Is this processor going to be good in the long run?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by aazo5, Apr 20, 2013.

1. aazo5

Okay, so I recently bought a PC with the following specs:
    Processor: 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3820 (10M Cache, Overclocked up to 4.2 GHz)
    Memory: 32GB (4 X 8GB) Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
    Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680 2GB GDDR5
    Hard Drive: 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s

I have been so worried about my processor. Should I? And would this processor even make a difference or would it make the system unbalanced? 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3930K (12M Cache, Overclocked up to 4.1 GHz) (It's a six core)
  2. DiveXx

well your system is better than mine and i alrdy can run ultra at around 40 fps in heavy fights , so your system will perform well :)
  3. aazo5

Yeah, it already does but i'm just wondering if the other processor would be a lot better on my rig. Thanks though.
  4. TheAppl3

For gaming, they will be nearly identical. The only reasons to get one of the hex-cores are A) far too much money to burn or B) need a heavy-duty workstation.
  5. escannihilator

6. DiveXx

So i looked up the Processors and you will be fine with the 3820, the 3930K doesn't worth the money if you use the PC for gaming. BTW 32 gb Ram is overkill imo :D
  7. aazo5

Thanks everyone! You made me feel a lot better about my buy! It's just my FPS drops to the 30s and very rarely the late 20s during huge battles when the usual FPS I get is like 60-80.
  8. werzinator

Should be good, though personally I would recommend buying and installing a solid state drive to use as your primary OS/important programs/most played games drive, then your normal hard drive for media and documents.

I use a Samsung 830 and Planetside 2 maps load within seconds.. OS boots up in 10 seconds or so (Windows 8 64 bit)
  9. sollitdude

i could say, stop boasting about your new rig (bought with parents money) but that wouldnt matter anyway as you act innocent and continue the charade.
  10. VanuZuma

For real dude? Feel like this is less of a question and more of a way to feel superior to others hardware. When you buy essentially the best hardware currently available is it even a question how it will perform? Look at the charts. You could have spent far less money for a 3770k and had the same performance. But hey if you are loaded might as well spend your money on stuff you don't need.
  11. shd

Expensive rig like that without an SSD is just sad.
    • Up x 2
  12. VanuZuma

Obviously a case of more money than brains
  13. LordMondando

Get i7 your paying 100's for Hyperthreading which most games can't use and which even harms preformance in one.

Its not a processor designed for gaming. Be less of a derp and get a i5 3570k and a descent cooling system and do a stable overclock.

If you would rather burn your money, your welcome to send some to me.
  14. Iksniljiksul

It's not the hardware, it's the engine code. SOE must be using interns fresh out of college to be producing such utter **** for code.
  15. BlackDove

Windows 8 boots like that no matter what because of the way it hibernates the kernel when you shut down. It boots way faster than 7 did.

He's also go an Alienware prebuilt, so the BIOS might not let him switch which drive the OS is on, especially if it's Windows 8.
  16. BlackDove

Wow there are so many people in this thread with computer ***** envy it's not even funny.
  17. VanuZuma

I dont have computer envy, I actually know a thing or two about computers and built my rig for gaming. It can handle anything currently out and anything that will be coming out in the next couple of years. Whats annoying about the OP's post is he is either playing stupid in a way to say look at what I have, or is in fact just stupid.
  18. Kevin85

I think you should be getting a bit more FPS. I have a 9850BE at stock 2.5Ghz clock, 4GB 1066DDR2, 480 GTX and getting near identical FPS as you, my high points aren't as high, I'll hover 50-70 instead of 60-80, with dips down to 45 in normal fights, and dips down to low 30s mid 20s in big fights.

Every patch my FPS changes a little, some times the top end, some times the bottom end.
  19. noobindo

Btw, Intel plans to release 60-core processor in 2018.
    So no matter what you buy now.
  20. BlackDove