Best ESF Dogfighters

Discussion in 'Waterson (US East)' started by PureSalad, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahynd

Thanks for the respond Nerhesi, I understand how it works and yes I do find myself using terrain alot. That and what was said above about having the missile over shoot, I have done it a few times no clue how I did it but I have watched a couple missiles fly right by as I swap to 3rd person to catch my barrings quickly.
  2. PureSalad

No skill in a one vs one dogfight? Reverse Manuever useless in dogfights? What are you smoking? Coming from someone with a .62 KDR your statement is reasonable.
    Nevesnet VS one of the best if not thee Best lib pilot on Jaeger. You should talk to him, and I agree completely, that if you can fly anything like Nevesnet a Lib is actually unfair to compete agaisnt in a ESF one on one situation.

He's not lying Nerhesi. It's almost impossible to one vs one that kind of a lib with a skilled pilot and gunner. You have no openings for attack that do not put you in the danger zone of dying in 1 quick hit. The only way to do it is if your running afterburn tanks and just out run them, do a clip in them at long distance and then, out run them again, repeat. It's pretty ****** hard.
  3. PureSalad

A2A is a crutch, They are effective and do all the work for you, while you do pretty much nothing, but they are not dog fighting viable in a one on one situation. They are also frowned apon because it takes little to no effort to use them. That's where all the hate comes from, simply how easy they are to use and how frequent you can use them.

Your most likely not dodging or out running A2A missles your dodging G2A. A2A missles are a ***** to get off unless you know the direction they are coming from.

If you can see the missle, you can dodge it (RARELY) just by turning side ways with vertical thrust and making the missle basically pass within mere inches of your nose. This almost never works and it's almost impossible to do because people don't shoot missles at you when your not moving or from plain sight in front of you. But it is possible, Although I believe it's a bug more than actually dodging it because you must be barely moving and the fact client and server side missles are in different locations makes it quite hard to tell how far away the missle actually is.
  4. Dagonlives

I play mostly an infantryman leading a squad but occasionally I have fun on my ESF with its basic upgrades during solo time. I will admit whenever I see a liberator I will check to see if Sylas or CommanderV is flying it. If they are, I promptly turn around go somewhere else. It's just not worth getting hit by a Dalton for the 5th time.

I think i've shot them down once, but that would be because my outfit hit them with three flak MAXs that were concealed, a couple annhilators and then had two lock-on mosquitos in reserve. To be fair this was before the most recent AA buffs, so it might be easier now, but we had to actively devote 8 people to kill those two.

Liberator pilots like those guys are the reason why having our infantry squads bunker down in a building away from windows and entrances and wearing at least flak armor 3 is standard doctrine.
  5. PureSalad

Nerhesi just made Sylas crash in the ground. It was quite the sight.
  6. Vilem

How about a "favorite pilot to shoot down" thread? =D

My name isn't on that list yet, but I am far from reaching my full potential. See you in the skies.
  7. Nerhesi

Hah, oh yeah you were around! You had some good kills on a bunch of VS pilots today - too bad we didn't get the chance to have a full engagement.

That was some good fighting tonight. It was interesting in that I assume he (sylas) was doing what the Lib pilots here are saying they can do to ensure they get their nose gun on me ala murder any esf. Didn't work for the first 10 seconds or so - I think a big part of my tactic is not being too far, and not being too close (if they have a gunner).

After 10 seconds, he was at 50% (I'm at full) there was an attempted "bug-out" attempt which resulted in him hitting a small hill. Granted now I do remember seeing the name Sylas a lot. I'm old - sorry, sometimes I need to see the name in PS2 to suddenly realise "hey I have encountered that guy a lot".

People that I would like to encounter a lot more in controlled situations as to improve my skillset:

Jaede - generally done very well against him but not enough encounters
    Sylas - as above
    A couple of terran guys or maybe it is one terran guy.. it's like MCP232 or TCP2 or... man, get simple names people.
  8. Ayabe

I'm nowhere near .62, and it still comes down to numbers and who gets the jump on who 90% of the time. I didn't say "No skill in a one vs one dogfight" but it matters a whole hell of a lot less than you "special flowers" seem to believe.

