Unplayable Lag Spikes

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Vilem, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Vilem

I haven't seen another thread that describes exactly what I'm getting so here it is.

When I get a lag spike, my character can still run around and do stuff but the game is unresponsive to anything I'm doing. The sound starts skipping, icons on the minimap flash all over the place, and some characters and vehicles also flash/teleport all over the place while others run in straight lines off into the distance. The lag spike lasts anywhere from 10-30 seconds and when it's over the game seems to sort of "catch up" to things I and other people did. Sometimes the game doesn't come out of the lag spike and freezes, or fps drops to 1-2 frames per second, or I get screen flashing.

Sometimes I can play for a couple hours without getting these spikes, other times I get a lag spike every few minutes which makes the game basically unplayable. These spikes started only recently, within the last week or two.

I've done everything on my end I can think of, followed all of the tech advice for opening ports, making firewall rules, turning off in-game voice, etc.

System Specs
    Intel i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    8 GB RAM
    Windows 7 64-bit Operating System
    GeForce GTX 550 Ti, Driver version 310.61 (beta driver recommended for PlanetSide 2 optimization, I've also tried the most recent driver with no change in symptoms)
    Router: 2WIRE 3600HGV (already set to wireless mode 802.11b because of compatibility with other games, and I've tried 802.11b/g with no change in symptoms)
    • Up x 1
  2. Vilem

/bump

Also forgot to mention in the original post that I've tried reinstalling both the launcher and game, and have validated game assets via the game launcher several times. And I've deleted LaunchPad.Cache.

I've tested my internet connection several times on a couple different web sites and each one had zero packet loss, low ping, and high download and upload speeds.

The problem has gotten worse over the last several days.
  3. landshark99

I'm also having this exact issue, almost like a memory leak and the game eventually locks up or something.. not sure what is going on as I was able to play pretty well until just a few days ago.

I have also tried re-installing PS2 multiple times, trying different video drivers, validated the game assists and deleted the cache..

PS2 is the only game that I have been having problems with and its just gotten worse and worse.. sometimes 5 min sometimes 10 but eventually everything will lag out and start flying around in the sky then the screen will start flashing, then skipping until finally a slide show and full freeze. The only exception is i can hear my squad talking still...

System Specs
    Intel E8400 Core Duo CPU @ 3.66GHz
    4 GB RAM
    GeForce GTX 295 - i have tried every driver from 301.xx to the latest version 310.90, some make PS2 lock up quicker than others but they all lock up under 15 min...
    1920x1200 - medium, high doesn't matter.. still happens
  4. RayDrazon

So I guess it's not just me. I also have the same problem. Sometimes, I can reconnect back from the lag spike but other times, after 3 minutes of waiting, I just get outright disconnected from the server and have to restart the client. I've been trying to find fixes for it like Leatrix, Port Forwarding, and exceptions in security programs but they all have failed so far...

Seems like you guys have the same problem too so I guess it's not on my end.

I can also still hear my squad talking when I receive the lag spike.

Help Please!!!

(When I contacted customer support, they said that it might be because my system is below minimum specs which it is but I can still play decently at around 20 fps. Now I know that it's not because of my system since you guys with above minimum specs are having the same issue as me.)
  5. Yosarian

who knows anymore man hackers own this game they can crash hex's use dev commands it's insane

6. RayDrazon

So you're saying that those hackers are the ones causing the lag issue?
  7. ScrapyardBob

Not sure whether it's a server lag issue or hackers / denial-of-service attacks.

For the past week or so, there are a lot of times where multiple people's FPS will drop to single digits (or near zero) for 30-180 seconds. Then it clears up again and everything is alright.

We were having issues on Mattherson on Sunday afternoon where the server was hitching for 2-3 seconds at a time. So you'd be flying along and it would be like you disconnected (not much happening on the screen), then the screen would suddenly catch up and you'd realize you were now 1-2 hexes away from where you thought you were. Or someone would jump in the aircraft and confirm it in Teamspeak, but you wouldn't see them as a passenger. Then 5-10 seconds later you'd see them come flying into the field of view as they got added to your aircraft.
  8. RayDrazon

That's usually what I experience but if it doesn't "catch up" within 10 seconds, it usually means I'm getting completely disconnected from the server which happens more likely than what's comfortable. Also, I play on SolTech like my signature says if that matters.
  9. Yosarian

that's what i'm saying...it's hard to tell because some bugs look like hacks and some hacks look like bugs...and since they didn't take the time to finish the game before launch...well...here we are
  10. Duvenel

Just to let you all know they were meant to have patched that hex crash bug, but I've had the error you're talking about before. It's more likely a memory leak issue, as this has been a confirmed issue but I read they were going to fix it(not sure if they have yet). I've only ever had it happen 2/3 times in the 2 months I've been playing, but it might also be an issue with your internet connection/router as the first 2 times I had this problem I closed PS2 down straight away and noticed that my router had restarted itself.
  11. Muffinz

I've been getting these lagspikes for a while now.

