Leader's Star Cockpit Overlay

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by MaceMadunusus, Oct 16, 2013.

1. MaceMadunusus Member

A simple cockpit overlay I did while watching a movie tonight. I have got a few more that I am working on, like the Flame one that TRay requested in my frosted overlay thread.

Based this off of the Platoon/Squad Leader icon from the game.

[IMG]

Likely going to chose the faction colors on the ESF's, they look better.

Edit: On vehicles:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. Sinist Member

There are some good Military Insignia that have stars in them, maybe you should model your stars more like Military symbols instead of stickers first graders get on their homework.

BUT that's my opinion
  3. McFluff Active Member

mabe just make the stars a little skinnier, other than that, LOVE IT
  4. MaceMadunusus Member

Its based off the platoon/squad leader icon already in the game. As seen here: [IMG]

Most military symbols with stars are just as generic. You only really get into the complex ones with medals and this is not a medal. The ones placed on aircraft and uniforms are just about the same quality, if not lesser than what you see here. On vehicles for example they're usually stars with circles, or stripes, etc behind them with some damage and paint chips added. However, I could certainly take the idea of the beveling that you see here and incorporate it into the design.
    [IMG]
  5. Sinist Member

The problem was that I didn't relate your decal as the platoon leader UI icon.

A star is not unique to Planetside so if you alter it from how it is in the game, we will relate it to some other kind of star.

My impression was that it looked like a sticker a first grader would get on their homework. It never crossed my mind it was the Platoon Leader UI icon.

If you continue with the idea you should try to change your star to look more like the one in game. Either by adusting it's size, keeping it gold, and getting rid of your interpretation of the bordering, The in game star only has two borders not three, a dark color border on the inside and the light color border on the outside. You have a dark color sandwiched in between two light colors.

The tips of the star's are also too pointed, in game they are blunted much more visually profoundly.
  6. MaceMadunusus Member

I see what you mean, I'll work on it a little more.

When scaling up the icon, the outer border part is pretty much spot on. its more the central star that is a little off as I started deviating a bit too much from the original design.
  7. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

add a couple of vertical stripes and a put a star on the lib second cockpit
  8. MaceMadunusus Member

Something like this better? The star in the center much more closely matches the star in the icon when blown up. Also added two vertical stripes as tray suggested. Will add a second star to the lib tomorrow. If this looks good to everyone, I will also smoothen out the lines a little bit to make them less polygon/uv based.

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  9. MaceMadunusus Member

Updates:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  10. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

thicker stripes,
    reduce to 3 primary colors.. RED Purple and Blue
  11. MaceMadunusus Member

Aight, can make them thicker.

A little confused on the second portion though. Each individual decal is White and their corresponding faction color or the yellow/gold from the icon. Are you saying to make the white the color of the rest of it or are you saying to remove the yellow/gold NS version entirely and make Red/Purple/Blue versions for the Galaxy/Liberator (It will require multiple submissions to do so)?
  12. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

submit a red star/stripes a blue star/stripes and a purple star/stripes for each of the vehicle cockpits.

do not submit the yellow one.
  13. MaceMadunusus Member

Gotcha!
  14. MaceMadunusus Member

[IMG]

Made all the colors and doubled the thickness of the lines.

Edit: http://gyazo.com/55c0187b56b780c501b4706b48fdc94c.png And another something i just whipped up there for the heck of it. Made it glow similarly to how PS2 does its emissive in the other materials. Likely not possible here, but may as well show it anyway since it looks good.
    • Like x 1
  15. MasterMagnus Active Member

Very sharp, excellent execution.