But trying to undercut someone's argument by trying to (especially incorrectly) ding them for KDR is pretty weak, especially from some "elite" flyboy.

Sorry I dulled the polish on your ego.
  9. Kahynd

Thanks PureSalad, that makes a lot of sense cuz even tho I dodge a lot of lock on missiles the ones I fire tend to always hit(I haven't been using them much tho only when I want to scare someone off of a friendly gal or lib or i'm in a 1v2 situation). I swapped over to using rocket pods last night for awhile and I liked it they were fun to use. Only thing is while using them I might want to look at swapping the Mustang AH for the standard primary.
  10. PureSalad

Your no Strikervulsine. He's my favorite pilot to shoot at, he fills my chat up real quick with whining. I am waiting for you Vilem.

I actually quoted you, then re-quoted incorrectly because I was on my phone. I don't remember putting someones KDR in my message, honestly. Must of been half asleep or just coming in from the 4 degree weather outside, either way I'm sorry. Especially since it's not even your KDR......don't know what I was thinking. It was a low blow that was incorrect.

Okay but back to your statement. The person getting the jump on the other guy is not 90% of the time, in fact it's hardly a huge factor unless you completely derp and they put a whole 3/4 to a full clip into you before you react. Everyone on the list does not allow this to happen often. If you really think skill in a one vs one dogfight doesn't reflect to big battles your sadly mistaken.

If you can take on single targets quickly and effectively in one on one situations, hopping in the middle of a big air battle is even easier. Granted your chances of living are less because of all the Lock on missles, and chances people are going to gang up on you, but regardless most the time pilots are already on a target and you get free kills and if someone is on your tail, your already deadly in a one on one encounter so losing them or killing them out right is not that hard.

I hopped into a large battle on Indar looking for MissFrenzy last night. Killed 4 mosquitos and a lib, then died to crashing into the big *** bridge near that crater of a base close to TR warpgate. My ego really has nothing to do with it, maybe it's your ego or flying ability thats inadequate to begin with.
  11. Ayabe

First apology accepted.

Second, perhaps I need to better explain what I meant.

My perception(right or wrong) is that a lot of pilots seem to feel the reverse maneuver is the great separator between good and ok/bad pilots. I don't accept that simply because in my experience it isn't as useful in those situations (dogfights) due to terrain, the time required to reacquire your target, having to stall where while you transition leaving you a sitting duck for a second or two, not knowing exactly which way to go, etc, etc. It's very useful when farming ground targets but that isn't what we're discussing.

To the 90% of fights come to down who gets the jump - I don't see how you don't agree with this. The TTK is simply too low most of the time, even if you get 1/4 of a mag in that's enough of an advantage to take down a pilot of equal or even higher skill the majority of the time. A decent pilot isn't going to let you turn on him and it doesn't take a lot to be decent, just mapping pitch up/down to your mouse buttons and possessing a triple digit IQ will get you partially there. Many ESF pilots aren't even at that level.

Now if situational awareness wasn't such a joke in this game I would totally be on your side, because there wouldn't be an artificial skillcap in place as there is now. But given the limited drawing distance, wonky minimap, extremely limited FOV, extremely limited HUD, and low TTK a "just ok" player can nullify huge skill gaps because he saw you first.

If some of these other problems were addressed then I think you all would truly shine as you would be fully utilizing all of these tools far better than an average player.
  12. KidApathy

Hey guys... I appreciate the consideration I am the first to admit I am a HORRIBLE pilot and should never be in contention for this..

I'd like to nominate Jedae as best dog-fighter on Terrand Republic Jaeger.

