Discussion in 'Guides' started by Sitala, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Sitala New Member

Hi All,

I have for the longest time wanted to create with player studio however I am a complete novice, I got as far as understanding I need player studio (provided by EQ2) and Blender.

However I am the type of person I learn better when I am watching someone do and I follow along.
    Question one... Where can I find tutoral videos of step by step guide that show how to even start the creation process? I have looked on you tube and all I am finding are people talking about the program and how great it is but not how to start.
    Question two... Is it the fact that a item is created in something like Blender 1st and then sent to the player studio?

How would I creating something like tattered or shredded material?

Sorry if this is newbtastic.
  2. Syrah Developer

Yes. You make your item in a tool like Blender.
    You apply textures.
    You review your items in the Player Studio View App.
    You take screenshots and then submit to Player Studio for consideration.
  3. Sitala New Member

Thanks for that. Is it possible to make a effect that can me walked through instead of just standing on it? Ie: water
  4. Syrah Developer

I'm not sure I understand the question. It is possible to ask the dev team to attach a particle effect or special effect to certain pieces in certain games. I've seen it done successfully in EverQuest II. In the last section of the submission form, please explain what you want.

It needs to fit the item very well.
    It needs to be an exceptionally well-crafted, desirable item.
    It needs to be an effect we can apply fairly easily -- i.e., we need to have already written all the graphics programming for it.
    It will slow down your item's journey to the marketplace as it probably needs to get scheduled in with extra dev team members.
  5. Eve Member

Jonathan Williamson from CG Cookie taught me everything I know, but now CG Cookie makes you subscribe for $23/month to access their tutorials. (If you can afford it, it's a fantastic resource, but I personally think that's a bit steep.)

You can still dredge up a few of his tutorials for free on Youtube, though. This one reviews the basic functions of modeling.

You can find tutorials on how to do just about anything in Blender, but you need to know what to look up.

-Mesh modeling in Blender
    -UV unwrapping in Blender
    -Creating textures in G.I.M.P (or Photoshop, if you have it)
    -Adding textures in Blender
    etc.

You would make it look tattered or shredded through the texture and normal maps. (If you want holes you can see through, you'd go into the texture's alpha channel and draw in black where the holes ought to be.)

Here's how to create a normal map.
    http://www.cgtextures.com/content.php?action=tutorial&name=normalmap