AA max is ruining the game.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by holycaveman, May 4, 2013.

1. smokemaker

Or smart.
    Depends on perspective.
    I am in it for the kill.
    I do not believe in a "cool" way to kill or a "non-cool" way to kill.
    I do believe in effective ways to kill.
    If i can shoot at you while reducing your ability to shoot at me, I am gonna do it.
    Dead is dead. And words from the dead are meaningless.
    • Up x 2
  2. Panicintrinsica

Why? My argument is no more irrational then the basis for this complaint. There is only one truly effective ground-to-air weapon in the game that has a hope in hell of deterring enemy air. It does not “One shot” people, it takes double buster most of both clips, at 100% accuracy to actually destroy an unarmored ESF, and the only time that ever happens in practice is if a pilot flies slowly in a straight line at the AA max.

It’s in no way “overpowered”, and the only reason it’s so “effective” is because every single pilot (at least on my server) turns coward and runs away as fast as they can the first time they take so much as a point of damage. Yeah, one AA max cnd ward off a dozen aircraft, but only as long as all of those aircraft freak their **** at the first sign of resistance. If they actually stay around, or focused for more than twelve seconds, one Max could, at the absolutely best, could maybe kill one ESF, assuming that pilot just hovered in the same spot the ENTIRE TIME.
    • Up x 2
  3. Badname0192

[IMG]

It is about the only thing I have to offer to any of those who have an issue with an AA Max.
    • Up x 1
  4. holycaveman

Wow, great link thanks! Could not find a comparason? Then and now.

But very interesting. tank mines are the number one killer. LOL I think bouncing bettys are up there to.

Its good to see the overall population is about the same. Pretty much consistent.
    • Up x 1
  5. holycaveman

And it takes less than a clip for an esf to kill a max. LOL Charge a max and find out if it adds up the way you think it does.

Listen, AA max's are not even needed in this game. But they are easy street, and people want easy street. Just keep in mind that while easy street is good for the goose......................

They are ruining the game. And taking away from a lot of factions in this game.
    • Up x 1
  6. holycaveman

Why even drive a tank anymore?

Max's do better at AA

The harasser is the new paper tiger of the ground.
    • Up x 1
  7. Panicintrinsica

You seem incredibly sure that you know what is best for the game. Do you have experience in game design? Studio credentials on your CV in a relevant field?

Because in my experience, everyone always seems to think they’re the supreme arbiters on other people’s products without having even had the slightest of applicable experience. I’ll admit, I could be wrong, you could be a veteran designer with a highly respectable catalog of credits, but reasonably speaking that is incredibly unlikely given player:developer ratio in the population.

Being a player does not give you, me, or anyone else the authority to say what is or isn’t “ruining” something.
    Players are by their nature selfish, continuously or not, they will always advocate for their own playstyle to the potential and probable detriment of everyone else. They are not malicious in their intent, but It’s incredibly rare that a player will sit around and think about how the changes they want will actually impact a game as a whole, whereas that is literally the job of the people who made the attested “problem” in the first place. Just because you or a handful of other people vehemently hate something does not mean you’re the majority opinion, it just means you are vocal.

I see this same thing in forum after forum for game after game; there are always people who assert that they’re the only ones who can see reason, and that anyone who disagrees with them are just “looking for the easy street” – and your totally right, I even said the same thing in another post the other day: people will ALWAYS take the path of least resistance.

But you know what would happen if you removed AA maxes from the game? The game would shatter. Playing anything other than Aircraft would be utterly futile because there would be nothing that could counter them anymore.

Turrets only work at close range, and any halfway sane pilot will stay away from them; Skyguard is the same, and utterly useless at range; Lock-On rockets take 3 to 5 hits to kill an ESF, (and in this magical world without AA, you know that EVERYONE would take flares). And none of this changes the fact that aircraft would still be able to bomb you from a km away, while all the remaining AA weapons only work within maybe 100-300m tops.

