As well as the other problems, crap flying everywhere.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by LordMondando, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Clovus

This is the exact problem I have. To top it off, most of the time, when I am killed or I kill, the game crashes. Completely unplayable.

Please use a test-server for major updates in the future.
  2. TorsoBoy

Bloodlet: Yes. The game crashes for me pretty consistently after the warping starts.
    • Up x 2
  3. Mattsville1

Great question Bloodlet.

I eventually lock up after the warping starts.

What I usually see is when I first log in and am at the Warp gate, everything seems OK - No warping of any type. The minute I move I start to see a small amount of warping here and there - maybe one or two people around me, which gets progressively worse over time until everyone and everything is warping like crazy.

After about 10 minutes the warping gets so bad as to be unplayable, and about 65% of the time I'll get the world flickering bug and a complete lockup shortly after (I'll still get a complete lockup at around 10-15 minutes even without the flickering though).
    • Up x 2
  4. Miggs

I am now limited to running about and repairing things now. I do get a game crash once the FPS bottoms out, but as soon as I begin to see the FPS begin to dip I relocate to a quieter area. A friendly zerg passing by close can start the FPS drop, but it's more normally a few air vehicles bouncing around that does it for me.

It just feels wrong to get a kill when the poor sap on the other end can't even see me unless I stand still for a second or two. I have started to shoot the floor in front of my opponents sometimes to give them a fright, but other than that it's playing well back from the point of contact and repairing or mine laying that I find myself doing now.

From my POV the FPS issue is a red herring. I wonder how many other players are getting this synch problem but not realising it, since it could just look like you are being really lucky in getting the first shot in on opponents at close quarters and since all your targetsare not warping about you don't see a problem.

Only the fact that my K/D ratio should be around 0.7 instead of 12.0 and I noticed some weird stuff popping up on my HUD minimap set me wondering about this issue.

It's weird, I kind of miss getting killed in firefights so I sometimes just go to a fight and stand still for a while.
  5. xEpicTaco

Jachim
    Not everyone is a paying customer. In fact many people opt to not pay the monthly fee. However I loved PS1 and love PS2 so I pay monthly to show support.

Breaking a game so I am wasting money every day that I cannot play is not the optimal way to keep a customer base happy. The total lack of response is disturbing.
    • Up x 1
  6. SonicXVe

I think it has something to do with CPU clock... As a previous poster stated, the warping is most dramatic when overclocking. The idea sparked in my head when I remembered that Saints Row 3's cutscenes would get crazy out of sync with any slight CPU clock changes. Since I use ASUS EPU-6, and it adjusts the CPU clock even slightly, I disabled it and the rapidly increasing gap turned into a slight warp. It was still enough to cause problems and over time (a couple hours) the game still imploded, but it's a start. I have a strong feeling whatever they tried to do to optimize the game and help the CPU load screwed with people with certain CPUs or software.
  7. xEpicTaco

Submitted a support ticket will update when they respond.
    Ever since the GU2 the game is unplayable and unstable. Shortly after logging in everything on the minimap starts warping about and vehicles & infantry warp around as well. I can kill people nearly with impunity as they do not seem to be able to see me very well. In addition I get the "Restricted Area" warnings at random times.

These problem persists until after 5-10 minutes when I get the texture flash bug then it hard locks and I have to open task manager and shut it down.

Refer to this thread for more people with the same issues.
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...s-the-other-problems-flying-everywhere.87669/
  8. LordMondando

The issue with that line of thinking however is that cpu clock to chip is not some sort of absolute value.
  9. Bloodlet

I'll say this. In testing, I do still see some warping without overclocking but it does SEEM like it is less pronounced. I've tried twice at my OC speed and twice at default clock settings and while I still see some people stuttering a little on the minimap it is a lot more manageable.

I'm not sure it is conclusive proof yet and will keep testing.
  10. Phantom699

I'm having the same problem on Connery. I get into the game, walk outside the warpgate spawn building and see the many vehicles freaking out all over the place, then I start teleporting too, even when I'm in a vehicle as a gunner! This started after the hotfix today. I can't even play the game to see if the stuttering bug was fixed!
  11. Mattsville1

This is VERY interesting. I use EPU-6 as well, and once I turned it down I'm noticing a lot less warping. It is still there but it seems to take longer before it starts and when it does start it is much less pronounced (people warping around me in 1 meter increments instead of 30-40 meter increments).

