Updated activity and ESRL stats

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CupBoy, Apr 2, 2013.

1. CupBoy

If you want to call someone out then do so and argue your point. Don't just throw quotations around to sound smart.
    • Up x 2
  2. Naehloseht

The point is, statistics are not always 100% reliable, nor are they 100% correct to point out what "normal" is, and can be skewed to show favorable things far too easily.

If you could not get that from the simple quote, I am sorry.
  3. CupBoy

And my point is that that's a BS thing to say and then leave. If you think someone is misrepresenting, misunderstanding or in some way misleading, then argue that.

Edit: Look, if you've got something to back up your fancy pants quotation, then let's hear it. Otherwise, don't crap up my thread.
    • Up x 2
  4. Naehloseht

I fail to see how that is ********, but to each his own. SO

When he says "According to statistics"
    I say "Dont trust statistics, as they can often be faulty, and misleading, and too easily skewed on account of personal bias."

I dont see the problem here.
  5. CupBoy

The problem is that you're implying that the numbers are (or at least could be) "faulty and misleading" without backing it up with anything other than an appeal to authority.
    • Up x 4
  6. Apis

Drop it- far two often I see two people forum arguing back and forth about something no ones cares about- watering down the threads content. It's not conceding a point if you truly don't care. If you would've just had him post his quote and said nothing nobody would have cared. Nobody would have completely disregarded the numbers you posted because someone posted a generic Mark Twain quote. Unless of course you're just bumping your own thread.
    • Up x 2
  7. Naehloseht

Except I have stated nowhere that I am the utmost authoritative figure on this subject, (so that fallacy is on you) and the fact that averages is what the statistics are run by.

Knowing this, I implore you take this example: A mother has two children and wants to measure their height each year. The average of the two children is 40 inches. Next year, she measures again and those children grow, so the average grows to 42 inches. The third year, the lucky family has a third child. The mother measures the height again, but lo and behold the average now shrinks to 35 inches. “Oh no, my children are shrinking!” But we all know this isn’t the case. She just had a third child with a lower height; the other two children did not shrink.
  8. Alpharius111

I think you are right. When more people realize how OP phoenixes are and stop pulling MBT's and lightnings against NC altogether, they'll get even less score/hour.
  9. CupBoy

I'm glad you posted to say you don't care.

The authority would be Mark Twain.

I've no idea what you're trying to say.

Anyway, enough of this (from me at least).
    • Up x 2
  10. Odin

Thanks for the stats, hopefully people stop asking for zoom scopes and other buffs for the lancer it already does more damage (avg) then the other too, does more score per hour and every other meaningful stat. Specially people who used it more than a hour.
    Time for people to move on to something else to ***** about. Any buffs to any of the av weapons now would put any of them into op status.
  11. Hosp

Back on topic:

The reason the phoenix still gets more kills but less XP is because they still are useful for sniping hurt infantry. Thus was done quite often in PS1, particularly since Rexos there could use it in conjunction with the bolt driver. But infantry don't pay out as much XP as vehicles.

As for Lancer being utilized to great effect by some but not others, just like PS1 again, it still required the most skill of all 3 ESAV, and isn't as versatile. BUT, in coordinated groups could rain long range destruction.

Striker is just as it was in PS1 as well except for the fact that it cannot dumbfire, but has quite a bit higher DPS.

However, while the statistics are showing everything as pretty well balanced, and IMO every AV is close to as it was in PS1, the big factor that statistics cannot account for is psychological. In that regard, the Phoenix has the greatest psychological effect on it's enemies which, only my theory mind you, is leading to the still constant QQ on these forums. You can't see it (due to rendering issues), you can sometimes hear it (and I love that bomb noise, nice job Sound guys!), and because of those reasons it's like getting hit by a ghost. And that freaks people out to no end because they never know if they have proper cover from it.
  12. Odin

How do you whiners look at those stats and think the phoenix is op? Less score per hour, less damage per hour etc, etc.
    Ohh you must be a cod kid. Durr it does more kills it must be op. Yeah notice the stats on the people that used the esrls for more than a hour and notice the lancer is outperforming the phoenix in every meaningful way.
    But I digress, go ahead kiddies keep up the whine train even when stats completely debunk your whining.
    • Up x 1
  13. Naehloseht

I never stated he was an expert on statistics, nor will I pretend he was, but the example I gave you shows the truth behind his statement. Averages, are very misleading. So lets put this into Planetside2 terms.

Two good Phoenix user's get a score of 10,000 per hour and 8,000 per hour individually, using that weapon alone. 18,000 divided by 2, is 9,000. So we have an average of 9,000 score per hour, now lets introduce a third person who uses the Phoenix for an hour, but only gets 500 score with it.

18,500 divided by 3 is 6,166.6 repeating. Quite a big difference don't you think? The number's are falsified greatly, when in reality 2/3 (60%) are good with the weapon.
  14. Antich

I can back that up. Untill i see stats refering to the actual number of each type of vehicle killed by each launcher the stats mean nothing. I don´t really care that one RL gets more infantry kills then the other either. That is not their purpose and an infantry casualty usually respawns in 15 secs somewhere nearby. Funny enough it takes almost the same amount of time for a guy to get the kill as it takes the guy to respawn if not even more acounting for the 4x% hit chance on that stats.
    My bet is that the phoenix gets less xp/hour due to not really being able to down that juicy air targets the others have an easier way with. However i can´t back that up cause of those stats being more of a guideline then detailed info.
    Now, is about what ppl think is more important. If k/d then NC ESRL is better, if score/hour the NC ESRL is worse.
    However, i must admit this ones are better then the statistics the magrider nerf was based on. Those were soooo badly misleading(i pointed then why, don´t wanna bother doing it again).
    I would like to see the top performers for each ESRL though. Statistics are being tainted now by a lot of ppl jumping in the bandwagon but having no clue how to use them.
  15. treeHamster

The phoenix having a lower score, IS probably accounted by the fact that it's still being used to farm infantry just nowhere near as bad as it was last week. Last week 3/4 of the NC were just camping with a Phoenix and spamming the heck outta it. Now it's more like 1/5 is camping and spamming it out. The Lancer, on the other hand is owned by 1/5 of the VS (at best). None of the new guys run with one and it's hard to find a squad of Lancer users (only found one bigger than 2 people so far).
  16. CupBoy

Yes, quite the difference! And a much better argument than some quote (although I'm still quite not sure what you're trying to argue).

Just because you don't care about some particular stat doesn't make it universally meaningless.

Which would be a lot more meaningless, if you ask me. Balance is for the masses not for the outliers.
  17. MurderBunneh

+ Notice that they look at that ONE stat. Notice the overall empire scores Who is #1 in almost every stat...TR who whines the most...TR.
    TR has a as big a lead in the esf pulled and score per hour as the NC max has over the other maxes. I think NC need to start posting these stats and throw some whines up because we seem to be in last place in most categories.

TR has more kills per hour higher k/d empire wide more defenses more captures but all we hear is Phoenix has more kills QQQQQ.
  18. Badname82

Dear Vanu will people quit posting off topic junk. We don't need a statistics lesson we need threads with less self important pompous toolbags with two years college education pretending they know anything that isn't empty regurgitation.

Thank you for the stats pull. Looks like SOE can get balance right after Six or so passes.
    • Up x 1
  19. Naehloseht

Do not follow statistics blindly as pure god-given truth, that is all.
  20. treeHamster

I get 90% of my Lancer points from ground vehicles. Actually getting a finishing blow on an air vehicle happens like 1 out of every 40 shots I take at them (usually only land like 50% of my air shots vs like 85% of my ground shots).