it. And you shouldn't complain about that, you should learn the limits of your class, avoid them and play to your strengths.
  9. Duvenel

Try working in a platoon/outfit. Works wonders when you see a bunch of infiltrators suddenly spamming what used to be your terminal with sunderers.
  10. Posse

No, it means that if you don't protect the sundy, you're screwed, it's not like you need many people, one good heavy assault is enough to stop any infiltrator easily.
  11. RoMoronik666

I play 90% as infiltrator.

It is VERY easy to get close to a tank, unless you are in a wide open space. So hacking should be longer than a turret hack in my opinion.
    Also, I think completely hijacking it is OP.

Perhaps either a) simply disabling it for 1min. unable to fire or move.

or b) eject driver AND makes the tank NEUTRAL, unable to be entered by anyone for 1min. This would be enough time for the driver and the infiltrator to fight. After 1 min whoever enters first takes the vehicle. By then, either the driver or the infiltrator is likely to be dead.
  12. Vaphell

there is easy, there is tricky and then there is actually impossible on 98% of the map. Infs deal with the last one and the other class perk (hacking) is, you guessed it, also actually impossible on 98% of the map because terminals and turrets don't grow on trees.

Let's change the assumption... "Not every class is supposed to counter infantry easily". Does any class completely suck against infantry? No? Why not? It makes as much sense as being worthless against mech in a very mech-centric game.
  13. Oathblivion

Yes.

I'd prefer turret style hacking, with an appreciably long timer to do so, so that taking over an occupied vehicle is a feat, instead of the norm.

I am absolutely against any sort of hacking implementation that interferes with the vehicle's movement or weapons. You see, if there's one thing gamers hate, it's feeling helpless. If hacking made the vehicle, let's say a tank, unable to move and/or shoot for x amount of time or until y condition was met, that would be unbelievably annoying to the driver. Better to outright blow him up or steal his vehicle. At least then the driver is given a chance to respawn or fight back.

If we can't outright jack the vehicle, then something akin to x% damage + generator style overload timer until fully repaired might work. That would force the enemy to pay attention to the hacked vehicle, and if the driver is an engie (because nearly 100% of them are), give the Inf a chance to mow him down with an smg. It also makes blowing up abandoned vehicles trivial, especially those annoying scout flashes. The downside would be basically forcing people to choose engie to drive even more than the game already does.

What's that? This is a poll? Only "Yes." was necessary? Oops...

EDIT: What if the Inf was given something along the lines of the Spy's sapper from TF2? A DOT effect until removed, but can only be removed by "stabilizing" the vehicle like a generator.
  14. LT_Latency

NO they should not, They hack turrets to shoot them, they hack terminals to denie them, you can kill crew to prevent there repair and ability to be driven or used
  15. Griff1n

Yes, infils should be able to hack vehicles but only empty ones. Hacked vehicle should change its side for the infil one, and who ever gets into its driving seat first, will own it. But base turrets should not be hackable imho. Or at least not the way thay are now... If there was some special terminal, for, lats say, a whole tower, so that the whole tower could be hacked instantly... It' should be harder though, for obvious reasons.
  16. Phrygen

I say no

but if so, it should take 15 seconds, require the vehicle to be completely stationary, and give a driver/gunner a warning that they are being hacked.
  17. Phrygen

exactly. The only class that can cloak shouldn't be able to kill vehicles.
  18. Teegeeack

the only class that is supposed to get behind enemy lines and you know, actually infiltrate, shouldn't be able to do anything that might cause significant hindrance to the enemy
  19. Phrygen

exactly, they shouldn't have anti vehicle abilities. they already cause significant anti personal hindrance.

They have cloak. That means no direct (or indirect) anti armor abilities. BALANCE
  20. LT_Latency

Lets compare them to LA.

LA have 2 C4, That is one tank.

INF can hack every single turret and terminal letting their own team spawn tanks inside the base. Now you want them to be able to use a infinity use tool to start blowing up tanks as well.................uuummmm yeah, no thanks
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.