I was able to play for 30 minutes before I logged out (Voluntarily logged out instead of crashing! Imagine that!) where as before I would crash usually within 15 minutes.

I'll play around with this some and post back here any results.
  12. Miggs

I put in a bug report about this and opened a support ticket, since from my tech-limited perspective I was thinking the FPS issues and the de-synch issues were two separate artefacts.

Had a series of replies and I was specific about raising the point about my apparant character translocation and de-synch I have been seeing.

It seems the devs are fully aware of what we are calling the server de-synch and they are trying to fix it, it's just they are calling the problem an FPS related issue. I hope they don't mind, here's a direct clip from one of the responses I got...
    ---
    When we refer to FPS issues, we refer to a wide-range performance problems similar to what you're describing.
    ---

I set EPU-6 to energy saving just now and was able to get a good bit of extra time in-game before players began warping too. Interesting. When I say a good bit I mean I was having no apparent problems for around 25 minutes rather than 10 minutes, though I still ended in a freez I had to "three fingered salute" my way out from.

I might try taking it out of the equation altogether for PS", though I find the rocket setting gives me a good deal of extra "oomph" when playing Rise of Flight, without rocket setting I suffer very poor frame rates when flying.
  13. Bloodlet

Ok so maybe it is a giant coincidence but I've now been playing over an hour now with little to no warping after un-overclocking my CPU.

p.s. I use AMD Overdrive for my overclocking.
  14. Miggs

You can do a little underclocking with EPU-6, Might give that a go too.

If I remember you can even set up specific programme profiles in it too, but it's getting late here now. Off to bed for me.
  15. Mattsville1

OK this is starting to make more sense to me now.

What I think is happening is a reporting mismatch between what your client is telling the server it is doing and the difference with what the server expects your client to be doing.

In my case, for those of you who don't know ASUS EPU-6 is a program that will automatically throttle your system to run faster or slower based on load. So if you are typing an email or just browsing or something, the program will throttle back your CPU, fans, clock rate etc in order to save energy (-1% by default). But if you are doing something intensive like rendering a video or playing a game, the program will throttle you up in an effort to increase performance.

In my case I have the program set to the defaults and when the program throttles up it will dynamically increase CPU clock rate by +3% at the highest throttle setting. What I suspect is happening is that say for example my character is running forward on foot, my client (because it is under load) is actually running 3% faster than what it was when I first loaded the game and handed over my configuration details to the client and server. So my client when running forward in a straight line is reporting to the server that it in fact running forward, but since I am doing so 3% faster than what the server expects me to be doing this causes an issue.

So just for sake of argument: If it would normally take me 100 seconds to run 1 kilometer and that is what the server expects me to do, but I actually run the kilometer in 97 seconds because I am 3% faster than what the server expects then this could help explain what is happening. The server may be trying to correct this behaviour because it thinks that the mismatch is maybe a network slowdown or something similar. As in my client reports to the server "Hey Mr. Server I am currently at coordinates -x -y -z" but the server feels I should be at a different -x -y -z coordinates and tries to correct this.

This could also help explain why dynamic entities in game (tanks, soldiers, planes) warp like crazy, but static elements do not (Buildings AA turrets, etc). Because the static elements are handled by your client, whereas dynamic elements are also handled by your client based on data received from the server. So the server is attempting to tell your client which dynamic elements around you are changing their values (i.e. Moving closer or farther away from you) but the server is updating you based on the incorrect values it has for your position and state in the game world, wnd this is what is causing you to become out of synch.

Any thoughts?
  16. Bloodlet

Sounds plausible. If this is the problem then I'll just go ahead and pat myself on the back now for pointing it out.
    Also since setting my CPU to default I am still playing just fine. Now going on 2 hours straight.
  17. Mattsville1

Yep, you can change the amounts on all of the settings. I'm going to set my CPU overclock to 10% (the default is 3%) and see if it is worse.

I'll let you guys know what happens.
  18. Mattsville1

Oh for sure man. If this is the problem I owe you a beer. :)
  19. Jachim

I'm currently using an intel i7 processor. It's nothing to do with overclocking, mine is not overclocked and I can tell you that the warping makes my game UNPLAYABLE. COMPLETELY.
  20. IronZuuL

Yeah was testing the new patch earlier today a few times to try different settings to fix the warping problem (no luck there). And was called lag switch hacker, and being reported, etc. Hopefully SoE wont penalize players for suffering this BS bug that they are responsible for in the first place. I'll stay away from the game until the next patch for safety reasons. -_-