Why planetside 2 dont need SMG and what the art team should be working on instead.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Daedrick, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Daedrick

Alright, so SOE want to introduce yet another weapon type to grab some more money from us. They certainly will grab some money from us, good job SOE, but the introduction of SMG wont bring anothing to the game.

We already have shotguns for close quarter and because they are very poorly balanced almost nobody use them.

We already have carbine that are basicly SMG.

Stats are so messed up that some weapon, such as LMG fill the role of SMG. Very fast firing rate, big magazine and poor accuracy. This is the case for every other kind of weapon, carbine and assault rifle already have SMG statistiques. The NC GD-7F for exemple.

I wish guns were balanced in such a way that their statistique represent their category, but its not the case. They are simply going to introduce different skins for guns we can already have. Talking about that, right now the art team is working on those new SMG, while we have many weapons that are in fact SMG already in the game they share the same look. The guns we already have are almost identical or in most case, identical. Only few guns are actually different such as the NC GD-22 for the heavy. So, instead of fixing already broken and identical guns, they pump more broken and identical guns, and if in this case SMG actually look different, they will have almost the same statistique as the guns we already have ingame.

Meanwhile, base need a revamp, and old gun need new models. So if you want the art team to actually focus on problem we have ingame before trying to suck even more money from you, please bump and like this thread.

Thanks for reading.
    • Up x 2
  2. Daedrick

3. QuantumMechanic

Actually I'm pretty sure SMGs won't look much different.
    • Up x 3
  4. Rogueghost

SMGs will be cqc weapons for infiltrators, so they can infiltrate with weapons better then a pistol and scout rifle.
    Less rage this way then giving them back shotguns.
  5. Haruk

I get killed with the Nova quite a bit. Pretty quiet shotgun that.
  6. Flavo

What I want is the weapons we already have to be visually distinct from one another.
    • Up x 3
  7. TheBloodEagle

I'm all for more weapons but you're right, they're going to look the same, just a combination of parts from previous weapons (confirmed that this is what they do). If they're going to add new weapons, make the ones we have look more interesting and sound different at least.
    • Up x 2
  8. Process39

*Edit I take back what I said i didn't read your post all the way through. My apologies. But as an Infiltrator I still want SMG's
  9. GamerOS

I was always under the impression that a Carbine was just a Assault rifle with shorter barrel and collapsible/fold-able/removed butt-stock to make them more compact at the cost of accuracy due to the aforementioned shorter barrel.

SMGs with above average sized clips, High ROF but a quick damage drop off range sounds like a good addition to the arsenal in my personal opinion.

But I doubt the ENTIRE team at SOE is working on the SMGs, most likely just a small handfull of modellers, coders and game designers allotted to it.
  10. Littleman

I'd go so far as to say the SMGs are already done. Actually, a lot of assets are probably done, it's all about pacing content out, and if SOE needs to quickly fill a hole somewhere, slapping a few weapon pieces together - if that much - and allotting it the necessary stats has worked in the past. See: Annihilator.
  11. Vortok

Yeah, SMGs are almost certainly done. Given the patch timing there may be some testing left but they're probably completely done. You're literally asking them to go back in time and do something different.

Gun models is a good point, though. I know the Lasher shared a model with another standard gun awhile ago. Don't own one so I'm unsure if it's received a unique model or not yet. The actual base designs, like how they're laid out, isn't the art team. They make it look good but a different team figures out what goes where. That other team probably has most of the art assets they need and just need to move them around for the most part.
  12. Daedrick

Meh, if they are already done, then alright, bring them in. Infiltrator could use a close quarter weapon I guess. Im always for new weapons, as long as they are meaningful. The only thing bothering me is the fact that I want to buy other weapons than my mercenary, but it have the best stats and the other carbine look almost exactly the same.

The problem lies more into the statistique of the guns we already have. The wont fill any role any other gun doesn't already fill, and what make me angry the most, is that many of these weapons are barely used because of their poor implimentation. Not only that but the fact that they look exactly the same completly stop me from purchasing them because 7$ is definatly not worth a couple of different statistique.
  13. Nehemia

Sorry, but some of us do not have access to carbines. Think of other perspective than your own for once.
  14. Intruder313

The SMG models were leaked 1-2 days ago so yes they are ready.

A proper SMG will fire a pistol caliber round, this is generally a larger round but at lower velocities than a Carbine/Rifle.
    Real SMGs tend to be 9mm where the Carbines and Rifles of NATO are 5.56mm (Battle Rifles being 7.62mm)

I believe there's no sights for them, you possibly can't even ADS with them but I doubt that really.

I really wish I had known they were due so soon before I bought a bunch of high ROF Carbines. Ah well.
  15. Turiel =RL=

They are not grabbing money from us, because we already bought the Station Cash. They already have our money!

What they are doing is making us waste our credit for pointless weapons in the first place and then release even better weapons shortly after.
    • Up x 1
  16. Uben Qui

These are military weapons. All the Army cares, if that gun is clean and functional at all times that you are using it.

In that regard I kind of like that weapons fit the same theme and look alike. After all they are just side grades anyways. I picture those weapons the be customized for different roles, basically on the same model anyways. It is the names that throw people off. They should have went with more of a generic name, and just made model numbers more.
  17. Playful Pony

Yes please, make the current weapons more distinguishable! I don't mind them adding SMGs, thats just fine. More diverse weapons, bigger arsenal... All good stuff. I do NOT like that so many guns still look exactly the same, or the same but with a diferent magazine, or a slightly altered stock...
  18. ScarabParamit

No...those guns will be put together from parts of old guns...even half decent hobby modder from FalloutNexus could do this properly.

Also, dod you know we will have server transfer soon...but...WOALA...you will need to PAY MONEY TO CHANGE SERVER -.-
    But yeat again...thats not a big suprise for people who give up their hopes and let in sad reality to fill their minds.
  19. Zeke342

Distinguishable weapons have already been addressed.

The game can not handle too many unique models in its current state. It takes up too much memory on the users computer.

You may notice when you around large groups of people that for a split second their helmets may not render properly, usually that only happens to players with unique helmets. Imagine that if every gun were different. Render issues are currently messed up as is, and in most large battles it's possible infantry wont render until their less than 20m away lol.. if every character had a unique gun than that's just one more (or 500 more) things you have to load when rendering enemies.

It may happen in the future.. but I doubt if they will go back and remodel the current guns.
    This game is likely to have 20+ weapons of each category by the time it's life cycle is over :/ they have many more things to model... why remodel what you've already been paid for? In a business sense its not a good decision because there is not a large outcry for unique models at the moment.
  20. Flukeman62

quote="Intruder313, post: 1002146, member: 105927"]The SMG models were leaked 1-2 days ago so yes they are ready.

A proper SMG will fire a pistol caliber round, this is generally a larger round but at lower velocities than a Carbine/Rifle.
    Real SMGs tend to be 9mm where the Carbines and Rifles of NATO are 5.56mm (Battle Rifles being 7.62mm)

I believe there's no sights for them, you possibly can't even ADS with them but I doubt that really.

I really wish I had known they were due so soon before I bought a bunch of high ROF Carbines. Ah well.[/quote]
    the iron sights may be different assets that are removed when another sight is put on it.