How to install PS2 Player Studio PSView Anywhere

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by JerreyRough, Jan 15, 2016.

1. JerreyRough Member

EDIT: WARNING! The PSView client is currently bugged as of July 2016. However I have an older version of the game which PSView still works on. If you want to use PSView at all you must download my client. This works on Windows 7, i'm not sure about any other version of Windows however.

Client download (10GB download size, 17GB when uncompressed): https://www.dropbox.com/s/syj2cxicw44hsqr/PlayerStudio Full Install.7z?dl=0

Steps to install:
    - Download base file.
    - Download and install 7-zip. http://www.7-zip.org/ Note: It's a great free/open source ZIP program and I use its special "7-zip" format for the client. It's got far better compression rates than a normal ZIP file.
    - Use 7-zip to unzip the files to the location of your choice (make sure it's all in a folder).

And that's it! Just run "PlayerStudio.exe" in the "PlayerStudio" folder. It should work like a charm!

END EDIT

Here's a little guide so you can install Player Studio anywhere you want! And since this installation isn't in the Planetside 2 folder the textures won't be overwritten when launching Planetside 2!

First you need to download the Planetside 2 test client, which includes the PSView program.

There are two methods. Method #1 takes a little bit of work while Method #2 requires at least 16 gigs of space. With method #2 it might be possible to place the PlayerStudio program onto a USB stick and run it on other computers (can't test this myself).

Method 1 Steps
    (requires Planetside 2 to be installed on target machine).

1. Copy the "Player Studio" folder within the "Planetside 2" folder.

[IMG]

2. Paste the folder to your new location.

3. Open your new "PlayerStudio" folder, then the "plugins" subfolder.

[IMG]

4. Open the file called "PlayerStudioPlugin.ini" using the text editor of your choice (I recommend a free program called Notepad++, but default Windows Notepad works too).

It should look like this:

[IMG]

5. The PlayerStudio program uses this file to find all the assets it needs. Since it's not in the Planetside 2 folder anymore it can't find the assets, so we've got to direct it to the right files.

Update (Jan 29/2016): This ini file has extra and unnecessary information in it. Reduce it down this before continuing:

[IMG]

Your file structure will vary, but your INI file should look something like the below image. I have mine installed via Steam:

[IMG]

...Naturally your own file structure will be different. Replace the path before "Planetside 2" with the path to your installation.

Note: I might have gotten one or two of those paths wrong, the dots and backslashes confuse me. But the program seems to work 100% with those data values.

6. Copy your PlayerStudioTextures folder into your PlayerStudio folder (like you normally would).

7. Your new PlayerStudio install location should now work! Mine does anyway, no errors on my side.

Method 2 Steps

1. Copy the "PlayerStudio", "GraphicsData", and "Resources" folders.

[IMG]

2. Paste those 3 folders into a new folder where you want the installation.

3. Place the PlayerStudioTextures folder into the new PlayerStudio folder (like you normally would).

4. And that's all! No data editing, the program should just work as-is.

I hope these help folks out! The file size of Method #2 could be reduced but I'm not sure which files PlayerStudio needs.

Jan 29/2016 Update: Reduced some of the plugin information.
    July 25, 2016 Update: Included PSView install.
    • Like x 3
  2. JerreyRough Member

Hey guys!

Unfortunately the version of PSView that comes with the PTS Client is currently bugged and doesn't work properly.

Fortunately I've got an older version of the game client that PSView still works with! So if you want a working version of PSView (that also won't break due to future updates), then I'd recommend downloading the files below!

It's also super easy to use. Just download, unzip (using 7-zip), and run it! No Windows install necessary.

Client download (10GB download size, 17GB when uncompressed): https://www.dropbox.com/s/syj2cxicw44hsqr/PlayerStudio Full Install.7z?dl=0

Steps to install:
    - Download base file.
    - Download and install 7-zip. http://www.7-zip.org/ Note: It's a great free/open source ZIP program and I use its special "7-zip" format for the client. It's got far better compression rates than a normal ZIP file.
    - Use 7-zip to unzip the files to the location of your choice (make sure it's all in a folder).

And that's it! Just run "PlayerStudio.exe" in the "PlayerStudio" folder. It should work like a charm!

