New VS armor colors on Test Server

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Riftmaker, Apr 18, 2013.

1. gigastar

This is supposed to be the first in a series of updates to all player models and textures in the game.
  2. WetPatch

That's it? That's Higby's new bad *** looking VS.

Well now I understand why Tray was trying to down play his comments.

Is this really the sum total of trying to rebrand the VS from Spandex loving *****, to bad *** techno loving warriors?

Well colour me unimpressed.
  3. GiveNCMoreCerts

Higby wants TRay to spend a total time of ---10 minutes on recoloring VS to just stop all the camo forums and purple spandex forums
  4. MNO

Your thoughts are shared.

I mean, I don't mind being a purple spandex warrior, but it would be nice to actually look a LITTLE cool even if only to help up the VS pops, as lets face it, 80% of people coming to this game pick a faction based on the brief lore and looks.

TR kinda remind of me Red Faction, or atleast futuristic ****'s - sort of the star wars Empire feel.
    NC have this whole cowboy lore thing going on and (despite the cardboard box claims), kinda look like star wars rebels.
    VS lore should equate to pretty much the Cyborg type lore from Star Trek, but instead come off as ergonomic pansy's (odd I know, but it's just what came to mind), and all look like gymnasts.
  5. NanoBitSplit

Looks like crap.

Now people will whine even more about VS blending in at night if they're not using camo, and if they are the camo covers almost their whole body.

INFs now look especially silly as the silver tri-pointed helmet doesn't match up with anything on the body anymore.

I'd much rather be bright purple with neon orange visors (like PS1- wow!) than this terrible grey mess because people complained about slight differences in camo coverage or nighttime (ha!) visibility.
  6. Sen7ryGun84

Any changes to the TR who stick out like dogs balls regardless of what kind of camo we are using?

At least the VS have mother natures perfect night camo as their default outfit. The TR may as well glow in the dark or by neon pink...
  7. C0L0NELH0GAN

WetPatch gave the reason why I'm also not impressed
  8. Lafladitu

The only models I think changed in a good way is the Heavy Assult and the MAX they look a lot better. but the rest......
    I can though see a clear advantage with Camo usage on all models but vanilla on the 4 other classes.....

Edit nr 1
    I must go in and see what the female models looks like, might change my mind on those models
  9. schwarzklang

Wow finally.
  10. Riftmaker

I'm not saying it's an amazing,game breaking change either. But it's a step in the right direction at least. Changing all the models takes way more time than changing some colors around. Maybe one day we will see that happen too.
  11. pnkdth

When T-Ray told Higby not to oversell this he wasn't kidding.
  12. Ravenorth

This is a very welcome change, next they need to change the texture of the suit(not max and inf), the current one looks like a tire trails. Then they need to add more armor, since VS is the most technologically advanced faction, they should use some kind of futuristic battle suit, which have more metallic parts and less spandex.
  13. Riftmaker

Indeed. They went in a totally wrong direction with that decision. Instead of more futuristic armor they decided that VS needs spandex.
  14. datfluttershy

Good job on the new textures SOE - they still look like your intern did them, but at least the VS population seems to like em.
    Maybee the next step can be and hopefully will be to stop the Camostretching on vehicles to happen.

Overall the texture artists working on PS2 had either no time what so ever to produce the textures, or they did not care. Even with a "spandex" like fabric you could make them look nice and put some attention to detail.
    The part that is mostly sad about it is that it feels like someone took the very well made concept art and wiped his butt with it before he send a bad photocoppy over to the 3D and 2D Artists with a small Briefing at the bottom (2 weeks, 5 classes, 3 factions).

Therefor: The Suits are not impressed with the Suits created, for none of the factions.
  15. Ripshaft

Yeah noticed this when I was on last night, but couldnt tell all that had changed, nice to see the compare pics, though I noticed the real difference was when applying camo... especially on the max, it actually looked... kind of badass. Which is a nice change from the almost comical application of camo currently... not that this eliminates that.

Though keep in mind this is never final. I think the infil looks fantastic, and most of the changes I really like, but I'm worried it might be a bit too much on some of the soldiers (mainly cm/ce/la - ha is less concerning), I think some shoulder colour or other detail might be needed to round out the appearance... but whatever we'll see when it's done and live.
  16. Riftmaker

I already said this might not be the final change. Some people need to be reminded that. The test server is a test server after all.
  17. WetPatch

See the thing is, i don't give a monkeys about the colour, or if we are hard to see in the Dark, with the amount of NV in the game, being hard to see in the dark is pretty much moot anyway.

My problem is, we look rubbish compared to TR/NC, the two other factions look pretty bad-*** when they have their Armour fitted.

VS on the other hand don't. Their are some Alpha screen shots with different Armour's which piss all over these.

http://4.bp.************/-jf5zSkwB1Qo/UQYo5_JpT1I/AAAAAAAAaFU/Ll1JIk4LNN8/s1600/planetside_2_infiltrator-1920x1080.jpg

[IMG]
  18. Shockwave44

They also said they will eventually change all the factions models to match the lore so stop worrying that this is it.
  19. Goretzu

Yup, whilst making VS have black as a faction colour might get more people to play them, it does give a pretty massive nighttime boost (where VS were hard to see anyway).
  20. }{ellKnight

@ WetPatch
    Yeah that looks pretty damn bada**, it's how the VS should look like. A while back someone posted images of the TR infantry from alpha and they looked waaay better as well.
    • Up x 1