New explosion noise when JJ with light assault!

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by SharpeShooter, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r1stormrider

People compare it to the infiltrator's cloak sound because your silent jump packs allowed you to sneak around FAR better than any infiltrator could ever dream of. This was fundamentally wrong. To deny that is to have unjust bias for your class, without any care for balance whatsoever. The infiltrator can use sniper rifles, sure, but also has SMGs and Scout Rifles for CQC/Mid range battles, not to forget the landmine and hacking tool. If you think infiltrators are just a sniper class you are sorely mistaken.. Useless whines about a quality of life fix that improves gameplay for everyone is just as easy to ignore.
    • Up x 2
  2. Hagestol

No. Infiltrators are designed to be snipers, hence all the sniper rifles and poor cloak with sound.

LA are (were) designed as a stealthy flanking class. It has been like this since alpha.

Wrap your head around it, stop repeating INF should be better at sneaking. Well, give me scout rifles then.
    • Up x 1
  3. r1stormrider

You are beyond help if you think INFILTRATOR doesn't mean it should sneak around. This is a no-brainer. Your beyond help if you cannot wrap your head around the fact that it doesn't just snipe.

Light Assault is a more mobile assault class than the Heavy Assault. It is NOT designed to sneak around, that is just completely ignorant, and was only possible because of the silent jump packs. Now they are not silent, and now they cannot sneak around as easily. This was implemented by SoE. Their changes completely contradict your assertion of what said classes should do, so before you go around trying to tell us what YOU think the classes should do, maybe you should take look at the patch notes and let it sink in.

You were never supposed to be sneaky.
    • Up x 1
  4. Hagestol

I agree that the name is silly. But you're beyond help if you cannot fanthom that the tools you have available as an inf currently:

Sniper rifles
    More sniper rifles
    Scout rifles
    Some SMGs
    Poor cloak with sound attached
    Darts detecting nearby enemies (meaning no on the move here, designed for camping gameplay)
    Hacking with almost no use

does not mean you are stealth class. It makes you a sniper class.

I'm guessing you weren't in beta, because if you were you would know this.

Meanwhile, we were designed to sneak around in alpha, and this hasn't changed before now. So once again: LA flanking sneaky assaults, infiltrators snipers with limited close skills from SMG and hacking. Repeat.
  5. Dramma Lamma

Just stopping by to say.

LA players go test it with a friend like many infiltrators have their cloak noise.

You will find the following result:

The infiltrator cloak is still louder than the JJ and still can be heard at a farther distance.

You are all completely blowing the volume of the JJ noise out of proportion.

It was quite loud on the test server I will admit that.

But what made it to live is completely reasonable, stop crying.
    • Up x 1
  6. Hagestol

Why why why are you comparing them?

Two different classes. Totally different tools.

You can see LAs, you can hear LA during the entire duration, they fly (SLOW) and are easy to pick out of the sky.
    You can't see INF, you can hear INF during cloak and decloak but not during. They are invisible when it is active.

One class is a long range class, one class is a short range class.

Totally different tools. Totally different classes. Jesus, the humanity.
    • Up x 2
  7. Antich

You added the stealthy by yourself there. LA were designed as a flanking class. Flanking does not equal stealthy. Inf were designed as a stealthy class.
    You seem to think the jetpack was given to the light assault to help him make himself a more obvious target which is not true. You don´t have a jetpack to screw with ppls aim while running towards them, you have them to climb on walls and rocks and attack from different angles then other classes. You can still do that, the higher noise(which is not that big anyway) is just there to give other ppl a chance. Exactly the same as the infiltrator cloak noise. A sniper class has no role in a game with spawn point everywhere on a 15 sec timer. That is a nonrole. That is why most infiltrators now use close range weaponry and very rarely snipers.

Yes and no, you require terminals(and alive ones for that matter). You require ppl to leave their terminals alive, undefended and to ignore them when they get hacked. You also need ppl to repair their turrets and not kill them as soon as they get hacked. How often does that happen?(works while ghostcapping and preety much it is the answer). You can indeed do all that you said in theory, in the game though rarely works like that. If and only if terminals would be hackable while dead and ownership would persist through death infiltrator hack would actually be a tool instead of a flavour of the moment thing.
    • Up x 1
  8. Wolfwood82

What he said.

Everything about the infiltrator from the ground up was designed around a sniping class, not an infiltration class. The DEVs screwed this bit up from Alpha to present and it's becoming more and more obvious now. The class was NEVER meant to be a CQC/short range class.

Their health is less then the other classes, their cloak fields are far more effective at range then up close, they make noise when they cloak, their primary weapons are SNIPER RIFLES. Hacking was added after release, and AI mines were added in late beta. The class was designed from the ground up inside and out to be a long range fighting class. It's the player base that insists on trying to force the class outside of it's natural element that have ****** up the game in that regard. Because of a name.

At this point it's obvious that the infiltrator serving as a long range class is not going to work. Sniping has a lot of merits to it and has it's uses, however it's not important enough and is a very limited role. The class needs a serious overhaul. However the class probably won't get one because the player base will cry murder for it.

