Biscuit3 TR Helmet Concepts for 2017

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by Biscuit3, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Biscuit3 Member

[IMG]A New year, a new set of concepts and ideas to try out. will be doing a few rounds between here and reddit to gather input on what is useful and what is not.

couple things i will be changing for this year:

-no more illuminated items of any kind. so say good bye to glowy flash light helmets, that phase is over.

-more belts, switches,rings, bars and clips.

- Less Vanu items, more other faction items.

here are a couple of drawing concepts for a couple of Tr helmts.

[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
  2. Ascythian Member

10 & 11 are good looking ones I must say.

2 is also good.
  3. Giz Active Member

10 or 11, hell do both
  4. Biscuit3 Member

Progress so far:

Hood Basic : [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Hood w/ Goggles:
    [IMG][IMG][IMG]

notes:

- Curious if i have make the hood basic available for all 3 empires, while have hood goggle variants empire specific.

- juggling polys around since i ran out of budget, may take some more from the cloth and top area so the band around the hood and belt is more refined. or let texturing bring the detail out.

will also do helmets number 2 and 9 with 6's goggles installed.
  5. CountPoly Member

I think you need to rework the hood. It's already an unusual hood so the cloth has to really work for it to be truly appealing. I like that it's unique though, good thinking.
  6. Biscuit3 Member

[IMG][IMG][IMG]
    found a reference for the hood, how about this?
  7. EbonNebula Member

Concept 14 is totally a Cobra Commander mask... I LOVE IT! But I think you really do need more detail than that. 11 and 12 seem like good concepts for that one, but 10 seems like it's covering up too much. it feels less like a full-face mask and accessories, and more like half a helmet wearing a skirt.

With 1-4 I like 2 and 4 the best. 3 seems too silly for combining normal military headwear with a full face helmet. You might be able to get away with it on the TR, but still seems silly to me.

For the 5-9 set, I would say 6-8 are all good. 9 seems just a bit too plain, and 5 just seems surprised to be in the running :eek: .
  8. CountPoly Member

Yeah it's better. You've gotten rid of the "pumpkin feel". If I were you I'd import the goggles as a subtool, see how it looks with the hood, make it work as a whole. An alternative technique to creating the hood would be to do a cloth simulation an then import that into Zbrush. That way you get a more natural base to work from, but it's also an additional step. Cloth is challenging for sure, but since hoods are all the rage in this game I think it would pay off to get it right. Especially if you're going to use it across factions.
  9. Biscuit3 Member

Since im Super new with Zbrush (this is my first ever piece) ill focus on the hood basic one first. Im already gonna need to figure out how to keep the quality while scaling it down to meet the 6000 budget.

ill post pictures of the back and sides tonight.
  10. CountPoly Member

Retopology. If you're not familiar with it already you should definitely look into it. Creating the low poly topology should not be too hard that way.
  11. Biscuit3 Member

12. Biscuit3 Member

13. Biscuit3 Member

14. Biscuit3 Member

I hate the goggles..cant stand looking at them anymore......
  15. Fuzz Active Member

yeah id defos stick with the tri goggles also im not sure what your doing but your UV's,textures and lighting look wonky af
  16. Biscuit3 Member

17. Biscuit3 Member

[IMG][IMG][IMG]hood with splinter cell like Goggles : https://p3d.in/1zdt8

went back to one of the earlier concepts and used 3dmax to put it together. scaled it down and changed a number of things along the way.