The state of PS2 and what I feel must change.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BuzzCutPsycho, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Rusky

Just take 5 min and read it if you are interested ? Not everything can be told in 3 words.
  2. Hodo

I dont have time to read a novella right now, at work, I just want the cliffs notes version.
  3. Shinrah

Well maybe you should wait until you are home then. I´m pretty sure your job isn´t reading forums. Not everything can be spoonfed just because you don´t want to read it.
  4. QuazarX

No he's right, this can't be really TLDR'ed
  5. EmanModnar

To add to the AMS no-deploy zone. As Buzz pointed out, it's about getting to and defending/attacking an objective and the time it gets there is vital. You spawn quicker at an AMS (which I agree with to help promote the AMS use and give exp to a supporting structure. However, if as a defender you only have the spawn room to pick from, and the attackers have an AMS at the point, the spawn timer compounds the issue.

The other benefit of having a no-deploy zone it will allow you to have multiple AMS's around the facility in a reasonable range, instead of having 1 dead center, and others at a great distance.

I would also love to see the bubble come back, and don't mind having to put certs into it (but not at a cost of losing some other option).

AMS Survivability is ridiculous during off hours, or on that low-popped area. 1 reaver can stop a squad if it happens by, 1 light assault that can drop C-4, DIE before blowing it up, and still kill the AMS with it (by either respawning and detonating, or a 'defender' trying to remove it, so shoots it, and it blows up). Here is the underlying problem: Most situations is Paper/Rock/Scissors. However an AMS can be trumped by too many other options, they can get mine guard, but still drop to C4, or a Reaver, or AV weapons, and for that matter a few mines even maxed, or a tank, or even a loaded fury, and now an AV turret. AMS's are vital as Buzz says, but even more so at small battles. They need more defense/shields - you increased the exp already so now they're even more of a target. I understand needing to upgrade, and depending on your infantry force and armor to help defend the AMS - but on off hours - you don't have a zerg to work with.

Battle Flow - most of what Buzz talks about is in regards to this - I want to see the hex system work, and try and stay away from the lattice (although I enjoyed it, the LLU runs, being able to back hack). I want to fight in those 'little places' and seeing the rest of his ideas implemented would encourage that however:

SCU's everywhere: I like. Buzz mentions momentum - a long attack on a base, people stay, they want the big exp, attackers build up Vehicle resources while it turns into an infantry fight, SCU stays up, defenders stay inside spawn room tossing frags from safety and getting kills, however when the base goes down - you have an attacking force (typically larger then the defending one) garner a massive vehicle column, that most likely already has most of the connecting hexes, head out, towards smaller hexes, that don't have time to set up defense and full vehicles - especially when part of the attacking zerg has mass air - that's what is wrong, people don't pull out quick enough from a defending 'lost' situation - SCU with a Pain Shield to help push them out - only addresses part of the problem.

The other part - the mass vehicle onslaught that ensues - the smaller hexes need to be able to be defended better - the great fights at the smaller hexes are the ones you can defend, yes opening the spawn rooms helped a lot, and some fight have gotten better - and the way most of the terrain was built - a lot better then PS1 - forcing a certain route. I would like to see more walls, more barricades, more air cover of the capture points on the smaller zones - bridges that are their own hex region with shields and monster turrets on each side --- Take the towers in PS1 - they lasted longer then some fights now - and that's because there was a covered spawn room with direct access to the control point - yet the enemy could still get Infantry in the way (with no doors the towers wouldn't work still because of vehicle spam but that could easily be addressed by corridors.

With that being said - bigger fights - bigger exp for taking them. These inbetween base fights is what PS1 need to change up game play, and it can happen now - and as Buzz said - if they had an impact it would be worth defending - if you could actually defend them - not just resources but other minor benefits - those surrounding a bio-lab would increase the bio-lab benefit even more for example - but only if you hold a bio-lab to begin with.

Attackers don't need an incentive to go through a small hex a defender needs an incentive to help defend it though and here is the other issue: No Defense Exp - so you don't want to give EXP to a defender for holding a base because of it being exploited I get that but if you do these two things: 1 - if a point is taken past the half way point and resecured - you get half the experience of the cap -- apply this to bases ONLY 2nd: Give more EXP (boost) as a defensive bonus - I see attacking and defending bonus's but they're minor, and they're only around the control point - give a bonus in the entire capture area, and across the board for all things (5% or 7% or whatever) apply this to the smaller regions only. This way support people who get exp will also get the bonus instead of those certed to kill.

