TTK is too short, make it longer SOE

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Blackweb, May 3, 2013.

1. Jex =TE=

I do.

If you want to run around not checking corners or what's behind you and I've taken the time to make sure I've thought out my approach and positioning and I get the scoop on you, damn right you don't get a chance to fight back.

Lucky for you you get to respawn.

WAIT!!!!

What's that? It's the white house....the taliban are on the phone (again)... they are also wanting our troops to use less effective bullets. Apparently using tactics to lay ambushes isn't fair and they want a chance to fight back.

It's war, if you don't like it either try switching your play style or I think my little pony is on sale now.
    • Up x 4
  2. Jex =TE=

If I ever see anyone on my own side using this I'll happily tk them.
  3. Jex =TE=

I Should also add, the terrible base design does nothing to help with tactics. When people can literally come from any angle, be rezzed behind you, flying above you, it literally just turns into a DM making tactics very hard.

Bear in mind if you're playing by yourself your screen show 60 degrees of view meaning you have a whole 300 degrees you can't see. Shots in the back are highly likely anyway even if you had good base design. Without it, as we see now, you can literally get shot from any angle and you can't cover them all.

Got 5 doors to cover? that's an 80% chance you'll be covering the wrong door when the bad guy comes in - you can't even guess what direction he'll come because of the way you can just run around the whole base.

Funnily enough, the best fights I had were in the open, on hills. Every time I had a fight there there was a front line. You knew where the edge of the battle was and by using the hill and limited cover the battles I had (unfortunately few) were great. Nobody was dying every second but you could maximise a good position like you could in rl and profit.

Another hill battle (usually between Crown and I forget its name but you all know the one) I had a sundy parked up. We started losing the battle this time and had to fall back. Got in my smoking sundy and **** of there and repositioned it so we could continue the fight. Once again, no short ttk's.

Enter a biodome and blink - dead - huh? dead..arrghhh kill-run-die-rinse-repeat-lather till bored and log off.
  4. smokemaker

TTK's are fine.
    I support fast TTK's

I do not support circle jerks and squirt guns till finally someone dies.

I vote no change.
    • Up x 1
  5. McLovin35

I find it funny that a NC is complaining about how everyone dies so quickly.... TTK infantry is fine Listen to Posse he's the best HA you will ever meet in game. 99% of the time he plays HA and he has a 3.0 K/D
  6. Posse

You can actually change that, with vertical fov at 74 (the max I think) you would have 106 horizontal fov in a wide screen monitor, and I really see no reason to have the FOV at a lower value than that.
  7. Crashsplash

Being killed by a shotgun is nothing to do with whether you suck or not. Short ttk's help bad players because everyone can get lucky sometime.

In PS1 it was far more obvious who the good players were and people on all empires knew their names. Here not so much.
    • Up x 2
  8. Doombunny

I'll second this. I hate base fights because the bases have a horrible design and the TTK is too low. change one or the other. The outdoor fights that sometimes happen between bases? PURE BLISS. combination of long/short range combat, flanking manuevers and brining combined arms to bear instead of shotgun kiddies.

And to the person who said you brought the wrong gun... we can only BRING one gun! its not like PS1 where we could cert rexo armor and have two guns; one for short and one for long range combat. you have to determine your range when you spawn and the battlefield is too dynamic for that to really work. So most people go short because lets face it, scout and battle rifles, while better than they were, are still crap (esp with the 6x sway now, really SOE?) and battles just turn into pointless meatgrinders with very little in the way of the tactics and strategy that you low-TTK proponents think is there but isn't.

Raise the TTK a bit SIMPLY TO ACCOUNT FOR NETWORK LAG and allow a chance for response. What are you afraid of? Can't lead a moving target?
  9. Stew360

What about NO

NO ?
  10. Kireles

I think the problem is down to client-side hit detection and latency rather than TTK. Being killed through a wall after I know I made it into cover rages me so hard >.<
    • Up x 1
  11. Pie Chasm

OP, you are on the money, but a lot of people have been on the money and it won't change.

The majority that play this game aren't people who like long TTKS: They have extremely limited attention spans, they don't like working with others and are generally not interested in anything but cert farming.

You can blame CoD for ruining kids nowadays and kids are the majority, so they get to determine how the game is.

• Up x 1
  12. Ronin Oni

Long TTK's are obnoxious... and don't anyone pull that "COD" BS with me, I hated that game and I've been gaming FPS since DOOM and Wolfenstein. so just ****.

