GU07 PS2 Now Causes Shutdowns Due to Overheating

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by bobzebrick, Apr 18, 2013.

1. bobzebrick

Ok so this is the first time this had ever happened to me. I play with everything on lowest setting and render quality at 60% just to get semi decent performance and now this game is frying my CPU. I recorded it at over 80 degrees Celsius when I rebooted after the abrupt shutdown.

Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
    AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core Processor 3.6GHz
    8192MB DDR3 1333hz RAM
    AMD Radeon HD 6670
    • Up x 2
  2. 89xOnoma89

Not surprised the game plays like a big steamy pile of poop on my FX 8150.
  3. bobzebrick

Yeah I wouldn't mind a steaming pile of poop atm.

The prospect of this game turning my computer into a ball of flames is pretty high at the moment. I've been playing since launch with no overheating problems. I just actually recorded the temperature. It took me just over 10 minutes of flying a mossie for my CPU temp to go from a stable 58 to 78 and it wasn't stopping. I've closed the game, I'm not risking my system for this trash.
  4. Dovahkiin

Agreed. I love PS2 but I love my PC more. It's not my fault that devs didn't learn how to fix this game SEVEN F**KING TIMES IN A ROW!!!
  5. loleator

Overheating has to be with the each year increasing temperature by these dates. It's called summer.

Clean your pc out of dust!
  6. NaySayer

A game that came out of beta with issues, and then opened a test server.......
    Hmmm, this is most interesting.
  7. OldMaster80

AMD FX-8120 at 4.0 Ghz happening the same! :eek:
    Devs, WHAT THE HELL!

Sorry external temperatura does not explain such a behaviour. o_O
  8. TheOnlyDoor

I just built my PC 3 weeks ago. My FX 8350 is liquid cooled. This isnt a dust or ambient temp problem.
    Still NO AMD optomizations, still 20- 30 fps in large battles with a 10800 3D mark score, and since update this morning the game has crashed 3 times within 10 minutes. Crysis 3 running fine at Ultra 60-80 FPS, BF3 running fine at 80-120fps..............(sigh) I love this game...but just cant play it anymore,even on a new $2300 PC.

My Specs: AMD FX 8350 @ 4.6ghz (corsair H80i cooled)
    ASUS M5A99X EVO motherboard
    2 EVGA GTX 680's (super clocked editions) SLI'd
    32 gig Corsair Dominator ram @ 1866
    Corsair HX 1050w PSU
    Windows 8 pro 64 bit
  9. Radiculopathy

Bingo. The game has nothing to do with your (The Op's) temps, you have inadequate cooling for your CPU, especially since the game doesn't even fully load your CPU most of the time.
  10. 89xOnoma89

Havn't had these issues with the 8150 but I have a liquid cooler and a jet powered fan blowing air through my case.
  11. 89xOnoma89

Bad optimizations and coding can lead to overtemps on hardware. Fun fact.
    • Up x 1
  12. bobzebrick

Tested again, no matter what settings I change this won't stop happening I can play other games that usually hit my CPU hard fine without any overheating problems but this game is unplayable now unless I want my CPU running at over 80 degrees. Final straw for me SOE, how can you be so bad :eek:
  13. OldMaster80

Nope, this is just not possible. For me at least. I've replaced my stock fan with a Thermaltake Big Typhoon 120 which is more than enough for my processor and overclocking, I have a Cool Master case and there's no dust inside.

But this is not a PS2 issue, it's also happening for me on other games. I think this has been caused by this:
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...tware-conflict-w-win-7-security-patch.115626/
  14. 89xOnoma89

This comment actually supports the idea that bad software and coding can cause overtemps on hardware. Lol.
  15. OldMaster80

I keep the temperature controlled with Core Temp because I want to check the overclocking doesn't cause problems. The game is actually crashing for like if the temperature was the problem, but clearly that's not the case.
  16. Fantom_17

OH CRAP!!!! my comp has the exact same specs. Ibuypower by any chance? My comp has never gone over 60 at full load and is in the low 20's at startup, but im gonna keep an eagle eye on my PC. thanks for the headsup and hope they fix it fast.
  17. OldMaster80

I have a HD7970 with catalyst 13.3 beta 3, and I've noticed sometimes the game pushes video card usage beyond 95% at high details. Maybe that's the cause of the game crash?
  18. bobzebrick

I'm pretty sure mt issue is overheating the game isn't even crashing it's completely shutting down my computer if I let it get hot enough like I did the first time. It could be that this fx-4100 or the heatsink is on its way out. The fan looks fine though and is running at normal RPM. It's just funny this suddenly started happening as soon as GU07 came out.
  19. OldMaster80

That's correct, it's not a crash: it's a shutdown. But I'm pretty sure 1) this is not caused by temperature 2) this is not because of your pc because I'm sharing my problem with some friends and I've already found other 2 players with the same problem.
    Would you like to try to play in windowed mode? I've tried and the game did not crash. On the other hand I can see a huge GPU usage which is really beyond what it should be (more than 95% sometimes, never happened with PS2 High Details).

By the way, last week an incompatibility issue between Win7 and some applications has been communicated by Microsoft, and the effect on PS2 was exactly the same reported in this thread.
  20. bobzebrick

I have Asus PC Probe installed and when I booted up my PC I ran it and it was at 80 degrees Celcius, so here it is definitely overheating. I just tested it a few times too and shut the game down at 77 degrees as that is dangerously high for this CPU. Your issue might be different though, do you have anything to monitor your CPU and GPU temp?

I usually play in windowed full-screen and have had no issue with it before.