NC "Wolfpack" Helmet - WIP thread

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by Ewbr, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Ewbr New Member

Alright, I promised something by Monday at the latest. Had a bit of a block near the end of last week, so this didn't get polished as much as I'd like by now. This helm is extremely wip. I'm hoping to be releasing small updates almost daily to this thread, but we'll see how the workflow goes. For now, take this:
    helm4wipUPLOAD (View in 3D)
    [IMG]
    Really, just a basic shape for now. Nothing fancy, very few defining features. Tomorrow I'll go through and make sure to sharpen up the edges that I'm looking to make look crisp. And before you say anything: yes, the backside of it looks like garbage :) Just wanted to get the main features figured out (more or less) today before I start working on smaller details and breathing life into it. Lemme know if you like the model head in the p3d or not. I use it for reference, especially when this helm is still so simple.

As far as design concepts go, there's only one thing I didn't bother putting into this draft of the helm yet: broken glass shards around the edges of the opening. My original idea for this helm came from an idea to make something wolf-themed, but it was difficult to work that into a helm while still keeping it accurate to the theme of the game. I found a helpful thread once that stated something along the lines of, "Don't make a good theme fit into an ordinary helmet. Fit the ordinary theme into a good helmet instead." I'll have to poke back through my history to find out who to credit for the phrasing, but that's the basic idea. After putting the wolf theme into the back of my mind and focusing more on a solid design first and foremost, I was able to figure out something that would work as a helmet that is appropriate for Planetside 2 and also have hints of a theme. We'll see if the idea works out in the future, but that's just how I got to this point, regardless of if it shows in the final piece.

Regardless of the wolf thing, I want this helmet to look distinctly "NC". They have gear that's blocky and tough-looking, but I find there to be a distinct lack of helmets that show age and wear. If I'm not mistaken, there's only one NC helm at the moment that has anything that is "broken" on it (the name escapes me at the moment). This helm is going to (ideally) have a facemask that's been shattered, leaving no remnants except shards of the glass around the rim of the face opening where it was mounted into the helmet. Of course, it doesn't have to be glass: maybe it's Auraxium-reinforced transparent aluminum. Take your pick :p

I've got a number of ideas for extra flavor attachments and whatnot to help give this barebones helm more character, but I'll just show you those another day instead of explaining it all here. The glass shards should be included in the next model I upload. As always, I'll be watching this thread like a hawk. I encourage any and all feedback, especially if you think this is a bad idea to even bother continuing to put any more time into it. I did plenty of research to make sure this helm concept (both what you see now and what I've got in mind) don't infringe on any copyrights or whatever and not step on anyone's toes. Call me out if need be. I've got plenty of other ideas. :)

Thanks!
  2. Shotgun Member

It's a little bit too early in the process to really give any meaningful critique, I suggest you keep posting updates, once you got a bit more meat on it we can start to see where this is heading. It sounds like you got a well thought out idea of what you want it to be in the end tho, that's always good ;)
  3. Faven Active Member

What shotgun said, will have to wait to comment to next update or so. I would be carefull of the giant-forehead-syndrome you got going there though.