Long TTK's suck. How about you just pay more bloody attention. And yah, someone gets the drop on you, you SHOULD die.
    • Up x 2
  13. Eyeklops

THIS.

BF3 & COD, where low latency clan servers rule, can support very fast ttk's and still feel "tight". PS2 uses a regional server system with a much higher latency and it doesn't feel "tight" with the current TTK's. I am not in favor of doubling the TTK, but they need to get rid of OSK infantry weapons and increase the TTK on SMG's a little. Haven't you guys noticed how often a "tie" happens in this game compared to BF2, or even PS1? TTK needs to properly scale with the systems average latency. PS1 devs figured this out, hopefully PS2 guys do as well.
    • Up x 1
  14. Pie Chasm

What is long? Is it 1 second? Is it .50 seconds? Is it .20?

How does longer imply LONG?

It's like saying "I HATE 40 INCH PIZZAS" to a post complaining about pizzas that are not even 2 inches in diameter.
  15. Ronin Oni

The TTK, as is, is perfectly fine..

so longer would be too long.

That work for ya?

FFS we have SHIELDS that can regenerate and is the average military shooters TTK just for them, nvm the extra 2-3 bullets for the health.

But yah... the TTK is too short :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  16. Eyeklops

• Up x 1
  17. Posse

Long TTKs are BS, they don't punish bad positioning and lack of awareness, which are even more important than aiming, both in FPS games and in real life (you can be an awesome marksman but if you leave your back uncovered you're going to die for sure, that's how it should be), Call of Duty has nothing to do with it, it's quite boring to read everyone say "this is the fault of the CoD kids, blah blah blah".
    • Up x 1
  18. DashRendar

TTK is fine. non-aimbot/spreadhacker players tend to have accuracy ratings between 15-35% for common engagement ranges and skill, which for all intents and purposes stretches theoretical TTK to between 2-5 seconds. Add in the fact that TTK when fire is shared tends to artificially stretch anyways. Only time you will get a perfect TTK of about .5 seconds is when you sneak up behind someone who doesn't notice you, but they kind of deserved it anyway. I would like gunplay to be made a little more skillful though :\
    • Up x 1
  19. WycliffSlim

Yes, CoD was certainly the first game to have low TTK's.(sarcasm)
    Seriously, you can't just say, "HURR DURR, IT'S LIKE CoD SO IT'S BAD". Limited attention span has NOTHING to do with how long a TTK is. I don't care how much ADHD you have... you're not going to lose attention if killing someone takes 2 seconds instead of 1.

You're making incredibly generalized and subjective statements with no actual data to back it up. On the flip side, I would say the majority of people who play this game regularly play it BECAUSE of teamwork and playing with an outfit. This game isn't anywhere near as much fun to play alone and it really caters to group tactics.

I love how people who don't like long TTK's "have extremely limited attention spans, they don't like working with others and are generally not interested in anything but cert farming". Here's my blanket statement about people who DO like long TTK's, they're old fashioned gamers who think that everything that came before CoD was gods gift to gamers, they don't care about tactics and think it's OP when someone kills them because they got caught off guard, they think that any game that came after CoD has been corrupted by it and that anyone who enjoys CoD is clearly an inferior species and should stop ruining their perfect games. That statement I just made... yeah, it's about as accurate as yours was about people who like low TTK's.

By the way, I'm 19... I've never owned a CoD game in my life. I've played them, they're incredibly well made games(multiplayer) if that's the kind of thing you like. They're different from games like Planetside yes... but that doesn't make them better or worse it makes them... wait for it... DIFFERENT.

Tl;Dr stop using CoD as a strawman, accept that different people have different views and that both low and high TTK's require tactics and skill... just different kinds. Also, Planetside 2 has, in general, a pretty middle of the line TTK. It's certainly longer than CoD and is usually longer than Battlefield games as well.
    • Up x 2
  20. PliskinAJ

You can't have a long time to kill in this game. What happens when a platoon zergs over a hill to take a point. If you up the TTK to around just around 5 seconds there would be no way for anyone to stop them.

As of right now you need to go from cover to cover and use the terrain to live. I have been shot up plenty of times and I stay alive just fine, go to cover pop a med kit, maybe stay in cover long enough for shields to come back and your born again. If your working in a real team with a medic or two you can regroup after each move just fine.

For the OP's original question

"Can an organized squad of infantry last for several minutes under fire without a spawn point or having to be chain-rezzed?
    When the answer to that question is yes SOE, TTK is long enough "

Yes they can. Be smart use cover.
    • Up x 1