Why does the LA need a nerf?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Eclipson, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hsal9

Shotguns were on LA since beta days, at least I remember having vanu LA with shottie in beta, might be goin senile.

I dont remember them ever being a problem, why is it problem now? Shotgun is a one trick pony, it only excels in CQ and it does that well. Complaining about them is on par with complaining being sniped, its a very specialized wep.
    • Up x 1
  2. ent|ty

No, that is your playstyle.
    Yesterday I 'infiltrated' an amp station and created havoc for over 30 mins until I was found and killed.

Infiltrate: To enter enemy territory covertly.
    Assault: To attack.

So no, the LA cannot infiltrate.
  3. Clonecenter-resident

They've always been unbalanced, but there were other things that were more unbalanced that made it hard to see. For example, it's hard to see that LA's are OP when you can't get out of your spawn room due to vehicle spam. Now that things are starting to get more in line with each other LA is the new top of the list. The pump action shotguns are exacerbating the problem by allowing the class with superior mobility and stealthiness (silence is golden, and roofs are a better cloak than infiltrators have) to not only get the drop on you but to kill you in one hit from ever greater ranges. Quick, how far out can a pump action one shot someone? How hard is it for a LA to get that close to someone without them noticing?

The LA is a superior infiltrator because it is completely silent, and can hide in places that other people can't even look at or see. That's not even getting into the conversation of where enemies are expected. They don't flank, they sneak and lurk about, farming kills on unsuspecting victims.

If the jetpack was loud and made a lot of bright light and smoke then yeah, i would argue they are a flanker and you're an idiot if you don't see them coming, but an infantryman flying completely silently through the air with no apparent means of propulsion? In any other game that would be reported as (no-clip) hacking but it's par for the course here... And somehow, out of all of the explosions, and gunfire, and watching for tanks, and mines, and enemy infantry and navigating to objectives, and checking every damn corner for a cloaked infiltrator (a real one) we're supposed to notice the one guy flying silently through the air?

And NONE of that is considering the wonky hit detection on flying LAs. The hitbox does funny things when you're not on the ground, they just fixed it for jumping, they need to look at jumpjets too.

But please, go on with your tale of how hard it is to be an LA. Tell us of the difficulties swooping down on players who have literally zero indication you are there and clicking on their back once. Tell us how much skill you must have to be able to do that because it is clearly the hardest thing in the game to master.
    • Up x 7
  4. LonelyTerran

Give each factions LA distinct audio for their jet packs.
    Same range as the infiltraitor cloak sound as well.

LA fixed
    • Up x 6
  5. Aegie

My kdr is just as good if not better with SMGs or even the NS-11C. A LA charging into a room with a shotgun and mowing people down is less effective than a HA with a shotgun thanks to the overshield. A LA dropping in on unexpecting victims is equally effective with an SMG- plus with the COF values it is far easier to take people down while flying with an SMG. If a LA is above a target and that target is unaware of the LA then the LA can take them down about as easily with a sidearm as with a shotgun- sure, it may take a little longer but the result is going to be the same. Example: the Rebel does 250 damage per shot so 2 headshots or 1 headshot and 2 body shots will take out almost anyone.
    People have been complaining about the LA since the beginning and probably always will because they do not play LA and hate that LAs have something they do not- I think what you are noticing is just that people are complaining less about other things at the moment. Wait for the new Max weapons- even the NS revolver is likely to cause some backlash. Funny thing though, all the talk about nerfing LAs and they are still the only class without a tool. I would be perfectly fine with a LA nerf as soon as the other classes give up the tools they have (this would mean a HA without a RL, a medic without a rez gun, an engineer without a repair gun (or a turret), and an infiltrator without a radar dart).

See, the thing about the LA is that it is the only class that really specializes in taking out infantry- the HA specializes in AV, the engineer in repairing (and in AV now) and ammo, the medic in healing, and the infiltrator in hacking/sniping.
    • Up x 5
  6. Teegeeack

That guy didn't go through a group of enemies, he flanked them. Just like a light assault trooper. Instead of posting videos other people have made, I want YOU to go into the game and approach a group of enemies in full cloak and tell me how long it takes before they spot you.
  7. Liquid23

no... flanking in not dependant on being unseen... seen or unseen flanking is still flanking... in fact the best flanking manuvers are when they CAN see you but just can't do **** about it
  8. Ravenorth

LA jetpack is the only ability without any real drawbacks, which other classes have. Engineer is not listed because his special ability is different.

Heavy Assault:
    - Slower movement speed
    - Glowing, which makes easier to see especially in dark

Combat Medic:
    - Glowing, same as above

Infiltrator:
    - Loud sound
    - Unable to perform any kind of action while cloaked expect moving around and jumping
    - Delay when you can shoot after decloaking

Light Assault:
    - ??????

Giving louder sound to the jetpack is the most reasonable thing to balance it, anyone who disagrees about it just dont have no idea what balance means.
    • Up x 5
  9. p10k56

I w
    I will like to see those who were able to make reliable haedhits while in flight:)
  10. Sea of Ink

Dear Ravenorth,

If someone had invented a device that allowed me to reach through my monitor and slap the **** out of someone . . . well, you'd be pretty high on that list.

