[Claim] Sultan Ahmet Camii - Blue Mosque (continued)

Discussion in 'Player Creations & Events (Player Showcase)' started by Bomdiggety, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Bomdiggety Trailblazer

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/sultan-ahmet-camii-blue-mosque.56102/

After going 'live', the fun continues in the same location as before.
    [IMG]

The plateau slopes off to the north, so I tried mirroring the steep southern side to make it more even. You can't copy and paste natural terrain, but it's easy enough to change it to a free material so you can grab it.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I actually decided not to use this idea, but to blend a base into the existing sloping hill. Anyway, if you wanted to keep the effect you can use the heal tool on the original side, and sample the surrounding terrain and paint the mirrored side.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

I have a template of just the footprint, I used that to adjust the placement.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Since the building is symmetric, the main template is half the building. So after gathering enough materials, a quick mirror brings us back to (mostly) where we were before the last wipe.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

This build is on Liberation/Timeworn Dunes, search 'bom' in the gallery if you would like to visit. I have a workshop claim nearby, so you may see some strange shapes in the distance.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I'm still seeing some crazy voxel errors, but hey, that's what patches are for.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Still to come is continued work on the main building, blending some kind of base into the surrounding terrain, and filling the huge space underneath this thing.
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    matt3k, Mercurian, Helie and 3 others like this.
  2. CoyoteDancer Trailblazer

I love threads like this with displays of the construction process. Even quickly skimming through the images (sort of like an old-fashioned flip-book) gives a sense that a lot can be learned simply by thinking about what's on display here. Looking forward to seeing more ...
    matt3k and Bomdiggety like this.
  3. Bomdiggety Trailblazer

Here we are a month into "live". Since the March update the voxels have been bugged, making it hard to build anything because who knows if what you make will stay that way? Old templates that were fine when saved have all kinds of shadows and errors - is that they way it will be, or are they still adjusting things? :confused:

"We are still working to resolve remaining issues with using the line tool and sphere tool in delete mode, where they do not delete as cleanly as they used to."

Hmmm, that's been at the end of every update summary for 3 months. The wait continues, I guess. :(

Picking at the base I discovered this claim is infected with the "grid bug", so I took some pictures to try and show what that means. Basically if you have it, using the 'fill' tool will give a result that is shifted 1/2 voxel in 3 directions. It's easiest to see if you make a tall 1x1 selection and try to 'fill' it, the stack will be visibly shifted out of the selected area.

*However*, trying this test after the floor borked out yielded a column that was fine, so this bug is truly mysterious.

The following are pics of the steps, pretty basic stuff with a puzzling result. Hey, buddy, looks like ya got a hole in your floor.
    [IMG]

No problem I'll just highlight the area with the select tool.
    [IMG]

Normally I would just use the 'add' tool, but sometimes ya feel like a nut (sometimes ya don't). Let's try the 'fill' tool instead.
    [IMG]

Hey now, that's not right.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Worse yet from a programming perspective, after hitting 'undo' and using the add tool, everything looked fine.
    [IMG]

When's the next update? o_O
    matt3k likes this.
  4. Atmospherik Trailblazer

So is that area you are working in above ground? it looks like it. Which only confuses me more lol

I have this "grid bug" on all three of my claims. But only under the terrain.

If i use the Fill Tool above the ground it works fine. But if i delete an area of terrain and then use the Fill Tool underneath the ground the result is offset just like you described.

The last word from the devs was that this bug was "hard to reproduce". Well they're welcome to come by my claim "Atmospherik's Workshop" in the gallery and reproduce it all they want.

I won't be using the claim until you fix this bug so make yourselves at home. :(
    Zorkon likes this.
  5. Sizuma Trailblazer

From what I can tell on my own claims, this only happens, to me anyway, when I am working under the surface of procedurally generated terrain. I've tested it a few times, filling under where the original terrain was yields the bug, but moving straight above that, above ground I don't have it. So I think its only affecting where procedurally generated terrain was, but I could be wrong too.