When Submitting Camos or Decals....

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by TramellRayIsaac, Aug 19, 2013.

1. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

2. fox_news Member

how do we apply it to a character? i know how to do vehicle but i don't think the camo viewer supports characters
  3. Adolon New Member

If we're not supposed to submit an image of the camo on something, then what is the "1 Screen Shot (.JPG)" in Step 4 of the submission process supposed to be?
  4. Airdoo Member

Just the flattened camo as a jpg
  5. MasterMagnus Active Member

For one thing the wording probably came from the other games/items.

Use it to create a .jpg of your image, they are all set up to view a .jpg (not a 32 bit .tga) as thumbnails in an interface that allows them to see more easily what your submission is right away.
  6. ThrashCore Member

Understood.
  7. Anam Member

Yeah the term "screenshot" probably threw some people off.
  8. MasterMagnus Active Member

Yes in the other games it is a 'screen shot' of your item in a more staged context.

As it turns out that wording doesn't fit what works best for them to look at for camo submissions.

I feel bad as I have been a part of the 'skinning' camos for the screenshot craze. My last and all future submissions will be .jpgs of the camo itself only.
    • Like x 1
  9. Sirisian Member

This should be explained on the site. Submitted some decals yesterday and just put them on a vehicle. Also if all you need is a jpg to view you should tell one of your programmers to run them through imagemagick on the server-side to generate thumbnails. Then it would be automatic.
  10. MasterMagnus Active Member

At one level I agree, but currently everything you mention is a change that has to be made with man hours devoted to it. They are getting plenty of excellent submissions as it is. I don't think making these changes is high on the priority list. But I could be wrong.
  11. Mavix Member

I used to send the same image in jpeg but after seeing everyone here show them as screenshots then I did the same. Yeah "screenshots" did throw me off but the examples show them just as the same image.
    Lessen learned. Follow the guide more so than anyone here.
  12. zonda102 Member

I don't get it all my submissions say not visually compelling when in reality some of the camos already in the game are as dull as paper. anyone know why that is.
  13. Airdoo Member

They lack the necessary polish that is required to look good in game.
  14. zonda102 Member

that's probably because I have poor colors any idea on how to fix that
  15. CoffeeOutlaw Active Member

why should they tell the programmers to do anything, when we can just save a jpg?
  16. Sirisian Member

Well it's a very common problem and trivial to write (at least in PHP it's 3 lines of code to go from a tga to a jpg, not sure what they're using). Basically removes any chance of an error.
  17. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

or you could just deliver it the proper way...
    • Like x 2
  18. CoffeeOutlaw Active Member

I like that idea you could also get your artists there to make our art for us so we can just submit a empty file with a description of what we want! ;)
    • Like x 1
  19. Sirisian Member

Well yeah, that's the status quo. Was just suggesting it as a possible improvement for the future of player studio to simplify the process. I didn't mean to say it was unacceptable in its current implementation.
  20. SparksMKII New Member

Just a question, if one were to make an outfit decal for a TR outfit would we be required to use the TR color palette or does any color go?