[Video] Killing a tank zerg - AV Turret edition

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Swellzong, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Swellzong

Me and a friend taking out a huge portion of a tank zerg alone using the engineer's AV mana turret.
    I also talk a little about whether or not I think it's balanced.

• Up x 4
  2. xGreedFuSioN

10/10 is balanced.
    I freaking ADORE the AV turret, and I'm literally never an engineer. I just no once theres a few engies with AV turrets, it's actually gonna be an enjoyable fight with one or two tanks and 50 or so infantry on each side, not just shell spam vs the 5 infantry that dare call themselves infantry and our group of tanks.
    If only we could get one thats op vs esfs and libs :c
    even when i see an AV turret on BOTH of our sides, it delights me. woot my gun is might actually be useful for once.
    • Up x 1
  3. Deathcapt

AV turret is a hard counter to out of range bombardment by armor. Additionally, it kicks the **** out of stationary armor in general. I'm not sure how to balance is though, I think the damage is a little high right now, maybe tone it down 10-15%.
    • Up x 2
  4. lootandshoot

When there are people doing that if you have smart esfs they will kill them. i know i do.
  5. Urban Cohort

The AV turrets are fine in terms of power (for the most part, maybe a little too much but I'm a tanker/infantryman), but engies shouldn't be given an infinite number of these things.

I personally put the AV turret/mountain type of tactic as pretty low though, as many times they'll be firing on armor that hasn't rendered them, so I don't hesitate to grab a LA with a shotty to deal with them (assuming there's no air already after them).
    • Up x 1
  6. The Milk Man

I think the model for the AV Turret needs to be revamped. The tripod thing that holds the entire cannon should be a lot more advanced, detailed, bigger and bulky because its pretty obvious that the devs simply took that from the AI turret. By making the turret bigger, your making it more of a bigger target and that's better for the tanks and anyone in general to spot you.

In this video though, I can't believe a single ESF didn't kill you guys because I would of rushed over there with my rocket pods.
    • Up x 2
  7. PaperPlanes

And easy counter for that is to squad deploy some AA MAXes. While you can't use a beacon as a MAX, you can go MAX and then hit squad deploy to drop pod on your squad leader. Since most of them were Engineers, that also means they keep the AA MAXes repaired and supplied with unlimited flak. Add a medic or two to go on revive duty and...yeah, pretty much unstoppable. It's just the old Annihilator squad setup, but with the Anni HAs replaced by AV Engineers. One of the most powerful group setups in the game, the only real counter to it is an enemy infantry assault or I suppose a very overwhelming amount of ESFs (which pretty much never happens since pilots are lone wolves who don't give a **** about each other).
  8. GSZenith

to be fair had an awesome moment sunday or sat my dual burster max + 2 single burster max vs about 15flyboys with pods, we won cos flyboys can't dream about losing their esf :) 1 hit, flies away like a coward.
  9. biterwylie

The hills were full of these over the weekend.

Hilarious. Needs ammo limit and damage reduction down to annihilator level.

At the moment it is a vastly more effective anti tank weapon than a tank itself.
    • Up x 1
  10. nella

What I don't like is the buggy hitboxes that comes with these av turrets. That was me shooting at you with a sniper, and it kept hitting the turret even though I'm 100% sure that it should've been a headshot, or at least a bodyshot.
    • Up x 3
  11. Swellzong

I was curious about seeing that damage and initially I was really scared of getting sniped in the turret.
    The hitbox of the turret is much bigger than the actual model, though, and I even sometimes use it as cover in CQC.
  12. TheManWithThePlan

I've noticed that whenever I point it at snipers they never seem to be able to hit me. They just plink away at the turret health while I snipe them and their team mates with the turret. That being said, I think something needs to be done to reduce its anti infantry capabilities as well as reduced damage to armor.
    • Up x 1
  13. nella

It's like an invisible shield. at 1:50 when you turned towards the amp station, I had your entire body in my sights but it wouldn't do any damage to you, so I gave up.
    • Up x 1
  14. Zenanii

The range seems a bit too much, spawned a sunderer at Ceres Hydroponics while assaulting Ti Alloys and two engineers at the crown took me out before I could figure out what was hitting me.
    On the flip-side I've also camped on top of the crown with another engineer and completely locked down Ceres Hydroponics, killing or forcing a retreat against any armor that spawned there, ended up killing several sunderers and a couple of tanks.
  15. Wildclaw

AV turrets are like lock-on rockets, except they

* don't give any warning
    * can't be countered with IR smoke
    * don't have a 400m range limit
    * deal higher dps.
    * have no ammo limit

Yes, AV turrets have a couple of disadvantages as well, but nothing that comes even close to make up for the above list of advantages.

And the damage is really the smallest part of the problem. Remember, annihilators were considered overpowered even though they have always dealt fairly pathetic damage.
    • Up x 5
  16. GSZenith

what disadvantages are you talking about? so far at 600-1200m range only died 5 times now :(

durning dubble weekend even got a 9man sunderer :D oh the joy and the certs
    unkown Av turret guess 1km aawy is a bit to far for game to registrate what killed the target.

[IMG]
  17. ExarRazor

the damage on the AV turret needs to be toned down.

its ****** up when a single av turret rocket hits the FRONT of a maxed out blockade armor sundy and takes off a full 1/4'th of it's hp

the ONLY other **** in game that can do that are AP tank rounds, and even then, i dont think they deal THAT much damage.

for something that costs 0 resources and has infinite ammo, its WAY too powerful right now.

also, it needs to not be able to be deployed in indoor areas.

outdoor only.

other than that, i think the AV turret is fine as-is
  18. biterwylie

I love watching this video. SOE should give you free station cash. They will sell a ton off the back of this.
  19. fludblud

My main problem with the AV turret isnt the damage but the unlimited ammo, where the hell are these rockets coming from? the turret doesnt seem to possess a magazine and as its firing missiles it obviously isnt energy based, so how is it able to fire constantly forever?

Maybe make the turret have some sort of limited ammo? That way every several rounds the engineer has to get off and chuck down an ammo pack to keep things going, a small change but that momentary gap in firing can be all the armor needs to strike back plus it does help with the immersion.
  20. JesNC

IMO damage and range are fine, but

- the buggy hitbox needs to be fixed

- the turret needs a coloured shield like the AI turret to make it more easily identifyable at range. Playing pixel hunt while having your tank pelted by high damage missiles is a rather unfun experience.
    • Up x 3