BSOD STOP x101 Need help.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Izriul, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Izriul

So, my computer is newish, around 3 months old, sadly store bought but I had no choice in the matter this time, won't go into depth as to why, I'm just throwing it out there because yes, I know, I should build my own. I have done for 16 years now so I am quite capable.

regardless, it was from PC world (Evil store)

i5-2320 3gig quad core.
    AMD HD 6670
    8GB RAM
    Windows 7.

Clean installation.
    ALL drivers up to date. Every single one except for the bios (which may or may not be :p)
    No viruses. Norton 360 firewall/AV (Yes yes, they aren't nearly as much of a CPU hog as some years ago. I like it)
    CCleaner run often.
    Windows update run 2-3 times per week.
    Nothing really on the hard drive except for Steam and a steam games (PS2 is Steam bought)

Core temps at around 39-41 idle. IIRC around 55 on high load.
    GPU temp 40 idle. 55-60 full load.

tried with GPU CCC panel sliders maxed out, after the blue screens dropped them back down to stock to see. Otherwise, nothing overclocked.

Originally only ever had this BSOD in PS2. One time not that long ago had it in some other game. PS2 Seems to kick it off far more than any other though. It would happen once every couple of weeks. Stopped for a week or two, started up again a few weeks ago and now it's done it 3 times in the last few days. Twice today within an hour of each other.

It's freezing cold outside and inside, and temps seem pretty stable anyway.

Upon checking the stop code, Microsoft put it down to drivers

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...00000101/7225385d-515a-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

Most other sites put it down to Vcore. Since it's NOT overclocked, and apparently it can happen more and more over time, and that this is a new computer (might not be good, but it's new!) it's pissing me off. Makes me regret buying it even more, but again, no choice. Nor do I think I can take back a computer for BSOD...so it feels like I am just sitting and waiting.

If I do change the Vcore, then that basically screws me over if it goes wrong I think, and they'd blame it on me.

Does anyone have any experience with this specific BSOD? Any suggestions other than raising Vcore?

Really starting to bug me now.
  2. BenYeeHua

Provide the minidump, and I will help you as I can.
  3. Izriul

I will have to later, I am a little busy today getting ready for an operation.

I did check them though and windbg couldn't read them properly, don't know if I did something wrong or not but in all of them a certain file was missing, off the top of my head I can't remember the name, will check later on. It's been many years since I've used it and I have this nagging feeling I need to point to some symbol file path or something.
  4. Izriul

5. Sliced

You can take back a computer for BSOD.
    You can not prove the BSOD unless you stand there for hours or days. Instead remember where the dumps are and that is more then enough prove that it is not working properly.

If it is Vcore but everything is on auto / stock then there is a chance that the bios needs to be updated, unless you do manual volts.
    However if you update the bios there is a very strong chance that you will void your warrenty.
  6. Hydragarium

I'd love to see you try and argue that anywhere - basic consumer rights in most of the civilized world.
  7. Sliced

You bought a product that left as x y z . You then changed it to be A b c and still expect warrenty?
    They only have to repair and replace what they sold. Not what you modified.
    It's the same as you opening a GPU or PSU and still expecting a warrenty.
  8. Hydragarium

Updating a BIOS on a motherboard (correctly) does not void any kind of warranty. It is an inherent part of the hardware/software.

They only have to repair and replace what they sold. Not what you modified.

Which is the motherboard in this case - reflashing a BIOS takes about 5 seconds and is not a complicated procedure. Not for end users (amateurs) and most certainly not for "professionals" who sold you the product.

It's the same as you opening a GPU or PSU and still expecting a warrenty.

Here's the kicker - Warranty is from the manufacturer, not the re-seller. If you sell a product with certain warranty conditions (such as being able to replace coolers for GPUs or by changing the "firmware") you can't deny those rights - you can choose to send the product onward to the manufacturer for warranty (as a salesman) instead of fixing it yourself, but you cannot say to a customer who hasn't done anything that they've voided the warranty.

This also applies for companies who expect that putting small cable strips as "warrant void if seal broken" mechanics. It does not break your basic warrant rights - only any additional terms and services that you've gotten from the salesman (such as 3 day repairs or free postage back and forth as long as their additional conditions are met)

At least this is how it is in most of Europe and the US.
  9. Sliced

If you modify the bios then it is no longer the motherboard that you bought.
    There is a strong chance it is the motherboards fault for failing. If he flashes the bios they can then deny any warranty to him.
    They can, and most probably will say, "Sorry mate, as far as we are concerned you caused the problem"
    The customer can turn around and say "It was there before I flashed the bios. I flashed it to fix the problem"
    "How do I know that? As far as I'm concerned the product was working when it left shop, it has now come back with a new bios and a problem. You caused the problem now you want me to fix it"

There is also a chance that God may smite him and cause a BSOD while flashing. He could then brick he's system. You should not flash an unstable machine unless you can predict when it will next BSOD.

