Scrub needs help making air canisters.

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by Frostiger, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Frostiger New Member

Currently trying to get gud at blender to make Planetside stuff but tutorial videos only get me so far, talked to fuzz and lobster in another thread but here's there official one. Trying to make air canisters (resembling scuba tanks) and ran into some issues. Here's a few things I got so far:

Round Cube, cut in half, extruded down: https://p3d.in/vLhs3

I just tossed it in p3d just to show what I have, but I just have a few questions, how would I take the top and extrude a cylinder, considering its a round cube with all the flat edges. I tried doing this with a UV sphere and the lighting or something had a stroke (next p3d).

https://p3d.in/3C9E8

Also, in this one I tried using some loops and scaling them inwards to make a bottom, would this be the way to go at it? It should be flat so it doesn't have that weird fan look to it, but I can't tell for sure.

Sorry if I'm not very perceptive to advice, like I said, I'm a scrub at this stuff lol.
  2. Fuzz Active Member

The issue in P3D is because your normals are facing the wrong direction.

To make a bottom just select all the verts around the edge and then use a fill command (in blender it is F); although this produces Ngons so youll have to triangulate them.

Also thanks to smooth shading you really dont need so many tris; I normally use 8/10/12 for the ring in cylinders.

If your very new to 3D id suggest doing some quick tutorials from youtube and some non PS2 projects just to get a solid grasp of topology and 3D basics
  3. Frostiger New Member

Awesome thanks for the help, yeah I'm not super new I just forgot a lot of stuff over the summer, spent my time on classes so I didn't use Blender at all lol, just getting back into some old PS2 projects I was working on.
  4. svertov New Member

I just happened to make a gas tank for my cosmetic which resembles a scuba tank. Here it is if you want an idea of how you could do it. Use a cylinder and then bevel the ends with Ctrl+B. Then you have a nice circle at the end which you can extrude.
  5. svertov New Member

Oh also while you are bevelling, scroll the mouse wheel to add more edge loops and make it smoother. I'm a noob too but what really helped me get started was just watching a bunch of videos (not just tutorials but videos of people making cool stuff) to learn what tools and shortcuts are available in Blender. It's a bit boring but it makes your life much easier if you know what this and that does.
  6. Frostiger New Member

I've done a bit more with my thing and here is what I got so far, I have a background image of a NOS canister cause that's generally what I'm going for here, I just need to flatten part of the top cylinder and make a small valve extruding from the flat surface, which is what I'm kinda trying to figure out right now. Thanks for the help c:
  7. svertov New Member

Remember to set shading to smooth. Look up a tutorial on smooth and sharp edges. And don't forget that you can use multiple objects. The entire thing does not have to be one mesh. I made my valve using 3 separate meshes.
  8. Lobstrex Member

Just thought I'd mention to watch your polycounts. You'll want to stay under around 3k for vehicle cosmetics.
  9. Frostiger New Member

Hey guys, I'm sorta finishing up, classes started back up and I only have a little time to do work on projects, anyways, here's what I got. https://p3d.in/wGkFt The top is not complete cause I'm figuring out what to put up there but is there anything I should fix as of now?