Another day, another Phoenix buff

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by St0mpy, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. St0mpy

Soo, just been in VR to see what this third (Friday) strength buff did. Wow.

• It now frontkills MBT with 5 shots. A striker takes locking and hitting 18 to front kill, almost all its pool, yet a Phoenix can bring it to smoking in 4. Compared together, the Phoenix is now the most powerful ESL by a hair, or its joint first. Either way, its the now the most powerful.
    • It still rearkills MBT and lightnings in 2, however its stronger with the 1 shot taking about almost 2/3rds of the health off. Striker must lock and hit with 8 to get the same rearkill.
    • It still OSKs ESF, but now it can hit them much better (see below). Locking and hitting with a whole salvo of striker only takes the same ESF to about 2/3rds health.
    However there has been a stealth buff. Its quietly received an acceleration boost, after about 1 second of it firing it now speeds up considerably. Not to super fast speeds but certainly enough to give it that extra bump to OSK slower ESF much easier.

Couldnt test infantry damage yet.

So now the Phoenix is either the strongest or equal strongest with the Striker.
    Doesnt have to lock to fire, it can be used as a stealth weapon.
    Can be fired on infantry when the Striker cant.
    Can be guided to obscure targets when Striker relies on line of sight (hard when the lock chases everyone away)
    TV can be used as a scouting tool to deny enemy sunderers placement up to 300m from any base and locate troop movements up to 500m away.

I suppose we will still get a queue of NC complaining how we are so biassed and the Phoenix is fine and any ESF they catch 'deserves' to die. Especially now its the most powerful AND the most versatile AND has a camera.

Really getting fed up with these so called nerfs, every time its a buff, every time the Phoenix gets stronger when its supposed to be balanced. I dont see any balance. Can you?
    • Up x 11
  2. Armchair

Ah yes, the usual complaint about the NC.

Complain about the firepower of an individual round, but neglect to mention how the low ROF reduces the effective DPS to parity (and for many weapons, to subpar levels)

The phoenix isn't killing anything if just a single engineer is around to outheal the damage.
    • Up x 10
  3. Kon

ESF's who hoverspam and get killed by phoenix deserve it.. that isnt even up for debate if they pay attention weave or have any sort of movement about them its nearly impossible to hit them
  4. CletusMcGuilly

So a weapon that was made to do a good job at AV now does a good job at AV and less of a good job against infantry. I do not see the problem.
    • Up x 3
  5. Tobax

Thats a little off, its a change that was made 2 days ago because when you fired the phoenix it came out so fast that for the first 2 seconds (100m) it could not be moved to aim, so it was changed to come out slower with a second or 2 to adjust and then it speeds up to its NORMAL speed, not faster.
    It no longer OHK kills infantry.
  6. Davethulhu

First 2 posts. You must be psychic.
    • Up x 3
  7. St0mpy

LoL no of course you dont. and you didnt read my bullet points either. For the sake of your lazyness, Its now as strong as a striker if not stronger, doesnt need a lock to fire, doesnt alert the victim, can still kill infantry effectively, can still TV scout the whole area around bases.

So its ok for you to have not only the most versatile, but also the strongest, with none of the drawbacks anyone else has. Yeah thats real considerate of you lol.

oh crap I meant to go back in and do TTK figures, if its not better its close.
  8. Amrok1

Its RoF is faster than a 3-charge lancer, with higher damage, easier target acquisition, and much lower risk. Yes, both lancer and striker have better range, but the Phoenix out classes them in every other aspect now.

Meant to add that it is possible to out damage a vehicle being repaired by an engineer. Want an example? An ESF being repaired will blow up from on Phoenix hit no matter how many engineers are fixing it. Engineers repairing MBTs can also be hit by it, and while it won't ohk them anymore it will make them rethink repairing right then and there.
    • Up x 1
  9. AnotherNoob

How is this remotly linked to the balance of the weapon compared to other rocket launchers?
    • Up x 1
  10. Tobax

Ohh and thats wrong too, it puts the ESF on fire which the pilot could put out with the right cert but hitting an ESF is still very hard unless its hovering.
    • Up x 1
  11. St0mpy

Not true. The initial camera was solidly locked for the first 100m. The change 2 days ago made it so it could be steered right out of the barrel.

