Slug ammo for Shotguns.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Suriakk, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Suriakk

So I read the tool-tip but ya know, they can be wrong at times. I hear it reduces damage at shorter range is this true. The tool-tip seems too good to be true, higher RoF, and accuracy at range.... hm...
  2. Pat22

It fires slower but is much more accurate at range. Damage is also indeed reduced at short range and it's harder to aim it in close quarters, like a sniper rifle.
  3. Kracken

It is accurate in my experience.
  4. {joer

This. You trade short range insta killing power for the ability to hit at mid range.

I used it quite a bit for a while, but went back to the old carbine for my LA and ENG. The shotgun only comes out for specific circumstances.
  5. Ayabe

I've heard good and bad about slugs, enough to keep me from dropping 100 certs.

I love my piston but the fact that I'm dead in any engagement beyond 4 meters is starting to wear on me, esp against HA since I'm not going to be able to charge them while they're reloading since I'll be dead long before then.
  6. CitizenSoldier

Why is this ******* **** not explained in the tool tips before people spend 100 mother ******* certs on it. For ***** sake!
  7. Dictatorfish

Regular shotgun = 6 pellets per shot, 143 damage per pellet, no damage reduction over range
    Slug shotgun = 1 pellet per shot, 429 damage per pellet, no damage reduction over range

When fired from the hip, the pellets will scatter randomly. When fired while aiming down the sight, regular shotgun pellets will still scatter randomly, but slugs will hit perfectly on target. Also, slug ammunition is very, *very* slightly decrease the rate of fire.

If you don't get it immediately, think about that for a second and it will all explain why:
    1) Slug ammo does less damage close up
    2) Slug ammo is harder to aim close up
  8. Saool

The Thanatos Shotgun is more or less my default weapon. For many weeks I was using default ammo and up close it is a beast. However at anything other than spitting distance you are dead.

For this reason I have started using slugs. Also to improve my aim and general game play. (I chose the shotgun as I was such a bad shot. It was far more forgiving).

You can tell it is not quite as lethal, but the extended range lets you win fights you would otherwise never have a chance in. I'm sticking with the slugs for now.
  9. DNSCRASH

Community College
  10. MasterCheef

i hated slugs at first until i actually learned when to use them. Shotgun sniping can be very rewarding, the only problem is that you have to be in the ideal situation to use it effectively.

Its ONLY good at medium-long range.
  11. that_darn_lurker

I use slug ammo for my Nova (semi-auto), fulling expecting to use it at medium range, but If I find myself in a CQC situation its typically a death sentence for me.

I also use slug for my Pandora (full auto). The full auto capabilities, alone, of the Pandora make it a good CQC weapon, plus the slug ammo makes me a treat at medium range too. It's a slight trade off to use the slug ammo with the Pandora, but its works for me.
  12. Joram

Slug ammo changes the shootgun to a battle rifle with low ammo pool but decent damage. You want close combat? shootgun, you want medium combat? shootgun + slug, you want both? use a carabine
    • Up x 1
  13. Isila

Slugs still kill people in two to three shots up close (depending on whether you get a headshot in there), they just require accuracy because you don't have pellet spread working for you anymore. Auto-shotgun + slugs + extended mags = Close- to mid-range mastery, if you can aim. It's what battle rifles should have been.
    • Up x 1
  14. fastdak255

15. Phaze

I use double slugs for my ScatMAX. It's the ultimate troll upgrade. Sometimes you troll your enemies, when you "snipe" them from a distance that you know must leave them shaking their heads and slamming their mouse down on the desk. And then there are times I get trolled when I am somehow missing shots at a HA that is 2m away from me... while he reloads and pumps a 2nd missle into my face. My own head shaking and mouse slamming ensues.

The reason I use it... aside from the sniping fun... is that most people tend to back/run away from MAX units AND even in Biolabs, I find I do a fair amount of fighting down hallways/etc. -- just have to remind myself that when I'm clearing a room... resist the urge to jump right on top of people.
  16. Sinist

In my experience the slugs do not work.

-What I consider the effective range of the weapon is only increased by maybe 50%. On a shotgun that is like 25 feet. So if they call that medium range LMAO.

-It will make your gun "whiff" at close range.

-The bullet animation still shows pellets being fired which messes with your aim even more. I dont know how they can call that animation a single slug.

SLUGS have been some of my most useless purchases. I keep trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and do more testing, each time I am dissapointed.

I have Auraxium medals with all the TR shotguns except one so I use shotguns quite a bit.
  17. Pat22

I suppose they thought anyone playing a shooter would know what the difference between buckshot and slug shells are?
  18. cfnz

I switched to slugs for this reason. I lose out on the point blank effectiveness of the default ammo but gain extra range as a result. It's not an ideal situation but using the shot guns with slugs has been a beneficial switch for me.

Personally I would like to see shotguns reviewed and the effective range with the default ammo increased. Just enough to make them useful in the small and medium sized buildings but keep them at a level that's competitive with the other more dedicated cqc weapons.
  19. Dictatorfish

From what I remember, that's not true: only when ADS is the slug pin point accurate. If fired from the hip, I believe the slug flies off randomly, as though you were firing a normal buckshot but only one of the pellets did any damage.
  20. Iksniljiksul

Slugs don't hit ****. They've been tweaked slightly, but they are still bugged all to hell and back again. Doesn't matter how you lead nor what part of the crosshair is over the target, slugs simply refuse to go anywhere reliable and consistent. If they decide to even hit at all, it's not going to do as much damage if all the shots had hit in the first place, so they are quite a bit less damaging at close range.