Update Notes - 5 May 2015 - The Big Wipe Update

Discussion in 'Update Notes and Developer Discussion' started by Domino, May 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Domino Developer

Welcome to the fresh new worlds of Landmark post-wipe!

You'll notice a lot of changes to pretty much everything, and we have a new series of achievements to help guide you through the basics, so you can feel free to hop in and explore for yourself. However, if you've been playing for a while and you're used to the way things worked before, you might want to take some time to read about what's changed and check out the details below.

Read the Wipe Q&A here, and read on for more!

Crafting and harvesting changes

Read the full details here: Upcoming crafting/harvesting changes

TL;DR summary:
    • Basic tier 1 resources are now free, you don't need to mine them at all to build with them. This includes dirt, stone, sand, ice, snow.
    • Composite items such as metal alloys and plastics are now crafted from component items (refined resources like smelted copper)
    • Crafting stations have been consolidated
    • Tree and plant harvesting have been simplified; all trees can now be chopped by all axes
    • Upgrading and salvaging have been removed
    • Item mods are no longer linked to the upgrading system and have been improved. (Some additional notes here) When you create a tool, e.g. a pick, it has a chance to get a random mod (e.g. “fast”, “biting”). You will also have "change mod" recipes for each tool type which will randomly change the mod on the tool. For example, if you have a "Heavy Hewer's Pick" and craft the "Change Mod: Hewer's Pick" recipe, it will consume your Heavy Hewer's Pick as a component and give you a new Hewer's Pick with a new mod. This may or may not be a better mod, but you can continue to re-craft the mod until you get the pick you are looking for.
    • IF you have two Hewer's Picks in your inventory, the recipe will consume the one MOST RECENTLY crafted, so if you want to keep a newer pick but mod an older one for some reason, stick the newer one in a chest.
    [IMG]
    • Heartwood, plant fiber, plant extract, and cut stone no longer exist
    • Founder’s Pickaxe can now be upgraded
    • Non unique plants are no longer harvestable; plants that can be harvested have a special effect sparkle to make them easy to identify:
    [IMG]

Achievements/Progression

Read the full details here: Upcoming achievement/progression changes

TL;DR summary:
    • You will gain your building tools as well as other useful items including starter home templates, cave sounder, and starting pulverizer via achievements
    • Recipes can now be tracked through the journal, replacing the recipe tracker
    • Recipes can be flagged for tracking in the journal or via the ‘watch’ button on the crafting stations.
    • Combat progression achievements have purple outlined cards in the journal, and reward character stats
    • Non progression achievements are for fun and give vanity rewards
    [IMG]

Continent Changes

Read the full details here: Upcoming continent changes

TL;DR summary:
    • New biomes: deciduous surface, deciduous cavern, volcanic surface, volcanic cavern. Also new flora for underwater biome.
    • Continent shapes are more varied
    • Continents are all new, and have brand new names (see below)
    • Surface caves are back, and can be claimed (surface caves only)
    • Underground cave networks are longer than previously
    • Combat NPCs no longer on the surface (except fungi)
    • Lower layer enemies are tougher
    • Caves are darker
    • More ruins have been added
    • Bedrock will now prevent you from digging too far towards the outside of the continent in directions in which there are no more caves
    [IMG]

Claim Limit Changes

Read the full details here: Upcoming claim limit changes

TL;DR summary:
    • Existing players (who played prior to the wipe update) will be granted expansion slots so they start with 2 base and 8 attachment claims exactly as they have now. (The expansion slots are inventory items you consume.)
    • New players who join Landmark after the wipe will start with 1 base and 3 attachment claims
      It will be possible to expand up to 8 base and 24 attachment claims
    [IMG]

Marketplace bundle exchanges

Read the full details here: Builders Bundles Compensation

TL;DR summary:
    • If you bought Builder's Bundles from the marketplace of common resources which will be free to place post-wipe, you'll be able to exchange them for your choice of tier 1 or 2 resources
    • This also applies to copper bundles, which is still not free to build with but has changed functionality
    • You will find a Resource Reclamation Chest in your inventory and an appropriate number of Orbs of Reclaimed Energy. Place the chest and use it as a crafting station with the orbs.
    [IMG]

(edited to add more details about tool mods)
  2. Domino Developer

(continued from above)

(Updated: added some extra detail & screenshots of props; Updated: added info about starter templates)