Since this is a sticky I thought this would be the a good place for the info.
  3. EbonNebula Member

Hey Jerry, I just gotta say I love you on a damn near inappropriate level. I know the player studio app has been broken for at least the last 6 months. But I noticed when I recently tried to launch the PSview app, that the main game launcher completely and totally uninstalled the entire .EXE file for it.

I mean, I have full respect for the DBG staff, but SERIOUSLY, can you people PLEASE put some urgency into at least giving us a functional version of this app that doesn't need player made installers, patches, or workarounds? Not trying to sound self-important, but the Players Studio is probably legitimately funding at least one half of this game. PLEASE frickin fix these tools so that we can continue to do our thing, so that erryone makes money off of them.
  4. JerreyRough Member

Heh I appreciate the sentiment! :p

Yeah, they decided to move PSView to the PTS version of Planetside 2. In theory that's a good idea (not everyone needs PSView after all), but the PTS is specifically created for testing and breaking things. Not as a dependable source for what should be a stable program...

I really hope they put in some proper support, especially with the amount of money it makes for them.

Heck they still haven't even updated what kind of triangle-counts items use or what categories are actually currently open! Though that's because the site is hard to update AFAIK and requires special personnel. (in fact I think I'll make a thread about that topic right now).
  5. Fuzz Active Member

cheers man, your a lifesaver! Ill let you know if it works on win10 :)
  6. Syrah Developer

The Player Studio PSView tool is now no longer bundled with the PlanetSide 2 game client. It's not a bug; it's not supposed to come with it.

The new design is to deliver it with the Public Test Install. This reduces the amount of wasted downloads of the software but still makes it available to the creators fairly conveniently. Many, maybe most PlanetSide 2 creators have the test client installed too so they can see their stuff appear early and know it's coming. This also can sometimes prevent a quality control problem -- you can catch it and report it early before it goes live in the game.

To get the public test installer, go here: LINK
  7. Fuzz Active Member

the issue is though that the one bundled with PTS has been between broken and completey trashed ever since, at best swapping files and paths fixes it, but at the moment its impossible to fix and use.
  8. G1ngerBoy Member

Would you be willing to put this on Google Drive? any time I try downloading it the download fails cause of how Dropbox works
  9. Syrah Developer

Google Drive and Dropbox are blocked by the network settings of our network security folks.
  10. JerreyRough Member

Hmm. It's a massive download, I don't think I have enough space on Google Drive. I've got Dropbox Pro, thus why I have so much space to spare.

However Binary Coder was going to put up another copy on his website. Try talking to him and seeing if he's done that yet. I don't see any links on his site yet, but it could be hosted (and just have no public links yet).

He's talking about my separate PSView install, which I have hosted on my Dropbox, not asking for you guys to put files on Drive or Dropbox. Your guys current file hosting for us is great! If the PTS version of PSView worked anyway...

Edit: Also jeez, these forums might start withering away soon. Especially with folks just straight up submitting things and not getting any feedback from anyone on the forums D:
  11. G1ngerBoy Member

ok thank you. just looked on his site he has a download for a dll file which for me made player studio plain not work i will see if i can get in touch with him
  12. binarycoder Member

Sorry, working on getting it uploaded. WordPress has a hard 1gb upload limit, trying to upload it manually.
  13. G1ngerBoy Member

How has everyone downloaded this? any way I have tried to download it it fails because of how dropbox works I have even tried with rabbit.it which I believe was downloading at 990 Mbps or something and the download still failed at 2.8gb every time
  14. A7roboBOT Member

Would anyone be able to upload JUST the viewer app (PlayerStudio folder, minus the textures)? If we have any version of the game installed, we should have all the datafiles it needs already.
  15. G1ngerBoy Member

You unable to download it?
  16. d34dr00 New Member

Please update your link
  17. Syrah Developer

Link updated with directions to get on the public test server but that version is probably still bugged. We don't have an engineer free to fix it at the moment. Everyone is working on game play features or game fixes.
  18. MayhemTheFluffyUnicorn New Member

Are there any guides on how to use this software? Many thanks.
  19. Fuzz Active Member

if your doing decals you dont need psview.

load models in with the models tab. add mats with the + button in the material tab. select models and apply materials. use the inspector tab to change properties.
  20. James T New Member

When I click on open file, it only lets me open a .Playerstudio file. How do I let it open .fbx files, or how do I get the .fbx files into this viewer?