Ultimate Empire Votedown

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Phaedo, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Phaedo

Personally, as a Large Vanu Sovereignty outfit member on the Mattherson server, we had an amazing time during the UES. However, We won all three challenges whilst listening to the official stream of the Connery server. As you all probably know on Connery the VS won 2/3 challenges where as the TR won 1/3 and the NC didn't win any. As of the other however many servers, the MAJORITY of the servers were 3/3 VS. Even in the stream the VS were declared the victorious in their completion of the challenges. So why the **** did the TR win? They received a popular people's choice award, a community wide "who did you want to win" vote. Okay so a lot of people wanted the TR to win. They didn't.

I'm not angry or mad that the TR "won", but this was an event to see which faction was more successful and as the term implies, a Showdown. A competition; a decisive confrontation. The Vanu Sovereignty won the confrontation. We won the war. You Claim Planetside 2 is supposed to be an ongoing war, what was displayed last night was not a war, it was American Idol.

As the thread name implies the Ultimate Empire Showdown, was not a showdown at all. It was a Votedown. Just because the TR got a popularity vote they win? Clearly they couldn't deliver anything to the battlefield.

[IMG]

I can almost guarantee that I'm not the only person that feels cheated that the TR won when clearly the VS was the victor.

That said... this event was incredibly fun and I would love to see more of these in the future. The absolute scale of each fight is why Planetside 2 is obviously one of, if not THE best, FPS available today. And that event really made the game shine through and aside from the horrid lag while defending the Bastion (was that just mattherson or did anyone else lag like crazy there?) it was amazingly fun.
    • Up x 16
  2. MaxDamage

Sorry, you were saying something?
    [IMG]
    • Up x 13
  3. Phaedo

Actually yes, I was.
    • Up x 7
  4. Pyro Force

Connery was borked with lag that entire Bastion fight as well. And I'm pretty sure point C may still have lagged grenades going off in it. Additionally, if you think anyone really won this, perhaps you missed the lack of resets on any server other than Connery. Or for that matter, the resets on Connery confusing the **** out of EVERYONE. Whoever had the Bastion at the start of that event was pretty much guarenteed to win it. Without a reset, the last challenge was utterly pointless. The in game portion wasn't designed to be even, and it showed. The voting was never going to be even, and it wasn't. Take it for what it was; an excuse to get people to play on Amerish, and to get more exposure for the game. I'd say it was a hell of a fight, and worth watching the Bastion get turned to glass.

Also, where did all this care come from? Last I heard, this event was "stupid and pointless." Why so surprised?
    • Up x 3
  5. gudman591

You really are not the only one feeling cheated. I do too.

On the bright side, I've once again seen Amerish lighting up with trassers and explosions all over the place. Like the early days, before everyone just thought like "Indar 7 days a week". Worth it.
    • Up x 5
  6. Caydn

Didn't even know you could vote , no doubt they will call this event a success , wont bother with the next one
    • Up x 5
  7. Llaf

Of course the VS won. I don't like them and I don't think they deserve it due to my own personal balance opinions, but I as well as the rest of the sane TR population concede they won. Giving TR the "win" was a bad joke, and the TR going around bragging about how we won are idiots. Anyone with a brain can clearly see what really went down.
    • Up x 4
  8. Phaedo

Because the devs decided to be all "lol nope! VS we see you won.... but... they got more votes soooo......"

[IMG]
    • Up x 5
  9. Aerensiniac

Look at Woodman please.
    I left the entire crap after 20 minutes cause 2/3 of our faction didnt even bother to join amerish.
    Vanu was screwing around on indar and esamir, so give my regards to soe for not tossing in a reward according with participation in this event. Then maybe at least people would have bothered to join the fight.
  10. Phaedo

Well I'm sorry that your Vanu pop was being really... Absent minded, or even just absent. However I don't really care for a reward or anything like that (however though that would've been a good idea for incentive.) but after we finished the bastion event on my server the VS had I believe 14% territory control. We came back like demons finishing with an 80-90% territory control (not going to lie mainly because about 20 or so minutes into the event (64% VS control) the entire TR and NC said **** it and left the continent.) I am just aggravated that after all that the only recognition we VS get is oh well we see that you won on almost every server... But the TR won a popularity vote so they win. Even in the stream they said the VS won 2 challenges the NC won 0 and the TR won 1 and the popularity vote so that's 2 for the TR therefore the TR wins! It's like WTF it's tied. look at the scoreboard and see who won more. Only fair way to choose a winner.
  11. Garzin

0:40
    • Up x 1
  12. rockman202

Did you listen to the event, rather than just watch it? The first time they mentioned what the popularity polls were at, which if I remember correctly was before the first event was finished, they said the winner of the popularity poll was getting a trophy, NOT the winner of the event of getting a trophy. The trophy was a reward for winning the popularity contest, it may not have been good idea to reward the popularity contest rather than the event contest with a trophy, but get over the whole whiny nonsense.
  13. Tycan

I was really excited for this event and thought there would be more depth to it than this.. I get that it is a big deal to get even this to happen but uneven fights on servers(not connary, shock horror) and challanges starting with uneven footing to some sides just makes the whole thing feel REALLY rushed. Like they didn't think it through. The stream is a prime example of it being rushed. .. it died. which is a bad start to their Esports partnership. And then, as if its not bad enough VS wipe the floor with EVERYONE and everything. the planet as thoroughly wiped of all life bar the VS.. and people that say this is the clearest evidence yet of VS being unbalanced with the other 2 teams are "sore losers". I'm sorry but a piece of string half a centimeter longer than two other pieces of string is still longer, its not an excuse its fact.
    • Up x 1
  14. D-Spirith

Do you even care about it? Come one man, like when are you going to see SO MANY vehicles, infantry and air in one place again?
    I enjoyed the event A lot, it was great. Was laggy tho at the Bastion, but still great.
    • Up x 2
  15. QuantumMechanic

I thought it was unfair that VS had The Bastion in the first place when that challenge started, but whatever. Obviously SOE has much to learn about tournament events.

But why did TR win? I myself would like to know. Sounds like bull ****e to me. Again, SOE has much to learn about holding tournament events.

(personally I think they let TR win as a bribe to keep TotalBiscuit from doing honest review videos of PS2. Hah, only half kidding)
  16. Phaedo

Three things
    1. I'm not whining. Im debating the results.
    2. I did LISTEN to it. I'm pretty sure I said that in the original post. I was busy stomping the NC and TR on my server to sit and watch it. Sorry.
    3. I'm perfectly aware that a trophy was given to the popularity contest winner. Thats irrelevent. Im trying to figure out why it is plastered everywhere that the TR won the UES when, clearly, they didn't.
    • Up x 1
  17. csp0811

I'm a TR guy, and I was confused when TR won despite losing most of the challenges. All questions of balance and "VS being OP" aside, VS won, and should have gotten the victory. Even if they won because of OP weapons or whatever, they still technically won. Bending the rules only undercuts the prestige of a game event, (if it had any to being with)

At least if the VS had won, we would have had a place to start from when honestly asking "Are the VS unbalanced, or not?"
    • Up x 1
  18. HadesR

BTW who the hell is the bald idiot who couldn't commentate his way out of a paper bag ?
    • Up x 1
  19. NightmareP69

SOE said TR won becuase they knew the forums would be floded with even more man children TR, crying 24/7 how VANU is OP.
    While true real players know who won the event, we Vanu.
    • Up x 1
  20. Axiom

VS won the actual war, TR won the beauty pageant contest thanks to totalbiscuit. I knew this event was gonna be a total letdown. It's sad to see that I wasn't wrong.
    • Up x 1