[Maya/Blender] Getting your blank model ready for submission (Image Heavy)

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Lobstrex, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Lobstrex Member

This guide will cover how to get your model textured, scaled and rigged ready for submitting to the lovely Devs. I'll be using primarily Maya in this tutorial, and i'll assume you have basic knowledge about how to navigate the camera and all that good stuff. I'll be posting in parts, so give me a day or two to write each post up.

Note; I'll be focusing on Tank Turrets in this guide, as it's the process I'm most familiar with. Some steps might need adjustment for different items, such as Helmets.

1) Basics
    Okay, so you'll want your 3D model in a format that is widely recognized, so I suggest .OBJ or .FBX. If you're not modelling inside of Maya, like me, you'll need to export your model (as a OBJ or FBX, depending on what your modelling program is capable of), then import it into Maya.

2) Preparing for texturing
    Right, so you've got your beautiful, plain model into Maya. Next up, we need to start texturing it. In order to do this, we'll need to create a new material with the correct texture as the colour. This is pretty easy to do, don't worry.

Along the top, hit Window > Rendering Editors > Hypershade. The following box should pop up.
    [IMG]

From here, you'll want to create a new material. So search 'Blinn' in the top left, and middle-click drag one of the Blinn materials from the list just to the right into the 'Work Area' beneath.
    [IMG]

Now you'll want to repeat this, but instead of 'Blinn', search 'File'. Grab the File material, and drop it into the work area. It'll come with a 'place2dTexture file attached to it, but you can select and delete this part. We don't need it..
    [IMG]

Next, we need to give Maya the actual texture file. So double click on 'file1', and another menu (attribute editor) should pop up on your right.
    [IMG]

Then click on the little folder icon next to 'Image Name' and navigate to your Planetside Viewer Hi-Res textures download location (check the Planetside 2 Forums for this, you'll have to download and extract those yourself). The texture you want will end in 'C', though the specific texture depends on what you're making. In this example, I'm making a Prowler Turret, so I'll grab the 'Vehicle_TR_SharedTextures_Base_Chassis_C.tga' texture. Hit open once you've got the right texture file that you need.
    [IMG]

Middle click and drag 'file1' onto 'blinn1', and select 'Color' from the drop down menu that'll appear.
    [IMG]

Once you've done that, it should look like this.
    [IMG]

Now, middle click drag the Blinn material you just created onto your actual model. Congratulations, you've just assigned your material to your model.
    [IMG]

If at first, your model still look plain grey, hit '6' to turn on textures on your viewport. Your model should look a little like this now. Not very pretty yet.
    [IMG]
    Step 3 will come later on.
    • Like x 1
  2. ruse New Member

what really needs to be done is first uv map it, then asign the texture to the material node.(all this tutorial shows)
    then in the relationship editor you connect the uvmap to the material

its a process you can't find anywhere lol
  3. ruse New Member

might i suggest using NURBS for that base?
  4. Lobstrex Member

What have NURBs got to do with this tutorial?
  5. ruse New Member

Im sorry i didnt know assigning an image file to a shader material was a tutorial

It was just some food for thought - if you want to better your image thats how you do it
    If you cant take constructive criticism then go ahaid and be a one dimensional artist
    Doesnt bother me its not my work
  6. Lobstrex Member

Jesus dude, tone back the hostility.

Yes, by definition, it is a tutorial. It's teaching something.

Why would I want to better my image? I'm just trying to helping newbies out. I'm still trying to figure out how NURBs have anything to do with this post at all.
  7. ruse New Member

I didnt mean to sound hostile
    More or less sarcastic
    Thats the thing with typing - you cant get tone
    It was just a suggestion because your model looks really good
    But the base would have more curvature with less edges
    Just a lite suggestion
  8. KAZU New Member

Are you going to continue this tutorial?
    As a completely green newbie, this is actually really helpful. Especially when all I've seen up to this point is a blank 3d model and flat photoshop file that looks like someone made pudding out of whatever thing you were trying to make and somehow when you push them together they are supposed to work.
  9. Fuzz Active Member