Player Studio App(PSview) beginners guide

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by EbonNebula, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Faven Active Member

Bishop, pls nag on syrah to help us clean the forum up a bit. As others have pointed out there's so much stuff that's stickied atm thats either pointless or can be easily merged into 1 thread.
  2. BlackDragonFun New Member

Hi all,

I am a complete newbie to 3D modelling and I could do with some help on following this guide.

I've texture mapped my model in Blender using Cycles Renderer and the node editor.

I never had to do additional UV channels that are specified in the guide, as far as I know, I've only done one. I'd really appreciate it if someone could guide me on how to produce these. It sounds like I should just create a copy of my existing islands, and position them like in the example so that they aren't overlapping. Is that correct? I tried this now, but I'm only using mirrored UVs and I'm completely guessing as to where the UV islands should go.

When I export the model from Blender as per the instructions in the OP, it appears really small in the PS View tool. Has something gone wrong?

I'm also getting this when I set the material on my model in PSView: "This Material requires skinning data but none is present on this shading group. you can preview the material but wont be able to export.". What does it mean?

Thanks
  3. EbonNebula Member

To add UV channels in Blender, you are going to want to go into the Data tab of the Properties window. In the UV section, you will see a list of all UV channels on a particular object. To the left of that, you will see plus and minus buttons. Clicking the plus will add a new UV channel that is a duplicate of the active UV channels. As you can probably imagine, clicking the minus button will remove the active UV channel from the object.
    [IMG]
    When you have multiple UV channels, you must select one in the properties/data/UV Maps to view or edit it. For the purposes of player studio submissions, your 2nd channel should have as few UV islands as possible, no overlapping UVs, and should be arranged somewhat in relation to the 3d geometry. The 3rd channel is intended for decal mapping, and really doesn't matter for most submissions. You can just duplicate your 2nd channel if you don't intend to apply any decals. If you need more clarification, check out this thread by Bishop.

Your exported model is probably appearing small in "PSView" because of a scale discrepancy between blender and most other 3D programs. Make sure you set the scale to 100 in the Blender export settings (This is what I use, and it works perfectly). Also, the error message you are getting means that your model is lacking UV or vertex color channels the app needs to properly render your model. The program doesn't actually need these to be set up properly(although it helps). It just needs them to be there.
  4. Faven Active Member

Dear blender gods. How are you guys dealing with tangent spaces? Atleast afaik whenever I try to export from blender into the viewer without checking tangent spaces i get really weird *** normals.

Now exporting it with tangents in the 6.1 ascii + bones doesnt seem to work. Anyone had any problem with this?

Fyi, this is what it looks like when I used the setttings posted earlier in this thread.

[IMG]
  5. DBON Member

Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question, but where do you find the skeleton?
  6. Lobstrex Member

7. gnunu Member

Was this ever fixed?
  8. Faven Active Member

afaik, nope. I havent found a solution atleast.
  9. Saraf Member

Hello,

This question has probably bin answered all ready, but I cant seem to find a solution. I have unzipped the Texture pack and started the software, but i still am getting the error messeg. what am I doing wrong ?

I am re installing the entire game on a different drive, may be it will help

[IMG]
  10. gnunu Member

Name it PlayerStudioTextures.
    It's not reading the texture files because the software can't find them, reason being that the folder is named incorrectly.
    Another issue you should be aware is upon starting the game, the files will be deleted. This is a known bug that is yet to be addressed, and so a quick fix would be to rename that folder by appending a letter or space to the folder before launching the game, reverting the folder back to its name when ready to launch PSView again.

I'm fairly certain this issue is resolved in this very thread so try and make an effort to parse through the threads before posting what may be an already resolved conflict. This keeps the discussions and forum clean. Thanks!
  11. McFluff Active Member

is there a genius out there who knows how I would begin to rig/skin my helmet in Maya? It doesn't look like I can even render the helmet without doing so...

Edit: i thiiink i figured it out. Does smoothbind work?
  12. gnunu Member

so with Maya as far as I know you can do Smooth Bind with skins your mesh to a biped(2 foot) armature. Then you would need to paint weights onto areas of the mesh where bones lie under. I believe the only difference between Maya and other software is the Smooth Bind option for convenience which automatically binds your character mesh and armature. Weight painting is standard among 3d suites. I'm actually learning how to rig in Blender momentarily so I'm going to go ahead and drop this resource here for Blender users:

http://blog.digitaltutors.com/how-to-create-your-first-character-rig-in-blender-part-1/

It's a 3-part blog entry and it's proving very useful so far.
  13. McFluff Active Member

Sweet. Now i just need to figure out detail normals...
  14. Saraf Member

15. TheHumm Member

Any one have any advice on how to fix this error?
    [IMG]
    EDIT: Never mind, I fix it.
  16. Giz Active Member

Where's the harasser FBX file it's not with Vehicle packet.
  17. Faven Active Member

its called buggy
  18. Giz Active Member

Don't see it.
    [IMG]
  19. Faven Active Member

• Like x 1
  20. Giz Active Member

Thanks Faven you're a life saver. Also DUDE! YOU'RE TAKING OVER THE PS MARKET lol