What is TR?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by TramellRayIsaac, Aug 6, 2013.

1. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

2. Oheck Member

Not sure how any of these reflect the TR. I would think these photos would closer represent the VS, since everything here is sleek, and technologically advanced.

The Terran Republic (TR)

A conservative, authoritarian, collectivist nation who strive to regain contact with the home world and reunite the warring factions. Their leadership is a public oligarchy known as the Overwatch, composed of various representative officials and their associated Ministries, who regulate allotted portions of society in accordance with their own expertise and the collective will towards favorable outcomes. They believe that authority is the bastion that protects humanity and that in a truly free society, with no Big Brother to guide and watch over citizens, misery and suffering would quickly be visited to all. Furthermore, they regard the Vanu technology as dangerous and disruptive, a chaotic force threatening the stability of their righteous order, and only begrudgingly do they utilize it in warfare. Their vision of the future is one of peace restored through their benevolent rule, and humanity reunited by the reopening of the wormhole. They stand by the view that the Vanu went extinct by meddling with power on the orders of magnitude which was to be found in their artifacts and technologies, and they fear groups such as the Sovereignty will drive humanity to a similar fate, causing as much damage to reality as possible along the way.
  3. Arctorn Member

TR things are very ergonomic and streamlined. VS things tend to be more organic and extravagant, with more points and harsh edges.

A very basic comparison I can make is that NC is function over form (very basic angular shapes that get the job done), TR is a healthy balance of form and function (form-fitting but relatively spartan and conservative), and finally VS pushes form over function (extending ridges, accentuating borders, adding things that aren't necessary but look neat).

To get a better idea of this, look at what the faction is actually like and represents. TR is authoritarian, often likened to space-***** or whatever, and fairly technologically advanced; such a system would mass manufacture equipment that was cost-effective while still maintaining militaristic superiority. A contemporary example would be like the Galactic Empire from Star Wars; Stormtroopers, TIE Fighter Pilots, even Royal Guards wore very efficient, not very decorative equipment.

The Vanu Sovereignty is a group of devoted, almost fanatic religious zealots that play amongst advanced alien technology; they seek to emulate and represent their culture in their equipment, and as such produce things that are striking and memorable, things that are meant to leave an impression and spread their message. A contemporary example would be like the Covenant/Elites from Halo; while their equipment is undeniably functional, it takes excessive liberties in self-expression, especially with the equipment worn by Councilors/Honor Guards.
  4. Sarmane New Member

Really appreciate the input T-Ray, Although I won't be making anything soon, I will be thinking about picking up the tools and seeing what can happen. It's also been a very nice mind exercise to compare the three. :)
  5. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

well put... u get it
  6. phantomdestiny New Member

would this be considered TR T-Ray ? (adapting it to be a bit more modern looking , for reference they are death korp of krieg so w40k obviously sci-fi but maybe not the kind ; "You" might believe goes well with Planetside 2 art direction.)

i believed it might because it is mostly round , convenial weapons and armor while being scifi but keeping a very militaristic and organised look .

off-topic question is planetside 2 gone get cloth in the future ? if not static cloth would be fine or not sci-fi enough? (i'm trying to understand your art direction , not trying to be insulting)

[IMG][IMG]
    so is it okay Tray?
  7. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

warhammer is a bit too steampunky/ww2 to be TR. The TR are more refined than that.
  8. PanzerSG New Member

Death Korps of Krieg!

But on topic, the DKoK helmets could be a good starting point for a TR-style helmet. Just not copied wholesale. But the rest of it, armour style, uniforms, etc. can't really be considered TR.
    I don't claim to understand the lore of PS fully but if what I understand from this thread is correct, if we stick with round shapes over angular ones, it's safe?
  9. JerreyRough Member

I would love to see a TR helmet like the french special forces!

[IMG]

sauce
  10. Arctorn Member

Ntkrnl's Wraith/Spook is very similar to that.
  11. JerreyRough Member

Indeed! I look forward to seeing it in-game :3
  12. Nicococo Active Member

Its in-game now if im not mistaken o_O It looks awesome!
  13. JerreyRough Member

Oh derp, whoops! Haven't actually been playing much PS2 in a little while ha ha. Internet isn't that great where I'm at.
  14. Ethancol New Member

When I need inspiration for creating a TR helmet in future I'll remember to look out the window to the car on my drive ;)
  15. PYROxSYCO Member

those do not express the Warhammer series that well i was thinking of the Space Marine like UltraMarines or Power Armor.

[IMG]

The TR to me are Industrial BUT refined with smooth elegant edges like a Modern Sedan.
  16. PYROxSYCO Member

Can you update some of the pictures they are no longer available.