But wait, there's more!
    • Large humans are now available to play! Simply choose large human in the drop-down on character create.
    • Look for some new emissive props on the workbench crafting station in the light orbs category. These glow at night but do not actually shine light.
    [IMG]
    • Additional props have also been added from the new biome flora. For example:
    [IMG]
    • Materials from the new biomes are also available to build with.
    • The cooldown has been removed from teleporting to friends through the contact list, and from teleporting to claims through the gallery.
    • The Stone of Recall no longer has a cooldown.
    • You can no longer place material blocks outside claims.
    • Leyline crystals can now be found on the surface as well as in caves. Once discovered, they can be teleported to using the Local Travel option at a portal spire.
    • PlayerStudio templates can be submitted once again.
    • New characters no longer begin with starter templates filling up their templates window; instead these can be crafted for free on the forge as needed. (Accounts that already had these templates from the before will still have them.)
    • All humans, large or small, now have underwear underneath their regular outfits. (The two characters on the right are large humans.)
    [IMG]

Bug fixes
    • Friends requests should no longer time out if not answered
    • Flora have returned and look better
    • Further fixes for the flashing lines across the sky visual issue
    • Jellyfish emitter scaling has been adjusted
    • Using Ctrl-X while in fly mode should no longer also move your character downwards
    • Halas Wall Lantern can now be disassembled
    • Emitter icons have been corrected
    • Fixed memory issues that could occur if the client was open for more than an hour or two
    • Key binding for chat reply can now be changed in settings
    • Underground caves cannot be claimed (surface caves can)
    • Flames on Chandelier (intricate) should now move with the prop when prop is rotated
    • Further improvements to sensitivity of the select tool
    • The prop menu can now be closed by clicking the red X
    • The contacts menu right click options now disappears when you click off the window
    • Prop palette should no longer roll back up to the top after each prop placement
    • Zoning or opening the map no longer unhides the watch list
    • Continued performance improvements, especially around water
    • Previously you were able to encroach into a neighbour's claim boundary (the red buffer area shown on the map) by placing your main claim right beside their boundary, then placing an add-on that would place inside their buffer area. The buffer areas are now more strictly enforced and should not allow this.
    • And lots more ...
    Known issues
    aka: bugs you may notice we weren't able to fix in time for this update (obviously not a complete list, but some of the more obvious ones)
    • Landmarks of Landmark have not yet been placed, but you'll notice that there is space reserved for them beside each spire. They'll appear as time permits!
    • Particles that appear when mining or harvesting are blue, instead of the correct color
    • Using Ctrl-# to switch between hotbars is not yet working
    • The sky can change to a blueish color when you're under a layer of voxels
    • Lighting can change abruptly when you transition between biomes
    • Traveling to the spire using the Stone of Recall may send you to a 'minor' surface hub instead of the main surface spire
    • Props that are free (such as glass panes) appear greyed out in the prop palette
    • Occasionally you may need to click twice on a tree to start autoharvesting, rather than just once.
    • Occasionally you may see trees, plants, or rocks floating over a cavern entrance.
    • You can still place claims so that buffer zones overlap but you now cannot build in the overlapping area. We're discussing the best way to resolve this.
    • If you find an issue not on this list, please check if it exists in the DBG Issue Tracker (https://dgcissuetracker.com - a third party fansite) and if not, please enter the details of how to reproduce it! Your help is always appreciated! :)
  3. Domino Developer

Worlds

There will be multiple worlds (servers) as before, each of which contains the islands below. The names of the worlds have not changed (e.g. Adventure, Courage, Understanding). See map images in this thread!

List of islands by name:

Arid Thicket ......... Jungle & Desert
    Snowcapped Wilds ......... Jungle & Tundra
    Whistling Tangle ......... Jungle & Old Growth
    Forgotten Hills ......... Jungle & Deciduous
    Roaring Scars ......... Jungle & Volcanic
    Windy Barrens ......... Desert & Tundra
    Ancient Crag ......... Desert & Old Growth
    Hidden Bluffs ......... Desert & Deciduous
    Lost Caldera ......... Desert & Volcanic
    Lonely Glacier ......... Tundra & Old Growth
    Silver Shallows ......... Tundra & Deciduous
    Burning Frostlands ......... Tundra & Volcanic
    Singed Timbers ......... Deciduous & Volcanic
    Emerald Vale ......... Deciduous & Old Growth
    Sleeping Ridge ......... Old Growth & Volcanic
    Twisted Shoreline ......... Jungle & Desert
    Endless River ......... Jungle & Tundra
    Winding Creek ......... Jungle & Deciduous
    Shattered Cliffs ......... Jungle & Volcanic
    Frigid Steppes ......... Desert & Tundra
    Timeworn Dunes ......... Desert & Old Growth
    Singing Mesa ......... Desert & Deciduous
    Golden Sands ......... Desert & Volcanic
    Grand Fjord ......... Tundra & Old Growth

List of islands by biome:

