VS ODH-47 Helmet

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by Slytacular, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Slytacular Member

I've been playing a lot of Planetside 2 lately, and I was wondering if Daybreak is still up for submisions. I'm open for suggestions and critique if anybody still lurks around here. My inspirations for the helmet should be obvious! What is the limit on tris/polys/faces by the way?

https://skfb.ly/6pu8T

Orbital Drop Helmet, class 47. Designed for high speed environment and dynamic air flow. Rebreather feature in the rear of helmet for surviving the vacuum of space and other non-breathable harmful environments, as well as a regulated pressure system for surviving water depths as far as 800m below surface.
  2. Fuzz Active Member

yep its still open

http://binarycoder.info/player-studio-guide/

as for your design if you havent drawn it out first start with that; youll want it to be the same sorta detail as the current helms in game and take your time making sure its perfect :) (also try to follow shape language and flow)
  3. Slytacular Member

I am horrible at concept drawing that it's actually easier for me to create a model in 3d to then draw from. Yeah, I try to pay attention to shape flow, but there are a few hiccups from experimenting with different shapes. This is probably my third time trying to make something sci-fi.
  4. Fuzz Active Member

like its a good attempt but honestly i cant stress enough how much doodles can help :)

like its really easy to get your base shape working in 3d but for details or shape work its super easy to redefine in 2d, if you look back to when this fourm was busier the thing all of us wanted was Tray to scribble over our models in MS paint!
    that being said if you dont want to you dont have to but it does take a lot longer as its harder to rework a mesh than a ms paint file
  5. CountPoly Member

Fuzz is right. But I would encourage you to get into sculpting, it's the best of both worlds. It's like doodling in 3D AND you can totally use the geometry as reference when creating the final model.
  6. Slytacular Member

https://skfb.ly/6pu8T

Another update on the helmet. Would like to make the helmet mostly mirror in look.
  7. Fuzz Active Member

right this is gonna sound super harsh, and I really dont want to be mean, remember that we all started out new so it is unreasonable to expect you to make top tier stuff to start. (and heck the rest of the stuff on your sketchfab profile is pretty good!)

again i really cant just repeat the advice ive given twice above, but at least try to draw it first; it would definetly help with the issues im going to outline below. and heck you dont need to be good at art, just a rough drawing to get shape ideas. beacause if you make it up as you go along you often just design at to whats easy to make with the current geo (like say the insets on your guys brow).

so this isnt me trying to be a dick, Im just giving my honest opinion on areas that you need to improve on,

- Aesthetics, like look at your helmet then look at the VS ingame, they have lots of flowing curves and ripples, whilst your helmet is predominantly 90* angles, like theres plenty of "big visor on the front, spiked top" helmets ingame (such as the examplar) but if you look at them they still have lots of curves and vanu shape language. also the fans at the back of the helm feel more steampunk than sci-fi

- visual depth, theres a lot of large flat areas, and it all feels kinda more PS1 than PS2. try adding details, additional plates on top or even just making the sides less flat, more colours may help too.

how to improve on these with your design? like its cool that youve written a bit of lore so why not incorporate that into the design? like how about some breathing apparatus like immortan joe from mad max? or this fella from titanfall?

or make it really aerodynamic? which is a cool way to incorporate some VS flair, heres a sculpt from artstation that looks a bit like if we took your design and went wayyy VS with it

If its any help ill be uploading a timelapse of my latest helmet in a bit; it wont be to 100% but its to a reasonable stage of texturing with almost all the modelling done.
  8. Slytacular Member

Nah, don't worry about my feelings. I can appreciate harsh feedback, otherwise I wouldn't post here.

I'm pretty well past the point of needing to draw a concept for this piece. Otherwise, I would be getting the indirect hint that you find this helmet absolutely intolerable, and I would have to completely redo it?

I'm probably going to change the description on this, because this piece is more of a scuba kit than a motorcycle helmet. The idea with tubes in the back were to function as a kind of rebreather. This case, the breathing apparatus is in the back. The weird fan shape you see on them comes from floral designs I see on medieval armour. Once I get the player studio tool working, I'll be able to figure out how to get a mirror look that will help the floral design shape stand out more.

I'm not sure what you mean by lack of detail, or flat faces? The sculpt is really nice, but if you mean details by those kind of details, that stuff would be getting a bit too high poly, and would require normal maps. A lot of that detail is going to blur out when you're looking at the character from more than a meter away. I'm also more interested in the idea of trying to make something a little more human functional in design, and taking some obvious inspiration from Halo Reach. I'm not a big fan of the alien motorcycle helmet look that I see on recent sci-fi games including the reference image you sent me. In design, those look to deprive the human senses rather than enhance them. I'm also not a big fan of the Aliens versus Predator influence that seem to trend with the freelance artists as well.

I'll go ahead and try a total redo.
  9. Fuzz Active Member

I stopped halway though my latest helmet to draw over it, and deleted large portions to redo it, ive got no idea what your going for but you seem to have an idea, so sketching can give you an easier idea of how to get to where you want to be. so you dont need to re-do it just parts of it, if you want.

the mirror effect is really easy as its just a swatch, but id not worry about texturing till the mesh is at a spot your happy with, like it should be intresting to look at without textures, then texture to bring out the details :)

I know its not the best sketch but I suppose a pictures worth a thousand words, I hope this kinda explains what i mean by having more cuves and sharp bits? like its still the same helmet but it feels a lot more vanu, you dont need to do it like that, but i hope that shows how you can make it more visually intresting.

like I know it seems like a super hard shape to do, but trust me the more you work in 3d the easier it gets :)

[IMG]

oh and I posted a timelapse in another thread of my workflow if that helps at all :)
  10. Slytacular Member

Alright, I'll try giving your concept a whirl. I see what you mean by the lack of detail.