That means the only thing in the game that could even present the slightest threat to aircraft are other aircraft, so infantry combat is going to suffer do to a required need to have a massive air force hover over you at all times, because the only other option is to sit around and bombed by endless rockets.

You’re not arguing for a balanced game, you’re arguing that aircraft take priority over everything else. You think ground armor will have a hope in hell of doing anything ever again if there is no ground-to-air counters left? Spawning a tank will be about as useful as building a dild0 cannon on the moon: ludicrous and nonsensical.

You can say I’m “ignoring the issue” or that i am “deluded” or just “want it easy” all you want, but none of that is going to change the fact that nerfing the AA maxes into a useless state or removing them entirely would cause way more problems then you say it would ever fix.
    • Up x 4
  8. Caydn

I think you been near the exhaust pipe of your scythe for to long or the quality of your faction is not up to par if you need a thread to nerf AA max because of 1 guy.
    • Up x 2
  9. Kviatkers

Rumor has it that Jerusalem isn't human.
    • Up x 1
  10. Pivke

listen up bro
    AIR IS RUINING THE GAME EVEN MORE :eek: people are forced to spam burster maxes and skyguards every time the lolpoders come into town (that is all the time). no one wants to play AA duty its somehow boring, unrewarding and makes you bloody useless when there is no plane around. but we are forced to! all because the air is ruining the game.

on a serious note about air-ground balance: skyguard needs a buff to accuracy and the liberator needs a buff to health/armor. the rest is totally fine.
    • Up x 2
  11. Dvine

Watch out we got a true badass here!
    • Up x 1
  12. Dvine

He does not fly into flak, he does not fly in crazy AA covered areas, and knows when to get the hell out..
    • Up x 1
  13. Sedisp

Have you eveer seen a bad movie? Have you ever talked to your friends about things in the movie that were bad?

If so congrats you are a hypocrite. If not then you will admit to me that you feel there is nothing wrong with Attack of the Clones. Of course then you're an idiot so it's kind of a lose lose situation.

Basically what I'm saying is don't hold fast to an idea we all thought was really smart at seventeen. It's not and it was not.
    • Up x 1
  14. Kubor

A very surreal ending to a very silly thread :D

It's so hard to find threads that don't consist of "every time I spawn as <insert vehicle or class here> I get shot at! Nerf!!!"

If a Burster MAX is "irritating" you rather than killing you, then it's working as intended. After all, its sole purpose in the game is to be a deterrent to the below average and inexperienced pilot. If you don't believe that, ask Higby and the team. Even Smed once tweeted to that effect.

Good and experienced fliers suffer far less from such trivial inconveniences. Just the same as good and experienced tankers have learned to cope with all the AT mines, C4, lock-on missiles, ESRL's, AV Mana Turrets, Liberators, and ESF spam.

Fliers have it easy in comparison.
    • Up x 1
  15. Sedisp

The problem is that the "irritation" is you can't do anything nor can you counter the enemy in question because he is literally invisible or invincible (through rendering or spawn doors. He costs almost nothing and has a shorter pull time than you. Also if he has three friends he can hold off four times as much air s he has brought and that is simply stupid.

An AA MAX is not a deterrence it's a prevention and that's a really big problem since that's supposed to be the skygaurds job.

Tanks were just buffed across the board and only the dumbest of tankers will have anything to fear from ESF spam.
    • Up x 1
  16. Panicintrinsica

Shocking though it may be, no, I don’t sit around with my friends and review movies. When I sit around with my friends, it’s usually with the intent to drink cocktails and make money.

But since you’ve so kindly asked, I think Attack of the Clones is better than episodes four through six, which I feel are some of the most insanely overrated movies in the history of mankind.

There is always stuff wrong with everything, and people are free to express their opinions on any subject, but sitting and on forums and issuing edicts and then snapping at people with such cunning remarks as “you’re wrong” and “you’re an idiot” is immature and fruitless, which is the point of my post.