Changing the class to one with more substantial roles at close quarters would require major changes to the game structure and the over all process for taking over a base.

He meant stealthy as in the JJs were effing silent since Alpha. Hage meant what he said, and knows what he is talking about a good deal more then you do.

The infiltrator cloak noise (and subsequent duration of the cloak effect) were meant to prevent exploiting the ability for point blank assassinations. You do not give a class a loud SFX noise and a relatively short cloak period unless you do not want that class to be getting up close and personal with other combat classes.

What do cloakers negate? Visual cues. What do humans use most when locating distant objects? Visual cues. What do cloakers make in abundance? Audible cues. What do humans use when locating nearby objects? Audible cues.

Again, it's becoming abundantly clear that an infantry class based on long range combat doesn't work. Which is why hacking was added. It was added after the game was released (or very late in the beta). I'm pretty sure everyone will accept the fact that infiltrators need a massive overhaul to help them fit the game. However I personally feel that this overhaul could (and should) extend even deeper into changes to base combat structure itself, by giving infiltrators REKs and making those REKs required equipment for triggering generator over loads and starting the hacks on control points.
    • Up x 3
  9. Hagestol

Flanking as a weak infantry class in this game requires stealth or surprise. Try facing a HA in this game and see how well you do without the element of surprise.

We don't have stealth. We have (had) surprise. Different things, different classes. Now we have equal footing, just less utility, no shield and weaker weapons. We still have to get close, and getting close with the current sound against competent enemies is nearly impossible.

Boom boom bam boom bom boom. Fun.

For your benefit:

• Up x 1
  10. Antich

You still have the surprise you just don´t have the stealth + LA are not a weak infantry class, they are the same as all others except the HA and Infi. HA is the strong one, infi is the weak one.
    You have the surprise because they still won´t know the exact place you will be attacking from, they know only the general direction. The jetpack can still get you close enough to anyone from an unpredictable angle for his shield not to matter. HA shield maybe(and i say maybe but not even that) negates the advantage of flanking, you are just on equal footing not a clear winner already as surpricing other classes.
    • Up x 1
  11. RogueComet

Wow Antich, I can tell you don't really play a lot of LA or deal with them in game for that matter. Yesterday I was on buildings like normal, dropped behind four people who ran into doorways. I should have gotten the drop on them because they did not know I was on top of the building. By your comment, I would have been able to "surprise" them. Yet you are 100% WRONG. All four people heard the BOOMS, turned around and took me out. A fifth person was shooting a Striker out of a doorway on the 2nd floor of a building while I was on the ground below unknown to him. I jet up to the balcony that attaches to that doorway and entered thinking he would be a juicy target (after all, he was shooting with his striker, a weapon that in unable to dumbfire on infantry). Odd enough, he heard me coming and when I went into the doorway he already had switched to his main weapon and easily took me out.

You really seem to have no clue how much of the element of surprise requires one to be silent. Tell ya what... why don't you invite your friends over to your house, and go into a room ahead of them thinking to surprise them. Though don't sit in that room quietly waiting for them, instead make all kinds of noise. See if you can surprise them. Bet ya can't! On the flip side of the coin, even if your friends know you are in the room, but you are totally silent, the second they enter the room, if you yell "Surprise" and leap at them from beside the door, because you were quiet, you CAN surprise them.

Surprise, flaking, stealth, they all go hand-in-hand and are 100% necessary. Seriously, go try that example I gave in the paragraph above, making lots of noise, and try to surprise someone. YOU CAN'T.
    • Up x 2
  12. Hagestol

You don't have the surprise if they hear you. Sorry, that is just wrong. Go try it. Even if we climb the roof and go down the stairs, or try to go for the window they can now just hear us, expect us and cover the "LA-enterances" instead of the regular. We get slaughtered by decent players now.

To have the surprise enemies will actually have to.. not expect you. Also, the infantry damage classes in this game are *drumroll* HA, LA and INF. So you basically said we're the worst.

It doesn't take a genious to figure out where LA come from if you know they're coming. What did require situational awareness was to expect LA all the time but not know when they might arrive.
    • Up x 1
  13. TekFan

How about medics glowing like christmastrees and buzzing like a bee-hive, showing everyone where to shoot at to stop the healing?
    Or HA's attacking tanks while gleaming like a neon-light when their shields are activated?
    What about the engineer with its glowing, humming repair-tool?

If you got problems with HA's as any other class than the HA, here's a usefull tip, maybe you heard of it: Aim for the head, just as it is in the majority of other egoshooters.

