New Helmet Sketch critiques welcome!

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by Reaperop117, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Reaperop117 Member

[IMG]
    This is something i sketched out real quick.hope to get some good feedback
  2. Fuzz Active Member

im not the biggest fan of the visor but the rest is solid, excellent work :)
  3. Reaperop117 Member

ok, cool thanks, yea i was thinking of maybe making them more like "bug" eyes like the typical grey aliens, i dont think it translated well in the drawing. thanks though
  4. Reaperop117 Member

[IMG]I had some time before work this morning to get the idea started, i like the profile but the front view i dont like at all, the face part looks too much like "Shredder" I added simple material colors in Maya just to give a sense on what parts of the texture sheets ill be using once i get closer to finalizing it. I hope this peaks some interest from the community. Fuzz, thanks again.
  5. Fuzz Active Member

I now see its just perspective but i liked the trim that was in the 1st drawing tbh. It might also be an idea to use some more colour variation as it looks very purple.

front could do with some more detail as imo its kind of plain

digging the horn though
  6. Reaperop117 Member

[IMG]

Here is an update, yea Fuzz I agree, I couldnt work on it yesterday but I looked at the details and made notes of what I hated. After I blocked the main detail I went into Zbrush for about 2 hrs and reworked the face-mask area. I will look into the material variations once I start UVing and moving things into place. Thanks again I love getting feedback
  7. OmegaFatCrab New Member

I like where this is headed, the face plate is getting a lot more "insect-like" and much more aggressive. I appreciate what you're trying to do with the eyes, but they seem a bit too bulbous atm, I'm not too sure how I would solve that but making them more slim/streamlined might be the way to go. Just my two cents, keep up the good work! :)
  8. Fuzz Active Member

IMO you could keep the eyes bulbous if you joined them in the middle

I did this quick sketch but I dunno if this is too 'clean' for the aesthetic your going for https://imgur.com/a/k8Tf3
  9. Reaperop117 Member

I was inspired by praying mantis for this helmet, man that visor sketch you did I really like....damn that looks really good.
  10. Reaperop117 Member

[IMG]
    Update based on your very cool sketch-over Fuzz. The lower jaw detail and the front middle section I didnt quite get to this morning. Now that its the weekend I hope I can really dig in and spend time on this.
    • Like x 1
  11. Reaperop117 Member

[IMG] is this an error with my smoothing groups or is this the viewers rendering? still backwards engineering how to do the textures and where stuff is located
  12. Reaperop117 Member

[IMG]

Here is a snapshot from Maya to see how i set up my smoothing normals
  13. Fuzz Active Member

you mean the visor?

if a UV is under a certain size it gets those issues; so break the visor up into a few chunks (with the same scale and rotation)

like you dont need to change the mesh; just the UV layout. for more detail google PS2LS to get a tool that can rip files from the game and extract helmets with large mirrored bits (iirc my arbiter helmet is one)
  14. Reaperop117 Member

Ok, the visor tip really helped thank you, and the PS2LS is really cool, i was looking at some of the helmets and where they placed things to help understand where to put everything. I also noticed my helmet lacked some detail so i added a little more greebles. Posting an update in the next hour hopefully
  15. Reaperop117 Member

[IMG]

here is an update, any objections guys?
  16. Fuzz Active Member

wow! thats looking great!

personally I feel the back of the jaw area (that circle) feels a bit too simple and slightly squint. getting the helmet parts to connect up is always quite difficult.

also it could do with a bit of a detail pass? its great now but could really do with some small details , you can use up to 12k tris
  17. Reaperop117 Member

ok, im at 1634 faces atm. gonna add a few peices
  18. Reaperop117 Member

[IMG]

Like this area or another part?
  19. Fuzz Active Member

yeah like that but re-doing the circle bit; IMO either cut it entirely or make it look more machined, as well as making it equally circular. (grey and using the detail texture)
  20. Reaperop117 Member

Roger. Roger.