I'd also like to thank Codeak & Jedae for flying for me in the lib, they are hands down the two best pilots I have had the fortune of gunning for. They should be considered best Lib pilots on the server as well.

To the guy who had it right, I play heavy assault almost exclusively and like to liberate my people ;) It is the best farm at times so it is foolish to skip out on it... 10/27k of my kills do come from liberator. As big a portion this seems it is not even half of my total kills.. roughly 38%. To all the haters check out http://www.planetside-universe.com/character.php?stats=Cajual heavy assault is still most played.

Other notable pilots TR:
    -MissFrenzy. (the man who helped me lib pretty much for the first time and got me started) definitely top tier pilot not many who can challenge him in the air.
    -RegimeTR. Not as active as he was closer to launch so the name may not be so familiar but without a doubt top in his class @ mossy dogfighting.

Cheers from the Commissar!
  13. CommanderV

Thats what I like to hear! I always wonder if and what the enemies are saying to each other, and if they are ever like "It's CommanderV get him" or "Runnnnnn its Sylas and CommanderV" lol.

Like I was saying earlier, Sylas is a great pilot, but he doesn't tend to "Dogfight" to the extent I do. Honestly I will sometimes go out of my way to pick a fight with an enemy ESF, just because I know either I will get it, my gunner will get it, or it will fly away :p Nerhesi maybe we should dogfight sometime!
  14. Dagonlives

Next time my outfit sees you when we are in force, don't worry! We will come up with some creative ways to shoot you down.
  15. Codeak

Cajual is being modest, he is the best ESF DF I've ever seen
  16. Baconite

MC23G?
  17. Nerhesi

Probably. To be honest, I'd love to dogfight CommanderV, Cajual & Jaede more often, because while we have had run-ins, I have not been challenged in the same manner missfrenzy has. And as much as I may enjoy how that sounds considering Missfrenzy's acknowledgement of my uniqueness - I wanna be shot down, surprised, learn new things, say "aaaaahh... so that's what.. Jeez, Nerhesi, you're so dumb, should have tried X instead of Y"; that is much more fun super-air-ballet, kill random people, dive down, pop 8-10 missiles into derrier of tank, run away.

As for MC23G? Maybe - or I could be smoking crack. very few encounters but I can at least say he doesn't suck - not sure how great though :)

Granted, things just got more dangerous if I'm understanding the new main battle tank secondary weapon correctly. Basically, a weaker brother of the skyguard... lovely :) When are we getting ground vehicle seeking missiles for ESFs? (I'd highly doubt I'd use em though).

Anyways, won't be on tonight, enjoy and see you gents tomorrow.
  18. PureSalad

The air reverse maneuver alone is not a huge seperator no, I agree. Using it correctly and accurately however is a massive factor and seperator. It is completely useful in dogfights and almost always determines who wins a one on one fight. Transitioning however long it takes depends on where they are coming from, where you want to take them and which way is best to do the transition to avoid taking more damage. It really decides fights and is a huge factor in 1v1 fights and group combat.

It's not always about who gets the first shot or who see's who first. In most cases it is because of the skill difference, but to equal pilots it's not always the deciding moment. That's just when the fun starts, not the ending. Dropping 25% health is not the end of your ESF 90% of the time if you know how to deal with it. UNLESS they are basically touching your tail with their gun at the start. Then it's basically over because you let that happen and it's your fault, but that's avoidable.

Situational awareness is not about Sight or Minimap, it's all about Sound. I can hear a ESF and almost automatically know where it's at and what faction it belongs too. This is harder to do in a cramped air space, but regardless at that point you can see everyone around you. Sound is a major factor in surviving in a aircraft.

Question what is TTK? Time To Kill?
  19. PureSalad

Fix'd
  20. ltcol

VS
    RobotChicken and MittRockObama (or whatever)

all I know these two guys, whom I hate, are unkillable from a ground perspective... they dash in and bomb and if they take dmg they are gone to repair and repeat. If they dont own in dogfights I'd be shocked.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.