A good medic is at the front-lines, hopping between downed bodies and injured players, healing and rezzing or even giving fire-support if neccessary. Managing the long switch-time between the healing tool and its guns.
    A good engineer is in the midst of allied vehicles, repairing them and constantly dodging enemy-fire and more often the deathly driving-manuvers of allies. Maybe even deploying a turret to support an advancing squad.
    A good heavy assault harasses enemy-vehicles or storms at the frontlines, absorbing the shots of enemy-infantry with its glowing shields while the other classes advance in its back.
    A good infiltrator takes out enemies from the distance, giving crucial fire-support. Even more important: Sneaking into enemy-bases, cloaking intelligently to counter the sound and hacking consoles to allow allied soldiers access to vehicles and supplies while cutting the same off for the defenders.

Light assaults sit in a corner and whimper that they now have to think about enemies registering their jetpacks.
    Thinking about how to corner a group of enemies to flank them?! Thinking about tactics in a team-based shooter?!? OH MY GOD!!! What an atrocity!

Light assault is weakly armored against HA's?
    Did you ever play medic, engineer or infiltrator? Everything else but MAXes has weaker armor than the HA-class, that's its friggin job. Being tougher than the rest to stand a chance against vehicles and to absorb bullets.

The light assault class doesn't have an ability to get more XP?
    I don't hear HA's complaining about that shield that makes them more resistant and glowing but nothing else.
    As far as I recall, the infiltrator hasn't got a XP-granting ability either.
    Medics can heal themselves and allies, getting XP for it. With the drawback of glowing up like a huge lightbulb and even being unarmed if they use their tool. Ever tried to use the AoE-heal while standing in front of a HA-lmg? It's like a glass of water against a volcano.
    Engineers have a tool that repairs mechanic units, but is glowing like a huge torch and renders them helpless. Also that turret that makes them immobile and easy to flank.

I'm not among the best players to be honest, but I deal with the drawbacks of the different classes and come up with ways to counter them.

You're having problems in dealing with competent players?
    Here's a good tip I'm using too: Try to adapt and get more competent yourself if you want to have a chance!
    How about using the LA's unmatched manuverability against the well armored and armed HA?
    How about jumping from behind obstacles to hit the enemy where it has no cover?
  14. Wolfwood82

HA isn't the strong one unless you count their over shield.

The only reason why you wouldn't count their over shield is if they were strangled by surprised or died so fast they never had a chance to flip it on.

The only way LA can achieve that level of surprise or that rapid a death is with stealth.

Here try this. Stamp your way over to a friend who isn't looking at you, then shout "BOO!". I'm guessing you won't be causing any heart attacks with that approach. Now compare the response to sneaking up to another friend who isn't looking at you and saying "Hey". Your odds of getting a "HOLY **** YOU STARTLED ME" reaction are considerably higher....

Seriously this is a no brainer. You literally have to lack a brain in order to fail to understand this.
  15. Wolfwood82

Show me a situation where you have to "stealthily" revive/heal/repair someone/something, and I'll show you a situation where you have better/more important things to do.
  16. Stormlight666

My bad, must have missed it in my tiredness when I posted that.
  17. ThElement078

INFILTRATORS. CLOAKING. INFILTRATORS ARE SUPPOSED TO INFILTRATE. THATS WHY ITS CALLED INFILTRATOR. INFILTRATING REQUIRES STEALTH. THATS WHY THEY HAVE CLOAKING, SOMETHING TO MAKE THEM BETTER AT STEALTHIER. Light Assault are supposed to be SKIRMISHERS. Sure, they would have at least some degree of stealth, But I don't think soldiers with freaking FIREBALLS coming out of their backs are supposed to be as stealthy as soldiers who have something COMPLETLEY DEDICATED to STEALTH (Cloaking). Although yes, I do agree that the JP sound should be reduced, but not TOO much.
  18. MajiinBuu

Don't QQ about the noise being annoying, you can jump without activating the jump jets. You could try releasing the space bar?
  19. Wolfwood82

This is where intelligent discussion degrades into mindless drivel.

Stealth, good sir, is merely the ability to avoid detection from observers. It affects all senses, not 1. Hell by your logic, stealth aircraft aren't stealthy at all, because they aren't invisible...

Dear god can it be that simple!?!?!?!

-runs over to a towers edge and jumps in order to get to the next tower over... promptly falling to death-

No fair... I can't coast when I do that....

/sarcasm

It's probably easier to insult your intelligence and call it a day but... Naw...
  20. DrakeAU

The changes have ruined the class IMO. The Light Assault class isn't designed for for frontal assaults, its for flanking and asymmetric
    warfare. Now with most people being easily able to detect us we have significantly more frontal engagements and that limits the class. Now our standard modus operandi is going to be make sure no enemy is in the area, jet up to hiding space, wait for enemy and camp.

Going up against a moderately competent heavy assault with a shield was tough pre-patch, now its almost certain death. We did not receive any compensation such as a reduction in damage taken or more jetpack fuel or quicker jetpack movement. Might as well play a heavy assault and have the option of a shield, c4, long range assault rifle or shotgun, resource cost free ranged AA, resource cost free ranged AV, AV grenades, concussion grenades and they can still have ranged AV combined with a medkit, where light assault has to give up its AV ability (C4) to equip a med kit.

Light Assault is pretty much a poor mans HA.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.