Love,

Someone who doesn't suck at this game
    • Up x 6
  11. Clonecenter-resident

And that's fine, I'm all for more rewarding play for skilled players. The truly good pilots are persevering through the nerfs and still doing very well for themselves. I'm happy for them and don't begrudge them that. The truly good tank drivers are doing the same thing and again, I'm happy for them. In both cases the biggest problem was that it was very easy for the relatively unskilled to earn massive rewards and "win" (as much as that can be said in this game) with very little effort.

I think most people feel good with rewarding effort and skill. Unfortunately most people also want to get the most gains with the least effort. Most nerf/OP threads aren't about "I want to farm easier, make X weaker!!!" they are about "X is having way too easy a time of it and is ruining everyone else's play" example: Shaq likes to play basketball. Shaq also likes to win at basketball. Someone needs to be making sure that Shaq isn't playing against middle schoolers. Sure he gets a bunch of easy victories but he ruins the game by being there.

LA's weren't AS bad when they only had carbines and the regular shotties, but they were still unbalanced. The new PA is just exacerbating it. I'm curious what the numbers are on PA usage by class. I know a lot of non-LA's aren't using it because they know they will have to engage at long range eventually, but LA get the class ability to pick and choose their fights. They can decide if they are going to fight someone or not, and when and where. So they usually choose to attack someone when they are alone, their back is turned, and they are distracted. Then they one shot them. As if all of that wasn't enough.
  12. p10k56

After SOE deal with hackers you can nerf, buff and change what ever you want but this kind of thing happens only in galaxy far far away:p
    It is fairy tale as headshoting LAs:eek:
  13. Clonecenter-resident

I don't know what to tell you. As a medic I can gun down HA's that pop their shield if we spot each other at the same time. LA with PA though? I have about a 10% chance and that's only if they start 20m away and we see each other at the same time. If they start closer, or I don't see them it's more like 0%.
    • Up x 1
  14. smokemaker

Enough with the nerfing!

Light assault is an awesome class.

Stop trying to make the sandbox smaller.

Enough with the nerfing!
    • Up x 8
  15. Eclipson

Ok, i'll post on later, but I can't promise the quality is going to be good, as I have to set the record quality to really low, so that I can keep a half way decent frame rate :p
  16. Dubious

With your reasoning
    I infiltrate all the time, with my Engineer
    • Up x 3
  17. PLooschacK

LA don't need nerf. It would be even difficult to nerf the class itself. But, I belive they need fix with their hitbox when in air. I can;t count times when the dude was flying straight at me, descending from some kind of roof and my bullets just flied through him...
  18. Aegie

Rooftops are also often the best place to go if you want to stand out like a sore thumb- they tend not to have the greatest cover available and you make yourself a target for any vehicle jockey nearby.

Depends entirely upon the situation- sometimes it is easy because the target is not paying attention and there is chaos, sometimes it is impossible because there are so many other people around (including other enemy LAs) that trying to get that close means guaranteed death. Sure, there are times where a LA can swoop down and take someone out but in many of these situations they will take one person down and then die to the enemy next to them.

Sometimes they flank, sometimes they sneak- but they always must have a line of sight to kill someone and the weapons available to them do not allow them to do this from a great enough distance to render the target's weapon useless. Let alone that the only way to farm kills on unsuspecting victims is if those victims are relatively alone.

If the jetpack was loud and make a lot of bright light and smoke then jetpacking would be even more of liability than it already is- the only weapon you can fire while jetpacking with any control are the SMGs and even then the effective distance while airborn is very small. With just about any other gun or at any other distance and jetpacking is not only making you stand out from other friendlies but you are entirely vulnerable while doing so. How exactly do you expect a LA to flank anyone if they show up on the minimap everytime they use the only unique thing they have? Unless you only want LAs to have a chance against completely oblivious players then it seems this would be a little over kill. Just like you say, if they made it this way you would have to be an idiot not to see them coming.

No, in all that chaos you are not supposed to notice the person who choose a class that would allow them to get into a better position- the expressed purpose of the class is to avoid your typical areas of activity because that is the only thing they can do- they have no shield or OHK rocket, no infinite ammo or OHK turret, no healing or rezzing ability, no cloak.

Wonky or not, LAs die all the time while jetpacking in the air- in fact, it is perhaps one of the best ways to kill them because they cannot really shoot back when they are flying. I play LA and die while in mid-air all the time- I also kill tons of ther LAs while they are in midair. The problem with hit detection while jumping was due to the speed of the upward motion- they removed Icarus jumpjets from the game for similar reasons. Drifters and Jumpjets do not have the some velocity or acceleration you see in the upward motion of a regular jump- they propel the LA fairly slowly in comparison and again airborn LAs are vulnerable since they cannot fight back.

I am not saying that any of this means that it is really difficult to play as a LA but I think you are underestimating how easy it may be. Most of the time, LA or not, you are down in the fray or close enough to the fray that you are not swooping in and swooping out like some invisible angel of death. Are there times where you can swoop in an kill a couple of unwitting targets? Of course there are but it is far from the norm.

Every faction has LAs and everyone can use them- if you find it very annoying to die from LAs and think they have it easy then why not try playing LA and see for yourself. There are definitely pros but there are also cons.
    • Up x 2
  19. Clonecenter-resident

Good point, let's buff instead. I propose that everyone get a suit slot device that allows you to detect thermal exhaust and show it on the radar at all times.

It's not a nerf, it's a buff!!
    • Up x 3
  20. Liquid23

I don't need a suit to detect thermal exhaust... I can just use the force to guide my proton torpedo to it
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.