Landmark Wipe Q&A

Discussion in 'Update Notes and Developer Discussion' started by Domino, Mar 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Domino Developer

What will be wiped, and when will the wipes happen?

We currently expect a full character and claim wipe with the upcoming pre-launch update, and another immediately prior to launch. If these plans change due to testing, we will post updates on these forums.

Will the same Landscapes (islands) be available after the wipe?

We expect to keep the existing Landscapes (formerly Islands) with their current names, and we are adding some additional continents that are much flatter. See post for details.

Do I get to keep my name?

Yes, if that character has logged in at any time after the April 2015 wipe. However, character names that have not logged in since the last wipe will be released so they can be re-used. If you want to keep your name but aren’t sure if you have played since April 2015, just make sure to log into the game before the update. [edited]

Do I get to keep my guild name?

No, guild names will not be reserved or saved during this wipe. You will need to recreate your guild after the wipe.

Will our current upkeep "accrual" be kept after the wipe?

Yes, the upkeep system is not changing and any upkeep time accrual you had before the update should remain the same after the update.

Will I lose any of the items I purchased from the Marketplace?

All items or bundles purchased on the Marketplace or their equivalent value in Lumens will be re-granted to your new character after the wipe so you can reacquire them or equivalent value items.

What are Lumens? And the Lumen Station?

Lumens are an in-game item (similar to Ether Shards, which no longer exist) that you earn as you play Landmark. You can easily earn Lumens as you play, and they cannot be traded. Lumens can be used to create items at the Lumen Station. This is a crafting station you can access via an in-game menu.

The Lumen Station offers many useful things, including resource bundles, recipes for props, outfits, and more. This includes many items that were previously sold on the Marketplace. When we do the character wipe and you create your new character, if items you had purchased from the Marketplace are now available in the Lumen Station, we will grant you enough Lumens to create them immediately. (Items that are still sold directly from the Marketplace, such as base claims and Player Studio templates, will be directly restored to you.)

For example, perhaps you had purchased a Moonstone Builder's Chest from the Marketplace prior to the wipe. Post-update, you will be able to create obtain Moonstone directly at the Lumen Station. When you create your new character, you will find you have all the Lumens needed (plus an extra bonus) to create the same amount of Moonstone. Alternately, if you no longer need Moonstone, you can use those Lumens to create something else! This should give you the options and flexibility to choose items that are the most useful to you post-wipe.

I spent Daybreak Cash to buy extra claims, or attachment claims; will I get that back?

After the update, you will have as many base claims as you had previously purchased (either as part of a founder's pack or direct purchase), and they will all be the new, much larger size (see post for details). Attached claims will be refunded as Lumens, an in-game item which can be used in the Lumen Station. We will also check how many base and attached claims you had prior to the wipe, and in any case where a customer might end up with less building space than they had purchased, we will grant an extra base claim (up to the maximum number of base claims) to ensure that everyone will always have as much or more building space after the wipe. [3/16: edited to clarify this paragraph]

What about bonus outfits obtained via Marketplace bonus boxes? Will I get those back?

You will receive Lumens which you can use to create the bonus outfits you had previously (or others) at the Lumen Station.

I purchased items on the Marketplace to give to other people. What will happen to those items after the wipe?

After the update, items purchased on the Marketplace or an equivalent value of Lumens will be re-granted to the first character created on the account that purchased the items. As is currently the case, the majority of these items can be traded, so can be given away again if you wish.

Will we have Orbs of Reclaimed Energy again?

Instead of Orbs of Reclaimed Energy, you will receive an equivalent or greater value of Lumens for Marketplace purchases made prior to the wipe (items that are automatically granted to your character, such as extra base claims, are exceptions to this). Lumens can be used at the Lumen Station to create resources, outfits, and other items, similar to the way the Orbs of Reclaimed Energy worked previously.

Will my saved templates be wiped?

No. We will not delete any of your templates that are saved in your template window, they are tied to your account, not your character. When you create a new character, the templates for that account will appear on the new character. You will be able to re-place your templates as soon as you have any materials needed.

What about templates stored as items in my inventory/chest/vault/etc?

Only templates actually in your template window will stay with your account. When you create an item from a template, and then delete it from your template, window it is no longer stored on your account, so will be deleted when your character is deleted.

Do I need to make a template of my claim(s)?

No, we’ll create an automatic template of all claims currently in the world when we bring the servers down for the wipe and the update, so you will have that template waiting for you when you log back in (each separate claim will be a separate template, even if they are an attached group).

