Hardlocks and Drop Pod Crashes

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Tzizimitl, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Tzizimitl

I've got issues with PS2 hard-locking largely at random, though usually it lets me play at least for an hour, but other times I've played for up to five with no problems. It generally seems to happen when flying, but has occasionally happened on foot or while tanking, too. Essentially, with no warning, the whole thing just locks up and I have to reboot my entire PC. C+A+D doesn't work, Alt-Tab doesn't work, nada, no sound, no responses. I've tried monitoring my system temperatures, and they're certainly not spiking or anything just prior to it, so I'm at a loss, and no other programs seem to cause it, so unless PS2 is bringing RIDICULOUS strain on my system(I doubt that's it, though, it continues to happen even after I lowered a lot of settings), something's up.

Also, since the latest Game Update I've been having more ordinary crashes when attempting to drop pod in. Not every time, but close by. Thankfully these permit me to alt-tab out of the game afterwards and shut it down.

CPU: Intel Core i7 920, 2.67GHz
    Mobo: Asus P6T
    RAM: 12GB DDR3
    Video Card: NVidia GTX 550Ti

Drivers and all that of course regularly updated.
  2. TSR-Jesse S Customer Service

Run your Planetside 2 Launchpad and log in, but do not press play. Click on the Advanced Tools icon (looks like a hexagon surrounding a wrench) in the lower left and then choose the option to open game directory. In the window/folder that comes up, locate and delete the following files

PlanetSide2.exe
    ActivityUserData.ini
    LaunchPad-user.ini
    LoadingScreen.xml
    InputProfiles.xml
    SoundSettings.xml
    UserOptions.ini
    vivoxoal.dll
    vivoxsdk.dll

Once these files are deleted, close the Planetside 2 window/folder and go back to the Launchpad > Advanced Tools/Settings menu. Click on the Validate Game Assets menu option and then press the green Validate button to have the Launchpad check your game files, and download any missing or corrupt files.
    • Up x 1
  3. Tzizimitl

Thank you, I'll try this and hopefully it'll work. Is this supposed to help with the hardlocks, the drop pod crashes, both or is it just a generic first-troubleshooting thing to do before heading into anything more advanced?
  4. TSR-Jesse S Customer Service

Crashing can be caused for a variety of different factors, so it's had to definitively say what's triggering it without cracking open your computer and seeing what's inside - the above fix is issued for crashes that seem to be caused from corrupt data files.

So, yeah, it would be a generic troubleshooting step, but it's important to be able to say none of the game's files are corrupt.
  5. Tzizimitl

Thanks for the help and quick response, at any rate. I just wish it was caused by something more, well, consistent so I could properly report an issue that could be fixed on either the game's end or on mine. It's happened on all three continents, flying, on foot and in a ground vehicle, and across multiple patches and game updates, which makes me worry the issue is my PC... but the video card is brand new, the power supply is brand new and the highly varied run-times-before-crash(as well as sometimes the total absences of crashes) makes it feel unlikely that it's overheating or anything of the sort(plus overheats and PSU problems tend to result in forced shutdowns-and-reboots, in my experience, not hard-locks), especially as nothing else appears to cause it for the time being.

I also appreciate the second response here, since that goes a long way towards making things feel less like a "canned" response, which is really one of the most frustrating things to get when requesting tech support.
  6. Joseywales

Will try this suggestions since I too suffer from Hardlocks but if I wait it will minimize game and then maximize game and recover, the one that baffles me is when the game goes to a grey screen and if I move gun down or wait for about a minute it may recover, a friend told me this is due to memory leak and that it also happens to him.
  7. AstroCat

Many of us are having this issue since the recent update and "hotfixes". I've filed a ticket as well, prior to GU07 and subsequent hot fix I was rock solid, now it random CTDs in PS2 exclusively.
  8. Cab00se187

You guys are lucky to at least be crashing to your desktop. My whole system locks up except for sound. My mouse and keyboard lock up but I can hear the battle raging on and people using voice chat. I then have to reset my PC, but I am 99.9% certain that my AMD cards are the culprit.
  9. Tolas

will try this as well, ive been getting BSOD's for the 1st time ever today, never happened before and i havent changed a thing
  10. Joseywales

It worked real well I did not have any glitches in a 2 hour event yesterday highly recommend it.