Infiltrators and the next update

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Burdman, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Burdman

Hey guys so next update scheduled for January 30th looks great! I think it will be very promising. I was just thinking of the new weapon type coming in to play - the SMG. I think it will be quite cool, but then I thought of infiltrators using the SMG's with nano-armor cloaking paired with nano-weave armor.

It could give the infiltrators an edge in many situations! Think of it, nano-weave armor and nano-cloak BOTH RANK 6. That is some pretty hefty resistance and with an SMG could make dessert out of you VERY quickly! Just something I thought I should bring to attention.

I wanted to keep it a secret for my personal gain (mwhahaha) but I thought about the community and how long I want to be playing this game, so I spilled the beans. However, I am sure many others have though of the same thing.

DISCUSS!!
  2. DeltaOne

I'm all for the Infiltrator class getting a viable close-range weapon. As it is now, they're simply mincemeat up close. As much as I love getting 200m headshots, I'd like to get my hands dirty occasionally.

Also, hacking turrets (with enemies inside) will be five times as fun now.
  3. Burdman

4. Kahlev

Get an Artemis or Nyx, put some attachments on it, and you're GTG, plus can still be a threat long-range.
  5. DukeFlash

Personally, I'd prefer Infiltrators to get some more James Bond-type gadgets than simple weaponry.
    Grappling hooks, holographic decoys (think Total Recall... the original).

Also suggested an 'X-ray' type laser designator for spotting priority targets (it's not an airstrike thing, just a designator that makes a target light up X-ray style for all allies, so you don't have to spend a minute yelling at clueless allies where that Sunderer is)
    • Up x 1
  6. fish998

You know I don't think I've ever failed to pistol kill someone I hacked out of a turret, even if they're facing me, just because they never react quick enough.
  7. GImofoJoe

Grappling hooks, now that's pretty cool for Infil
  8. GImofoJoe

I think they took shotgun away from Infil because of this, but at least SMG won't kill them as quick.
  9. cortelas1

We were promised close range weapons and got the MCG and Jackhammer. I think the SMG will be far less effective than a knife.
  10. Burdman

You guys are off topic! Im talking about having nano-weave and nano-armor both RANK 6 stealthing in and out taking out players with SMG's, it will be fun yes! but you will be close to impossible to kill. Rank 6 for both nano armor and nano weave give you lots of resistance.
  11. Bape

Now what makes you think us infiltrator will get the SMG? if we do may god help all those dam HA who gets away with 1 bar of hp from my stalker ;O.
  12. vaxx

Inf's need SMG's.

Are we sure they are going to be able to use them?
  13. Burdman

I am sure it has been said SMG's will be available for infiltrators and MAYBE all classes. Come on guys re-read my original post, this is not the stuff I want to discuss!
  14. 420YOLOSWAGMASTER

Most infiltrators are useless and snipe on some rock or hack terminals at empty bases that cant be even capped. When you need them to hack the terminals, theyre nowhere to be found. They dont need any new close range weapons, that wont change a thing. The inf players need to grow a pair and work with the existing weapons, theyre not bad.
  15. Burdman

Okay yes but how about resistance with the RANK 6 NANO WEAVE ARMOR AND NANO ARMOR CLOAK?
  16. Jkar

What infiltrators really need is the stalker cloak, a few more options in the pistol department and of course for EMP grenades to disable everything electronic for a short while, not just player shields.
    • Up x 1
  17. vaxx

Both at top rank, I still dont think they will be any tougher than a HA with shields.
  18. Talizzar

The TR SOARS is a full auto machine gun, small clip but deadly.
  19. Awesism

I don't think it will be that great, it's not like you can shoot back whilst cloaked. Nono-cloak seems like it's for running away to me.
  20. iller

SMGs being added will only make INF's comparatively weaker overall. There is no other scenario possible.
    You're only looking at the "one step Forward" and ignoring the other 2 steps back....

If they're added as a Primary weapon, then we're forced to surrender our only real "role" advantage to "OHK" camped targets at longer ranges. Meanwhile all the Medics, LA's, and HA's who were already "kings of CQC" will just equip the SMG's too and since they already have more tools than us for winning CQC's, they'll just remain the same incremental degree ahead of us and we'll just die EVEN FASTER when they spot us while we're cloaked.

If they're added as a Secondary weapon, they'll only be slightly better than the Pistol b/c you'll be able to hold down the M1 button but since every weapon in our arsenal already utilized the Semi-Auto style fire, it was consequently the entire Skill Ceiling that separated infiltrator players from everyone else in Pistol VS Pistol fight. So we've now just lost the only other tiny playstyle advantage we once had in CQC against players using the same secondary as us.

To put it in shorter terms: The Infiltrator was designed all along to have a very high "Skill Floor" that put us on par with other players who had the same performance at a much lower skill floor. But in order to take advantage of this new lower skill floor we have to sacrifice all our utility that used to make us unique, while all the other classes do not sacrifice anything for a slightly lower floor than they already had. And since we have less HP than them coupled with a Cloak that is highly visible to anyone with graphic settings above "1", we are still at a significant statistical disadvantage in CQC against anyone else using SMG's or well-upgraded LMG's.

The way to truly fix Infiltrators in CQC, would not be to add new weapons, but rather to remove the damage multiplier on all SMG/LMG headshots in CQC while greatly reducing the "Flinching" caused by rapid fire versions of these weapons ---> so that ---> we could actually use our semi-auto style weapons in CQC and stand a fair chance against Full-Auto users.
    • Up x 2