Volcanic:
    Roaring Scars
    Lost Caldera
    Burning Frostlands
    Singed Timbers
    Sleeping Ridge
    Shattered Cliffs
    Golden Sands

Deciduous:
    Forgotten Hills
    Hidden Bluffs
    Silver Shallows
    Singed Timbers
    Emerald Vale
    Winding Creek
    Singing Mesa

Tundra:
    Snowcapped Wilds
    Windy Barrens
    Lonely Glacier
    Silver Shallows
    Burning Frostlands
    Endless River
    Frigid Steppes
    Grand Fjord

Desert:
    Arid Thicket
    Windy Barrens
    Ancient Crag
    Hidden Bluffs
    Lost Caldera
    Twisted Shoreline
    Frigid Steppes
    Timeworn Dunes
    Singing Mesa
    Golden Sands

Old Growth:
    Whistling Tangle
    Ancient Crag
    Lonely Glacier
    Emerald Vale
    Sleeping Ridge
    Timeworn Dunes
    Grand Fjord

Jungle:
    Arid Thicket
    Snowcapped Wilds
    Whistling Tangle
    Forgotten Hills
    Roaring Scars
    Twisted Shoreline
    Endless River
    Winding Creek
    Shattered Cliffs
  4. Piki Trailblazer

Looks like all good stuff, looking forward to checking it all out :)
  5. daGELLO Trailblazer

Woo! Large humans!
  6. Bazgrim Trailblazer

I'm... Confused?
    Otherwise it looks great.
    CataclysmEQ2 likes this.
  7. Baranth Savani Trailblazer

o_O

I am so unbelievably stoked. I had taken a break from landmark for some months (though of course keeping track of the changes) and The last few months especially I have just felt a little lost and out of my depth.
    I am so excited to start playing again when the servers come back up.
    I feel like Landmark is going back to what I always hoped it would be, which is an exploration and building game. I know a lot of folks are frustrated that some features aren't implemented yet, or that building and exploration isn't enough but for me, the game it looks like I will be logging in to when the patch is done is the game I was always hoping to play.

Great work guys, and I look forward to diving back in to Landmark full speed and experiencing the worlds anew.
  8. Lili_Birchflower Trailblazer

I think I'm going to do a complete "wipe" on my computer and re-download the entire game again. It's the only way to be sure no pesky bugs linger from any source.

The folder is already over 17gig without all these extra goodies, anyhow, and I'd rather have an absolutely fresh copy (even if it does mean waiting for hours and hours and hours to complete the load).
  9. Catavarie Trailblazer

Where's Serenity Valley? You can't take the Sky from me!
  10. Beckskana Trailblazer

Combat is getting no update at all? apart from the Combat progression achievements.
  11. Dexella Communications Manager

Clearly, you'll want Serenity Endless River. ;)
  12. jduncan Founder

Hmmm, bug fix: halas wall lantern can be disassemled. Can I make a guess as to what the next workshop race is going to be? :p
    -Falcone, Liberation
  13. jduncan Founder

How we go about combat isn't changing yet, far as I'm aware, but I do believe they are implementing some changes in the mob AI, which hopefully means combat will be at least slightly more tactical beyond "shoot from max range" or "circle strafe". Was hoping we'd get some more mob types with the update, but I'm assuming that will happen in the nearish future.
    -Falcone, Liberation
  14. Gander Trailblazer

so, if I read things correctly we have shrank from about 450 isles to only 216, based on the new listing of 24 island names, if we still have 9 servers, or has that number changed also?
  15. Tannon Trailblazer

Awesome Can't wait to get in and claim my land and play with the new stuff. HeHe
  16. Beckskana Trailblazer

Hmmmm i am quite disappointed, don't get me wrong i was not expecting massive improvements, but i was hoping for some minor tweaking as combat right now is just not fun and so easy, anything would have done haha even the weapons getting tweaks, especially the great sword did not feel that great to use, but by the looks of it is getting a new skin. all you need to do was use the bow and sword and shield sorry forgot their names and it was easy mode.
    This patch does feel like this is just for the builders though. Have to wait and see once get in game.

Back to the waiting game i suppose :D
    Zinwrath likes this.
  17. Hawkear Founder

Wow devs *claps hands*, so pumped much thanks for working hard.
    These changes were a huge task.
    Now the game can move on :)
  18. Zinwrath Trailblazer

Where are the combat patch notes. Been reading and hearing about these combat iterations but don't see them here, are the details on another thread?
    Grot, Tarmuar_TT and Beckskana like this.
  19. Uufaton Trailblazer

Since male are bare chest, do they get nipple gear? :) :p Ladies can have belly button gear.
    [IMG]
  20. Tyim Trailblazer

With breath abated
    I wait, in expectation
    of a long lost home.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.