PC world will fix it if you ask nicely, but they are a horrible company. They will charge you a kidney and your left arm just to replace the faulty parts.
    They are all about money, and they will do anything to get out of replacing it for free.
    I bought a computer from them around 8 years ago. Needless to say I will never step foot in that shop again.
  10. teks

Flashing bios doesn't void warranty. If they tried that its not hard to file a claim. There is no logic to think that applying there own update voids warranty. Do not be afraid to flex your rights if they do jot honor their warranty. Put your intentions in writing
  11. BenYeeHua

Yes, flashing it don't void warranty, except you are flashing a mod/unlocked function of BIOS.
  12. Izriul

Well, I'm in two minds about this, I am not actually sure about what you can and can't do, I remember many years ago you couldn't even open the case without voiding it, but nowadays you can. I did read the warranty when I got it, and it states clearly that you can change the GPU inside, but that is all I saw.

The problem is, I live on an island, PC world came along and destroyed every single local shop here. Once they did that, they turned round and stopped selling gaming computers, in fact, this utterly disgustingly huge warehouse sits there with 6...SIX desktop PC's total. I bought the best one. The other problem is, I have a phobia of buying electrical goods online. Stupid, I know, but it is what it is. Previously I use to get the local shops to order me stuff, but as I said, they've either been shut down, have nothing in them or gone to console only.

The reason I bought this was because my last computer died, I couldn't find a water cooler (or ANY except some second hand fans). I ordered an artic freezer which really didn't make me feel so good, but it was fairly cheap and only one part, rather than a whole system but when I asked about them fixing it (since, they would be ordering the parts) they told me it would cost £50 to look at, plus the price of any parts and would take 3 weeks minimum, despite me telling them exactly what the problem was.

I'm coming up for an operation in a few days, and I don't want to be without a computer to take my mind off it, I don't want to take it to them to "fix" it really because how they do **** is NOT take your word for it, NOT look at event viewer, minidumps or whatever, they leave it on themselves until the problem arises, which, I've never see happen unless I'm playing PS2 or one single time on another game. So that could take weeks alone.

Anyway, I couldn't find Vcore in the Bios, though I can on my old. Things like the LLC are all set to auto though. I admit, I didn't poke around too much as something came up, but I am unsure if I should fiddle with it anyway, I don't want it to bite me in the *** and not get it fixed by them, I at least want enough evidence to show that it came like this stock rather than created by me, since, this is a common problem with overclocking (Which makes me wonder if THEY OC'd it)

Problem is, I'm not use to stock built PC's so I have no clue what is and what isn't allowed.
    ******* PC world.
  13. BenYeeHua

Ok, that enough.
    Return to topic, did you debug the minidump or Memory.dmp?
  14. Sliced

There should be a Vcore option within the bios.
    It may not be called Vcore. Check your manual (you can find it online).
    If anything goes wrong, although it shouldn't unless you use stupid values you can reset the bios.
    You can do this either by a button on the I/O shield or a jumper on the motherboard. That is if ofcourse you can't make it back into the bios to change the values again.

Like Benyeehua said, look at the dump and see what it says.
    If all the drivers are up to date then it must be a hardware problem. I would personally set all my values manually. I never trust auto.
  15. BenYeeHua

Yes, the bios will set other voltage than the default sometimes.
  16. Hydragarium

Baseline : Argue that warranty is lost all that you want - but it is not true in the least.
  17. Sliced

We are talking about the same company? PcWorld.
    A company that will give you no warranty apart from what they legally have to, even then they fight not to provide it. They sell all the extras, they don't come standard.
    He bought a prebuilt computer, so the warranty covers the computer, not the motherboard. If you tamper with it then the warranty is lost.
    Yes if he built it then each piece would have its own warranty and a bricked bios would be covered.
  18. Hydragarium

Like I said before - by all means continue believing what you will, but it is fundamentally wrong. As for companies refusing to adhere to basic warrant - that is a different matter/topic of discussion. That happens, and sometimes customers don't know any better or give up (in part due to some countries having poor customer rights assistance from stateside). But that does not change your basic rights (country/EU specifics aside of course)