Pretty much done whatever on my side to try to fix this issue on my end but nothing, NOTHING ******* works. :D

Including; Formatting (Last stand on the issue since ive done previously everything else, like registry cleaning, cache cleaning etc etc).

Turned off my firewalls, opened up ports (like that would help, i thought..), disabled upnp along with the ports being opened..
    Factory reseted my router and set it up a new.

Contacted customer support, **** all that did to help.

Confirmed that all my drivers were up to date.

Switched out to new RAM.

Installed PS2 on a different drive...

What else, hmm, tested the game at work with a completely different internet connection, still the same issue.

I'm starting to really think theres something server-side when it comes to players from Iceland.

So what the hell is going on... I've never been this confused with a computer game, ever. And having to go to such extremes to fix a game on my end is absurd. It should just be; Click the Icon and play the game.

To clarify, BF3 runs fine on my system and Far Cry 3 at ultra settings.

So, any official from SOE, if you're reading this; just letting you know I've purchased alot of dem Smedbucks and I signed up for a 6 month subscription and i can't play.

The game was fine for me during beta and start of release, but on the 2nd of January, something happened.
    Those rolling restarts of getting rid of the double XP. (I have since then formatted so i can't exactly do a system restore to that date. But in all honestly it wouldnt do squat if i know my luck.)

Anyway, long post is long but I'm just sick of this bs. :)
  12. SteelDusk

I logged in today (Briggs server) only to get horrible lag spikes before the game crashed.
  13. RayDrazon

Where is the source that said that this was going to be fixed? Seeing is believing.
  14. BenYeeHua

Maybe the big patch that saying "More bug will be fix".:p
  15. Duvenel

I'll find it for you later, but it was mentioned. I'll see if I can't beat the 30 minute edit lock timer...

[IMG]

Ok here is a tweet from Higby asking for info on the mass sundy crash/dc bug. I can't seem to find where it was confirmed to have been fixed as of right now, but I think you can take my word for it for now :)

I also personally sent Higby an e-mail regarding the issue and that was on the 31st of December, and he replied with something like, I'm still currently on holiday but I wanted to get a grasp of the situation as much as possible anyway, as it's not something I want to leave till later. I'd link you the e-mail correspondence but I'd have to find that aswell :confused:

@thememoryleakthing http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/game-update-01-09-2013.77657/

They were meant to have fixed it, but either it's not quite working for everyone, this problem might not be because of a memory leak or any other myriad of reasons.
  16. SgtBarrett01

I get 30fps at the Warp Gate, but entering into combat drives it to the teens. 1-15fps.
    I reduced the shadows to 0 in the ini file and that upped the Warpgate to 50fps but combat is still lagging horrible down to between 5-20fps. I have 5 other FPS games installed on this machine and do not have this lag issue with any of my other games, just PS2.
    When I hit (Alt) F it tells me my CPU is the bottleneck... Really? 2 Processors is not enough for this game?
    BF3, Mass Effect 1 & 2, MOH, Call of Duty, Arma II... These all play fine.

This has to be a game render issue, right? The game is pushing render cycles off onto the CPU instead of the GPU, right? Is there going to be a fix for this in the next patch? It's almost unplayable. Please!!!

Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3GHz
    8 GB RAM
    GeForce GTX 570 - Driver = 9.18.13.1090 from 12/29/2012
  17. RayDrazon

You do realize that "FPS" is different from "lag" right?
  18. RayDrazon

How likely is it that the issue is on SOE's end? Seeing as all these other people have the same issue, I find it hard to be a coincidence...
  19. iNuc

This happens to me too.
    I can hear squad members talking in in-game VOIP though.
    My FPS drops to 0-1, stays like that for 1-2 minutes. After the lag stops I usually get the flickering screen bug.

Sometimes happens when I just spawned at the WG (just logged in, not got back from the battlefield).
  20. RayDrazon

This is a lag spike thread, not an FPS drop... lol