Example UV sets

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by PS2-Bishop, Dec 2, 2014.

1. PS2-Bishop Member

I've been processing all the items that have been submitted after the Player Studio Tool's release and have noticed some reoccurring problems. Mainly with the different UV sets.

Note: Vehicle UVs should but don't need to be as clean as Helmet UVs since there isn't as much going on.

Here's the example helmet that I modeled some time ago:

[IMG]

Here are the UV sets:

map1:
    [IMG]

map2/map3:

[IMG]

The 2/3rd channel should not have overlapping or mirroring, have as few UV islands as possible, and no stretching or distortion.

I lay my 2nd channel out in such a way that when camouflage is applied, it flows nicely across the helmet with as few seams as possible. Camouflage will definitely highlight flaws in your texile density and any distortion you might have.

Let me know if you have any questions!
    • Like x 4
  2. Arctorn Member

Pretty handy for clarification, and to help out new people who would otherwise have no idea what's good/bad.

Might want to consider throwing together an "official" startup guide, or something along those lines, with resources such as this as visual aids for new people and references for more experienced hands. There's a plethora of info spread across the various Player Studio forums, but it can be difficult to find that answer to a specific question without some serious digging. It'd also help somewhat with the sticky thread clutter as the various bits of info, like the style guides, info posts, and examples, could be condensed down into one database thread.
  3. binarycoder Member

Thanks for the clarification!

I've noticed that the details do not really show up in PSView unless you edit the "Detail Strength" property of your texture. What are the values that show in game for the Detail Strength and Detail Frequency? (They default to 0 and 20 respectively right now.)
  4. PS2-Bishop Member

They are set to whatever you set them to in the tool. I suggest playing with the strength and scale to maximize readability.
  5. Steveo Member

Why no overlapping in the 2nd one though ?
  6. PS2-Bishop Member

There's no need for it, you aren't trying to conserve space. We'd rather not have camo/detail normal mirrored across a model.
    • Like x 1
  7. binarycoder Member

I something like this acceptable? It's a blender smart UV project at 90 degrees.
    [IMG]

The islands are a bit tough with the icosphere.

Turns out this:
    http://i.imgur.com/stJNObJ.gif
  8. Lobstrex Member

^ Waaay too many island imo.
  9. CoffeeOutlaw Active Member

10. binarycoder Member

Yes, I was mostly referring to the detail normals. The map is UV2, render is the full hemlet.

Looking more closely at it, I'm noticing a few errors. I think I'll have to do it manually. Can we have a bit of stretching, like on round seams, or split everything? Should we just separate by detail type, or "color" (i.e. the different paint colors on the cylinders in the back)?
  11. CoffeeOutlaw Active Member

oh ya sorry, i forgot that 2 also is detail normals all the stuff that you dont have detail normals, or camo on can prob be packed away int a lil clump in a corner it seems, get all that clutter off your uv map
  12. PS2-Bishop Member

@binarycoder - As was said, far too many UV islands. Automatic mapping is a bad choice for game art 99% of the time. Here's a clearer example of how my UVs are laid out:

[IMG]
    This ensures that the camo and detail normals all flow across the helmet at seamlessly as possible. The little pile of UVs in the corner are only for things that don't receive tints AND detail normals (visors, emissives, etc).
    • Like x 2
  13. MasterMagnus Active Member

Totally get this now.

I had an item Declined because my UV's were done incorrectly, before having this information. Am I able to re-submit now that I know how to do it correctly (even though it was Declined instead of asking for Revisions)?
  14. PS2-Bishop Member

Yeah, feel free to resubmit.

If there's feedback along with the decline, you can make the changes and resubmit. The only time we don't want you to, is if its just declined and no reason is stated.
    • Like x 1
  15. binarycoder Member

I think this is easier than submitting, but is this about right?
    [IMG]

(Note that it's on the NC Emissive because it was a quick black texture)
  16. PS2-Bishop Member

That should probably work, but how's it look in the tool?
  17. Arctorn Member

Hey Chris, a bit off topic, but out of curiosity what's the maximum elevation/declination angles for the MBT turrets? Trying to make sure there's no clipping in the model when animated.

Also, there's no default tank tread material for the Viewer; you can pretty easily make your own custom material, but I felt it needed to be pointed out.

EDIT: Gonna tack this on as well, how far back do the animated bits of the Prowler and Vanguard recoil? Would it be okay to just eyeball the measurements and you guys do some teeny tweaks on your end?
  18. binarycoder Member

Looks pretty good in my opinion:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

(Few small changes as I was going through UVs)
  19. PS2-Bishop Member

Yeah, that's a lot better.

@ Arctorn - I'll ask around. The tank treads have their own special shader, and I've never actually needed to work with it. Let me see what the deal is with it..
  20. Arctorn Member

Cheers.