Buff to Rear Tank Armor --> Goodbye ESFs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by PhilDun, May 2, 2013.

1. PhilDun

Liar. You have never done this. Want to know how I know? Because the tank would've died during the first pass.
    • Up x 2
  2. ABATTLEDONKEY

Im saying that giving ESF's rocket pods were a mistake to begin with. Making them incredibly versatile and strong only makes the problem worse. Im an air guy. I LOVE flying, but I HATE single seater "do-it-all" aircraft.
    • Up x 2
  3. ABATTLEDONKEY

Yes I agree completely. The lib is in a VERY sad state right now, and I wish that SOE would do something to encourage its use/effectivness in large battles. unfortunately the very nature of its design limits it tremendously. Me and my brother will do quite well in large battles (im always the pilot), but the lib can certainly use alot more love.
    • Up x 1
  4. Torok

Bye ESFs, you will be back, or never go, depends if your pilots wants to live up to 200000000 kills and 0 death instead of just being of some use like you know.. scouting / antiair / taking down a sunderer / supporting teammates and then playing something else,

guys wake up, you have to play everything in this game, and if you can't because you don't have a big budget of certs then focus on one infantry class and play the ESF every time you can, when you blow up, Deal with it

no offence intended, but you simply can't play mono airplane, if you aren't that "good" (which means to sacrifice firepower for defense utility and play smart and precautios) and no, i'm not good, sometimes i hit a tree, sometimes i blow up ravaged by AA because i wasn't paying much attention

this said i'm not siding with those who says AA is fine, i think the AA max is a bit too strong for the accuracy, it shouldn't be that snipe level of effectiveness

complaining about splash radius reduction? i read that as: my aim is terribad
    rocket pods are just fine against infantry, and way too good against vehicles, now they will be a bit UP against vehicles, those who will live up to it will keep playing the ESF, those who can't adapt will leave or just whine here
    • Up x 1
  5. ABATTLEDONKEY

*facepalm*

I am the LAST guy on these forums that you need to talk to about the concept of combined arms. Heck this VERY discussion points at a core issue. ESF's in their current state, fill every single role for aircraft. they are air superiority, they are anti-armor, and they are anti-infantry. They fill every role better than any other aircraft out there. In my perfect little world, ground targets would fear liberators, liberators would fear ESF's and ESF's would fear ground targets/other ESF's. THATS a (albiet simple) combined arms approach to this subject. As it stands right now, the liberator is a non-issue variable. It can either exist, or not, it makes no difference. ESF's should not be a ground attack craft. SOE gave them this role to satisfy the cross over crowd, and the simplistic younger generation. Look at where this has landed us. If your a lover of combined arms games, as I am, then you should NOT want certain vehicles to fill multiple roles in a single load out. ESF's currently fill every role in one load out.
    • Up x 6
  6. Fafnir

In beta a rocket pod salvo was not enough to destroy a tank. The game was called the Tankside. Then SOE buffed Liberators and it was the Liberatorside. Then they buffed ESFs and it was the Rocketpodside. Now after many buffs and nerfs we're playing the Infantryside, but the Tankside is making a comeback. The circle is closed, the Wyrm, Uroboros bite his tail... uhh, I think I got carried away a little.
    • Up x 3
  7. Torok

well atleast now there's much more AV and less explosion radius on Tank weapons than at Start :)
    and 2 bricks of c4 still blow those tanks
    • Up x 1
  8. mentalx

In big battles tanks will die just as fast, not many tanks face the battle *** first and alot try and get sneaky by hiding against stuff anyway.
    Sure if you solo and you line a lonesome tank up it might not die "instantly", but it will still die in seconds.
    Let them spawn the tanks, it is noticeable so many have stopped using them.
  9. Phrygen

thank god....

thought i did get rather good at avoiding death by ESF back damage... it still is a large % of my deaths, and i lost countless tanks to it.
    • Up x 2
  10. Primarkka

11. loleator

Tanks can't shoot a plane flying on top of them. Thye basically can't defend against you and even if they were lucky to find an angle on you (which would be your fault to enter in it), they have a hard time hitting supersonic things on the sky. They will still die in 2 passes.
    The surviability buff was much needed. And I'm saying that as an ESF pilot.
    • Up x 2
  12. PhilDun

Lightnings can use Skyguard.

MBTs have AA secondaries.
    • Up x 1
  13. huller

Bro, do you even nosegun?
    • Up x 2
  14. SlingBlade

Good, as someone who has put hundreds of hours in a scythe I think it was way too powerful before. It was far too easy to kill a tank, you could even fly at the rear of a skyguard and be very confident you could kill it before it killed you. This will hopefully bring it to a reasonable level.
    • Up x 1
  15. Furthark

Where is the problem with increased rear armor of tanks?
    But you have done it right ... not to annoy the rocket pods,
    but to strengthen the tanks!
    Waiting times but only on how it will be .... there is hardly anything more sophisticated or you can not just bomb away all already heard the evidence without whining going on here.
    And the strikers ... they are only open area or if they are on hills a real problem ... games NC, by the way!
    Tests the innovations .... let yourselves to the new one at all.
    Speaks but not always all bad ... SOE strives yes,
    that all should probably see enough updates are always!

And used a little more combined units!

P.S. Translated by Google Translator
    • Up x 2
  16. Phazaar

There is simply no reason for air to exist anymore. You can't even scout given the render distance vs range of Burster MAXs. You will have at best a minimal effect on the battlefield below, requiring huge cert investment for the right to take on horrific risk requiring more skill than any other element in game, and high resource costs to boot.

Liberators are still paper to ground-based AA, and their one option of going to 800m and shooting Sunderers with a Dalton is easily out-dps'd by two engineers (who are invulnerable to the incoming fire) repairing the Sunderer. The AA MAXs, which do not render at this distance, are able to hit (albeit at about 50% accuracy) said Liberator and will ultimately deter it long before it's able to get the kill.

Even if Liberators begin to fill the skies due to buffs, ground-based AA is still more effective and less risk bearing than ESFs, so suggesting their only role now is to kill Liberators is beyond a joke.

Sorry, can you find me anything to say that?

I mean, what we have is a slow VTOL jet (traditionally a ground attack aircraft), a hover ability (traditionally for ground attack), with DEDICATED ANTI-INFANTRY primaries, DEDICATED DUMBFIRE (traditionally for ground attack) rockets, and a top speed identical to the top speed of a bomber.

It's hardly a dedicated anti-air weapon, so what on earth is it for?

Also, the FLAK armour was for MAXs, as far as I can see...
    • Up x 1
  17. Phrygen

pretty sure people are still going to fly after the patch.....

+1
    • Up x 2
  18. Urban_Scorp

And they'll need them. It is not as if the armor buff suddenly made MBTs impossible to destroy with rocket pods or nose gun fire.

The secondaries (and Skyguard) have drawbacks, just as not taking the A2A missiles when playing an AA ESF has a drawback. Basically the tank is sacrificing a portion of its efficiency with regards to its ground attack role for the ability to house a moderate to low potency anti-air weapon. One which will not save it when confronted with a single skilled or multiple average foes.

All this buff does is make tanks a little less of a cert piñata and more of a cert barrel. Same stuff inside, just takes a little more effort without the perfect tool.
    • Up x 1
  19. Bearcat

What!? My solo aircraft now takes an entire clip [sic] to kill a 2-person vehicle? The whole game is ruined!!!
    • Up x 5
  20. pizo1

They need to make AA guns on MBT-s more stronger nothing else.
    I hate EFS-s :p
    • Up x 2