It did NOT have todays extra acceleration buff 2 days ago.

It did NOT have todays acceleration buff when I was on VR testing about 3 hours before the servers were patched today.

This is a new buff only just added today. Go see for yourself, all of you. It now fires at normal speed for about 1 second, then it does a whizzy speed up, and has a total flight time of about 7 seconds (give or take a tenth). 2 days ago I timed it at 8 seconds.
  12. Teegeeack

Show me a player who rolls with fire suppression system and I will show you a player who has been playing for approximately a week.
    • Up x 2
  13. Kinj

Oh look, you again. I figure, if you spent half as much time actually playing the game as you do complaining about it, you'd be an FPS god. But as it stands, sounds like you're Phoenix-fodder.

By the way, I don't even own the thing. But this QQ is absolutely hilarious, never before have I seen so much utter whining.

Phoenix, the rogue class of PS2. Superb.
    • Up x 3
  14. Leal

Whine about damage vs infantry > infantry damage gets nerfed >whine about damage it does against vehicles.

Jesus christ, why don't they just make every single NC weapon fire out a flag that says "Bang" on the end so people will finally stop crying about NC weapons?
    • Up x 5
  15. St0mpy

It puts them so close to burning its barely 1 second and boom. Thats 1SK enough.
    • Up x 1
  16. CletusMcGuilly

I was in favor of the infantry nerf, as I also play TR. The Phoenix now does the job it was supposed to do, now hopefully the Lancer will get some attention.
  17. Kon

HITTING WITH THE PHOENIX IS THE SAME DIFFICULTY AS WITH DEFAULT DUMBFIRE AS THE SCOPE OBSCURES YOUR VISION WHILE LEADING. LEMME GUESS YOU DONT WANT DUMBFIRES TO HIT YOU EITHER? MOVE AND YOU WONT BE HIT PHOENIX IS ABOUT PUNISHING THINGS THAT DONT MOVE

ALSO SPEED INCREASE MEANS IT FLIES MORE STRAIGHT SO ITS EASIER TO DODGE, I WOULD RATHER HAVE THEM LEAVE THE VELOCITY FROM LAUNCH AND GIVE US SLIGHTLY VARIABLE VELOCITY TURN FLYING PHOENIX INTO SOMETHING WITH FINESSE
  18. St0mpy

How about you all stop complaining like you deserve the strongest launcher AND with none of the drawbacks we have to deal with AND with even more OP perks than any faction have.
    • Up x 1
  19. Badname82

I couldn't get past this point in your post. I got an immediate splitting headache trying to read it.

A phoenix has 5 rounds. As you state, it takes all 5 to front kill an MBT.
    A striker needs to use 3 full clips. This is almost, but not all it's ammo.

In other words, the striker does not need to use it's full ammo pool. How is this a positive for the Pheonix when it is the STRIKER that uses less ammo, in less time, to kill the MBT?

Sure, maybe if you brought up points like countermeasures to show that effectively the Striker uses more than 3 clips in practice which affects balance, that might be a good argument. But you don't. You just focus on how much of starting ammo (disregarding engineer ammo packs) ESLs need to kill tanks from the front.

And by that simple criteria, the Striker is better. So you disprove your own point. That made my temples start pounding.

But then this caused me to throw my keyboard at the monitor, to avoid my head exploding by reading any further.

Because being jointly as powerful as the Striker would be a travesty. Amirite? Let's see what the xp/hour looks like in a week.
    • Up x 1
  20. Onetoo

I just hope the Lolancer gets a Phoenix style "nerf" soon.
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.