More later....
  6. MaxDamage

Makes no sense.
  7. drNovikov

So massive zergs could steamroll faster? This will not remove spawncamping, this will only make zergs roll faster.

This will make it harder to use brain and flank enemies and easier to do linear zerg steamrolls.
    • Up x 1
  8. drNovikov

Zerglings can't handle too many variables. They want to steamroll. Capturing territories to increase influence and help your teammates is too strategic. For the Swarm!!!

Really?
    • Up x 1
  9. drNovikov

Indar is great, that's why people love it and fight on it.

Just leave it, go somewhere else. When I'm tired of Indar, I just go somewhere else. Problem solved. Well, actually, problem never existed.

No, it doesn't. People love it. When I'm tired of the Crown, I just go somewhere else. Crown is fine. It is not easy to do dumb zerging the Crown and pulling 40 HE Prowlers and spamming the spawn with HE. That's why people like it. You actually have to work to get the Crown. Having more tanks than opponents have men does not work so well here.

Yesterday we did a gal drop on the Crown and took it from multiple TR platoons in just 6 minutes. That takes brain and organization, not just zerging and steamrolling.
    • Up x 3
  10. Hodo

Then can someone just give me the points he covers.
  11. Kalmageddon

I wonder how many people that are now clapping their hands at BuzzCutPsycho even bothered to reflect on the implication of these changes.
    Which, for the lazy ones, is "we need more zerg".
    ...Not a solution, sorry. And definitly not worth a quintuple post.
    • Up x 3
  12. The Shermanator

The only thing I gathered from OP is that he wants the game to turn into a match-based FPS with nothing for smaller outfits/dedicated squads to do. No capture timers? Are you serious?

Then I remember that all this is coming from TR, and it all makes sense.
    • Up x 1
  13. Vachek

Some very good points but I completely disagree with the first, hell i'd call it the Brady err Buzz rule. Before any TE jump on me or anyone that doesn't understand what i'm getting at let me explain why. TE is a very good outfit on Matherson, also very big, I would guess the biggest of all the factions.

Therein lies the problem, with a little organization and that many bodies TE literally steamrolls bases. I don't mean to call them a zerg, its not a mindless swarm or sheep that fall into line and simply overwhelm a few defenders, but the effect is the same. TE has some good players, but they are mostly multipliers,t he bulk of the force is nothing extraordinary. All the same it takes several NC outfits of our coalition to engage or stop them. If a server doesn't have an equal sized outfit of opposite faction or groups of outfits, conts will be rolled one after another.

I am only speaking from experience but I think that first point may need some more thought.
  14. Bravesteel

I logged in, just to thumbs up every single one of BuzzCutPsycho's points.
  15. DrEvilPenguin

Yeah. The game needs more structure. Influence and Hexes suck : here is why. Indar is terrible : here is why. Some game mechanics need to be changed or removed : here is why. etc, etc.

Or like...you could just read the giant red headers of each point he makes if you want a TL;DR of just the points he covers.

But I guess that's too hard.
  16. Hodo

Thanks thats all I asked for. I guess he has covered all this before in one of his long rant videos he is so fond of posting.
  17. LordMondando

uh..

Whilst there are certain changes that are contestable, like the SCU - certaintly would not oppose that on a base by base basis. His main thrust is:

Server pops too low, im bored of zerging the crown, merge servers then alter the game mechanics so the different zergs are put on tram lines to run around the map bashing into each other. Also 'buff' infantry even more and some weird stuff about cloaking sundies.

He wants to turn the game into a zergfest, is a fair summation of it. There is more to it than that, and he's the 4056070# person to identify there an issue with population distribution. But he's wrong on how to fix it.
  18. Hodo

Well to be honest, the short bits I have had a chance to read over, seem like decent suggestions. But you are correct that it could turn the game into a zerg fest. But considering he is the hancho over one of the largest zerg outfits in the game, it wouldnt be a bad thing to push for something that works more into your outfits strengths. But I havent got all the way through those walls of text yet.
  19. Hosp

20. DrEvilPenguin

Maybe when you have time you can actually read it. The entire thing was written as a whole ; each section is not modular to be looked at by itself - you can agree with him or not, he explains his reasoning.