Overseer Helmet (TR)

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by BeastBuster, Oct 17, 2013.

1. BeastBuster Member

Hey guys, after taking a long break from modelling, I finally have some time again to crank out some stuff. I know I usually post much earlier WIPs, but with this one I had a very clear idea of what I wanted it to be so I went pretty far into the sculpt.

I wanted to do something that incorporated cloth and some elements of the alpha TR helmets. This was my first time with cloth, so hopefully any of you cloth masters can guide me if it doesn't look right.

[IMG]

Let me know what you think!
  2. Methonius Member

I think it looks good.
  3. Ambitious_Nomad Member

Looks like you got your sculpt on Beast. Only thing I am not currently too wild about is the goggle design. Overall though looking good!
  4. Puppy Member

Not too crazy on the eyes, but I like what you did with the cloth and helmet combo overall.
  5. Nicococo Active Member

This looks great, Beast! Maybe round off the back and correct the flow of the cloth. Cant wait to see more of this :)
  6. BeastBuster Member

Thanks guys!

With the eyes, I wanted to do something similar to the Spectre, but didn't want to make it too close which is why I did goggle lenses before. That said, here are a couple other designs for the eyes.

[IMG]

Do either of these work better for you guys?
    • Like x 1
  7. MaceMadunusus Member

I like the ones on the right more because theres more depth to them, and doesn't seem like theres only a tiny spot to peek through.
  8. BeastBuster Member

Alright here it is with the new eyes. Mostly just small tweaks. I worked on the back of the helmet and messed with the cloth in the back too so hopefully it has a flow that makes more sense.

[IMG]

At this point, barring any issues with the cloth, the sculpt is pretty much done. I will probably take it to low poly Sunday or early next week.
  9. Nicococo Active Member

10. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

not really TR
    the forehead plate is throwing it off curve out your shapes
  11. BeastBuster Member

Yeah, I thought the forehead was creeping into NC territory. I will round it up some and round off the jaw extensions as well.
  12. Faven Active Member

Might I be as bold and say that the cloth stuff is great. Except the chin where it looks like flabby old people skin x4 hanging down:)..but I'm terrible at cloth so that might be how it actually hangs.. just an observation
  13. McFluff Active Member

personally, it has VS NC and TR qualities, but put that aside SWEEEET
  14. BeastBuster Member

Thanks for the feedback guys! I reworked the forehead plate and rounded off the jaw extrusions. I also tweaked the chin area so maybe it won't disgust Faven anymore haha.

[IMG]
  15. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

whats with the cloth? doesnt look like it belongs
  16. BeastBuster Member

Well the concept behind this was to make a TR "ranger" helmet, kind of like a cross between full helmet and the shemagh. The cloth is really just a scarf wrapped around the helmet. I know technically it doesn't serve much of a purpose, but really neither does wearing a hood over a full helmet.

I feel like the cloth is the what makes the design stand out, but if you want it gone then I can do that.

Orrr, I could also bring the cloth up to the forehead plate and essentially have everything but the forehead plate, side arms, and eyes covered. This could possibly make the cloth feel more integrated.

Hmm... Let me know what you think. I could post up both options for you?
  17. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

a helmet to protect your head and a hood to protect you from the wind/sand/snow.. make perfect sense to me. but a scarf intertwined into a helmet... not so much
  18. BeastBuster Member

Hey T-Ray, I hope you know I wasn't being snarky or anything... I reread what I said and was worried I was coming off that way...

Anyways, here are two variations.

A:
    [IMG]

B:
    [IMG]

Do either of these work better for you? Or maybe they are different enough to be variants?
  19. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

A doesn't work. B doesn't look cold weather
    Keep it simple
  20. BeastBuster Member

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I started this before the Esamir request. As such, I never really intended for it to be cold weather. But if you think it works for the Esamir gear, then that would be pretty cool. Do you think B could work as non-cold gear?

Also, I had a thought that maybe the idea would work better without the arms on the side... Definitely sleeker like this.

[IMG]

Oh and don't mind the weird bunching up on the side, this was just a quick and dirt pic to see what it would look like without the jaw extensions.