Tangibility

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: EverQuest and EverQuest II' started by Eanelder, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Eanelder New Member

Just curious if designers can dictate the tangibility of an item when it goes into game? IE will players be able to pass through the item (ex a placed Bulwark of Many Portals [EQ1]).

Im curious if its possible to make items like doors, walls, bushes, booksheleves etc that can block doors visually, but still provide access to what lies behind.

Ideally this would be a property that the user could set when placing any item, but Im wondering if designers have the option to request / set it as such.
  2. Panatellen Administrator

There are many different data types/structures within EQ that offer a variety of functionality in game. With housing items, such as those created by Player Studio contributors, there is no item type that allows for the opening of doors or triggering an event based on player input. Very simple motions that loop are possible, but they are not interactive.

Hope that helps.
  3. Eanelder New Member

Sorry I may have been unclear. I'm NOT looking for animations like opening doors, or making draw bridges go up or down.

I'm talking asking the ability to make an object intangible, so visually it appears like any object, but a player could walk thru or pass thru the object as if it wasn't . Much like the many false walls in early EQ.

For example, Bulwark of Many Portals in EQ1 is an item that when placed is visible and appears solid, but a player can walk through it as if it were intangible.
  4. Panatellen Administrator

Gotcha. Such functionality can be "baked" into environment objects using non-collision data types. But the EverQuest engine does not support such functionality with housing item data types referred to as ActorTags. Sorry 'bout that.
  5. Eanelder New Member

:( Thats a shame. I figured that since there were at least a few examples of such intangible placeable items ( Bulwark of Many Portals) that it was just an item flag that could be turned on or off.
  6. Panatellen Administrator

I believe this is the first time something like this has come up. Let me do a little research.
  7. Eanelder New Member

Just so there is no confusion here is a pic explaining what I mean.

[IMG]

http://i61.tinypic.com/24l52rr.jpg

You will see that my character is able to pass thru 3 of the 4 shields, while the 4th wont.

the 3 Shields that are intangible are:
    • elaborate defiant aegis (top left)
    • bulwark of many portals (top right)
    • elegant defiant round shield (bottom left)
  8. Panatellen Administrator

We'll review the collision code tomorrow, but so far the answer has been no. What you're seeing on those older shields is possibly a bug. Stay tuned.
  9. Eanelder New Member

Have to admit I'm a little concerned, my intent was to add more "intangible" items, not remove existing ones. I fear for my character if these items are "fixed" because they are considered a bug :(
  10. Syrah Developer

Question: Let's say we add the option of making something intangible. Now put yourself in the position of a player who is shopping in the marketplace.

How do we tell this person that the item they are looking at will behave differently than other items in the game. It's intangible. This is important enough to be included in their purchase decision.

What would you recommend?
  11. MasterMagnus Active Member

What about something like 'Walk-through' or 'Pass-through', as a more easily understood way to address this?

Clearly the main purpose would be secret/trap doors so something like:
    Pass-through Secret Wall section
    Walk-through Secret Bookcase

Or maybe instead of 'Secret' something like 'Hidden entrance'?
  12. Eanelder New Member

I think the ideal solution would be to set the tangibility on items in game while placing it. So much like how the system remembers a placed item's heading, roll, pitch and coordinates, it would also remember its tangibility flag. This way ANY item's tangibility could be turned on or off, but I'm going to assume this is currently a code limitation.

As an alternative, I like MasterMagnus' suggestion of prefixing an item of this type's name with the SAME descriptor like 'Pass-through', 'Walk-through', 'Intangible ' or 'Incorporeal'. Would also make searching for them easier but at the very least it could be identified as such in the description. Only problem then is your adding a bit of bloat to the marketplace if your adding an intangible version of every wall section, building block, etc.
    • Like x 1
  13. Eanelder New Member

3 years later, I'm curious if "Tangibility" is something well ever see in housing / marketplace items in EQI?

(yes I know where not seeing any marketplace items as it is)