When I say Star Wars is disgustingly overrated, that is my personal opinion on the matter, I can use my experience as a writer to say that it employs every stock trope there is and I can reference the dialog against other examples and say that by contrast it’s incredibly bland. But you will notice I said that is My Opinion™, I most emphatically did not say that Disney must rewrite the last six movies with a plot and dialogue that I approve of. It’s not my product, it’s not my problem. (Astute readers might also note that I did not say it was bad, only overrated. It is not. It is bland. But once again, my opinion)

Debate over mechanics is healthy and good, but people just declaring they are right and everyone else is wrong is not debate, it's rank arrogance.
    • Up x 1
  17. holycaveman

Then when you post actually know what you are saying. Don't change the truth about it to make your case.

Turrets and sky guards are fully capable of performing AA without max. Especially now that the tanks got a rear armor buff.

Iturrets shoot plenty far enough. Often you can clear the skies on another base from your turret one hex away. I have done this on numerous occasions because more times than not no one else will pull sky guards.

Its proven that the AA max is not needed for AA. You can call it arrogance all you want, does not change the truth of the matter.
    • Up x 1
  18. holycaveman

Further more if you look at the design of the game its pretty impressive. Turrets cover certain areas. Larger bases. The goal here is to capture the larger bases so you can equip ground with tanks etc for the surround smaller bases.

But since the max influx there is no need for sky guard. So a small group can hold up in a spawn room with a max or two. And insta spawn while wiping air off the map. And now in pretty much any battle air can be completely removed.

Air at this point in time therefore is only good to farm and rack up points. No good at battles.

I have flown with large groups. Pretty worthless as far as battles go. Ground forces do not need air in the current game state. If there is enemy air, its easier to pull the invincible AA max than to pull planes or finding a gunner for your tank.

Now with the harasser you have another AA option . But its not needed either. The max fills all those roles, but does a better job.
    • Up x 1
  19. Dvine

Well you dont have to go to the neighbours to ask for silly and surreal thats for sure!

Tankers learned? What? There was a frickin river amazonas worth of tears and the results:

AT Mines are nerfed multiple times, and unless its Stevie Wonder at the wheel so visible that they are visible from the ISS.

C4 got nerfed on deploy time/damage..

Lock on missiles (lolannihilator) lockon time increased, pathfinding got fubared.

ESRL: Phoenix is the best sniper rifle ingame, Striker got nerfed, Lancer got.. oh wait it was utter ****e from the start nvm.

AV turrets are untouched yet I give you that.

Liberators: Nerfed in each and every game update on guns,handling,damage and in GU8 the weapon camera changes made them totally and terminally useless.

ESF's: Multiple rocketpod/rotary nerfs against armor.

Sooo umm ye, tankers adopted like champs its a true story of overcoming impossible odds....

...by crying a frickin river and getting the counters nerfed.
    • Up x 3
  20. Konfuzfanten

Air in this game is more then A2A ESF-vs-ESF.

But the thing is that dual burster MAX's is just not "irritating", they are the most powerful AA in the game:
    a) having the hardest hitting, longest effective range and most accurate AA in the game currently.
    b) having the smallest hitbox of any AA, other then a heavy with a lock-on launcher.
    c) can having the highest effective HPs with flak armor of any AA system - can take multiple dalton hits without dying while a skyguard dies in 2 direct hits. More or less as tough as a MBT with the hit-profile of an infantryman.
    d) able to be revived
    e) can get ammo from engies/consoles
    f) can be pulled from any infantry consoles
    g) 50% resources req then a skyguard
    h) can now be high mobile in a harasser, negating their only real downside.

Its the only one-person AA that effective can negate air over a base, since turrets/skyguards/ESF's cant shot from inside spawns.

The AA MAX is just plain broken, Higbys said that they dont want "one-gun-fits-all", they need to look at the AA MAX.

Ohh and just to be clear, this is my profile:
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428026242696961905

Not exactly a flyboi.
    • Up x 1