Flash cosmetic WIP

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by svertov, Jun 3, 2018.

1. svertov New Member

As my first cosmetic I chose to do the flash for its simplicity and to learn the process of making cosmetics. Please be as harsh as necessary. Keep in mind this is only like my 4th 3D model ever so I don't know much about how good the mesh itself is.

Also is it possible to make the headlights emissive only when they are turned on in-game?

Here it is on the flash, and here it is by itself in P3D.
  2. G1ngerBoy Member

Welcome to Player Studio! for your 4th model it actually looks pretty good I did see a few things that I would suggest fixing though

[IMG]
    1 and 2 are areas your faces are bending a bit weird
    3 looks like your you have a verticy that may not be connected to anything might want to look at that.

design wise what faction are you making this for? it looks cool but its hard to tell what faction its for atm.
    as for the headlights I dont know if they change the origin of the light to your mesh or not but I wanna say they would but I have no idea
  3. svertov New Member

Thanks for the feedback, I'm currently trying to redo the bottom part of the mesh and then I want to make some more adjsustments based on feedback I got from a reddit post. I didn't have any specific faction in mind when making this I was just thinking it could be neutral. I would eventually love to make faction specific stuff (including for the flash since there aren't many cosmetics available for it) but I just wanted to get some practice with the whole process up until submitting the item before I go and do more complicated things. I want to do some of the more neglected vehicles even if it doesn't sell well. I'm not really in it for the money but more so to see my stuff in game (although from what I hear it would take about a year or more for things that don't sell well to make it in game).
  4. svertov New Member

The mesh is much cleaner now and I went for different types of connectors. The headlights kind of looked like a spider's eyes so I went for a similar spider-like design. I still need to work on the mud guard. What do you guys think?
  5. svertov New Member

The new one might look too much like a guy smiling for my tastes. I think I might revise the way the front looks again.
  6. AbstractHero Member

This is much better execution, but right off the bat, I'd say WAY too many subdivisions -like 4x too many. I'm not seeing what you're doing with all that extra geometry, but IF you have plans to add more curvature to the profile CARRY ON :)
    Your edge loops are much more logical and regular, that will help in texturing and most importantly plays into how your model will look as light glints (specular-light) across it's features.
    Pay close attention not only to the overall profile/silhouette that your geometry describes, but also how, with frugal portioning and positioning of quads/triangles, you can achieve consistent 360° identifiable and striking features without wasting polycount.
    Basically, do MORE with LESS.
    As you get to refining your design from I recommend having multiple viewports at hand while modeling so that you can always have one for orthographic work (straight on view from front/side/top with no depth perspective) and another to give you a full perspective (pun intended). After pushing some vertexes around, closely examine the lighting of the object in the perspective view as you rotate it, does it still look the way you imagined it should and from all angles? Don't cheat here and only pick one flattering angle to check your work.
    Save your work often. As I'm working on an object I periodically save a duplicate of it onto a separate layer just in case I screw up the mesh, which happens often ;)

If you're working in Blender3D and looking for a good tutorial that covers all the basics you'll need:
    Blender Guru's beginner tutorials helped me a ton. It does seem like you've started applying some of the techniques that are important, so you've probably found your way to some modeling tutorials, but it's definitely worth a watch.

If you're looking for suggestions for your overall concept, I'm hardly qualified, only started on this playerstudio stuff 6 months ago. So I'll just say, it reminds me of where I started and I had to fiddle around with a lot of different ideas until I [accidentally] come across something worth fleshing out. Obviously it's much more productive when you can make a solid concept on paper and then go right to executing that idea in 3D, but that's a skill I have yet to practice ;p
    The arachnid concept ain't bad, I would just say what other people told me which was: "keep it practical and realistic looking."
    So those 'legs' attaching the fenders are a good start, but they need more work. I hope you're thinking of modeling some 'hard points' where they look like they attach instead of just penetrating into the body/fender.
    For the front hood, it definitely needs more appeal, it's kind of a blob right now. Here's something to give it a meaner look: rip the yellow edges and push the grill faces in to give it some depth and sharpness. [IMG]

I wanna say there's already a flash cosmetic with this style however...? so don't necessarily go and do exactly that. It's just a suggestion to spice up your forms.

OF COURSE YOUR FORM SHOULD FOLLOW FACTION OR NS DESIGN GUIDELINES as much as possible. I HIGHLY recommend watching Tramell Isaac's 'Inside the PlayerStudio' series. Even though T-Ray moved on and Planetside has somebody else in charge of art direction, T-Ray was very outspoken and clear about how to design for the Planetside world.

Note: As for switching the texture emissives on-and-off like headlights. Nope, We aren't allowed that kind of control :(
  7. svertov New Member

I decided to switch course and try to make cosmetics relating to the new empire specific flash weapons. So far I've only made the one for the TR flamethrower which you can see here in my gallery. Any feedback or suggestions?

For NC I'm thinking of making boxes carrying artillery shells on the back of the flash and for VS I was thinking of making some sort of battery or plasma generator also on the back of the flash.
  8. Fuzz Active Member

your gallery is private
  9. svertov New Member

Whoops my bad. Should be good now.
  10. Fuzz Active Member

looks good, a little plain though; you may want to experiment with some other little details (such as a guard over the fuel tank).

If you want it just to be an additional fuel tank it works fine though
  11. Frostiger New Member

I'm trying to make a canister similar to the fuel tank you make, but its more of a scuba tank and I'm having issues doing it mainly cause I'm still new and can't find anything to help with this :l.
  12. Lobstrex Member

What issues are you having, Frost?
  13. Frostiger New Member

https://gyazo.com/c657e31363016357bcea42c97378ceb9

I was going to send a P3D of it but this is just one example of many tries, whenever I try to make a cylinder with a round cap on top, the intersection point between them has this line that I can't really figure out how to get around, I've tried using UV Spheres and rounded cubes and different stuff but I can't really find any videos on stuff like this so I'm just kinda stuck lol.
  14. Lobstrex Member

Ah, you'll want to look into smoothing groups to solve that. Also, it might be worth starting your own thread, this one is going a little off topic
  15. Fuzz Active Member

are they seprate meshes? smoothing only works on the same mesh, so to do the shape your wanting you should

- make a sphere
    - delete the bottom half of it
    - select the verts around the area you have deleted (the circumfrence) and extrude a new ring down
  16. Frostiger New Member

Yeah, prob should make this a separate thread. Fuzz that's exactly what I did lol, I tried using a round cube, halfing, and extruding, and using a sphere, when I did it with a half sphere and a cylinder the edges didn't align for some reason. Edit: For some reason, it works now? Whatever.. I'm going to make a new thread anyways.