What if I am using all of my voxel storage? Will I lose the auto-templates created of my claims?

The templates created when we do the wipe are allowed to exceed your voxel storage limits. However, you will not be able to create any new templates until you have storage space available once again.

What difference will the claim size change make to re-placing my templates?

The claim size is changing to 525x525x450 voxels in size, and attached claims no longer exist. (See post for details.) You can still place templates that exceed these measurements; anything beyond the claim boundary will simply be cut off.

Is the list of free-to-place materials changing? If so, what will be free?

Some materials that are currently free will require resources to place after the wipe. In general, most terrain materials that you see in the procedurally generated world (dirt, stone, sand) will remain free, but materials that look more “refined” will now cost resources to place. For example, plaster, stucco, and ceramic were previously free and will cost dirt to place after the update.

Will we keep the Zero anniversary, Fan Faire trophy items, competition winner trophies, Christmas sweaters, code-granted items from giveaways, etc., post wipe?

Yes, these items will be kept when you create a new character after the wipe. The only caveat is that we will not be able to guarantee which version of the Christmas sweater or Year Zero outfit you will get. For example, you will have a “Holiday 2014 Outfit” item in your inventory and, when you consume it, you’ll get one of the three possible outfits randomly. You will still be free to trade them with other people for the color you want, as before.

What happens to the content that was built in Landmark with the possibility of using in EverQuest Next?

While we cannot use these builds for EverQuest Next at this point, these amazing creations were essential in helping us to learn what was possible from the building tools and the voxel world – you managed to find ways to make the tools do far more than we ever imagined. If you had a build that was a winner of one of the workshops, you already have a trophy but will additionally be granted a title you can display on your character.

What happens to the Landmarks of Landmark?

We will not place these again until all world wipes have been completed, but once the live game launches we intend to place them near spire hubs on islands as before.
  2. Domino Developer

Helpful tips section

• Templates: You’ll receive automatically generated templates of the claims you currently have in the world. However, if you want to re-place your existing building more easily after the wipe, you may wish to template up a version of it made entirely out of common materials like dirt; that way you can place it right away before you go mining for rare resources. Some resources we intend to be free post-wipe: dark worked slate, darker worked slate, darkest worked slate, dirt.
    • Claim names: When the automatic templates are created, each claim is templated separately and will be given the name on the claim header. So it is a very good idea to go through your claim management window before the wipe and make sure every single claim on that list has a descriptive name that will tell you what it is and which others it will go with. For example, you might find it useful to name a 4-claim castle something like “Castle NorthEast”, “Castle NorthWest”, “Castle SouthEast”, and “Castle SouthWest” so you know how to assemble them again post-wipe.
    • Pioneer Island claims: Initially it will ONLY be possible to get a claim on the new Pioneer Landscapes when your character is created with a new assigned claim, so if you do pick up your claim and then change your mind, you will not be able to move back. Therefore, be very certain you definitely don’t want a claim on the Pioneer Landscapes before you move off them.
    • Do NOT delete your character again: We are doing a one-off reimbursement of Marketplace items after the character wipe, and these will appear on the FIRST character you create after the update. This is a ONE TIME grant. If you delete your character again, any items on your character will be deleted and that includes Marketplace reimbursements (including Lumens) which will not be restored a second time. (Why? Because you can purchase tradeable things with Lumens, so if you could keep deleting your character to keep buying more, that would be exploitable.)
    • Claim size: Since claim height is now limited to 450 voxels, it’s possible you may have some pre-wipe templates taller than that. Fortunately, you can paste a template that overlaps the edge of your claim; only the parts inside your claim will actually be placed. So you can still place an over-large template into the new claims, the extra height will just be cut off. However, if you expect this issue will affect you, you might want to prepare some appropriately sized templates for the size changes in advance.
    jgrotter likes this.
  3. Fredelas Well-Known Member

Once again, Daybreak has invented a way to avoid refunding any Daybreak Cash testers have spent over the past two years.

For example, it seems naive to assume that every player who purchased attached claim expansions (or bundles) will want some other item from the "Lumen Station" in exchange.

As in both of the past situations where this occurred, I'm really disappointed in Daybreak's treatment of customers. I doubt anyone would have been unhappy with a simple refund of the Daybreak Cash they spent.
    TruthFairy, Pumarah, Andesine and 3 others like this.
  4. Ayrid Trailblazer

Hi Domino - Thanks for the FAQ. One question I have is do Founders have a head-start at the actual game launch?
  5. ManInLevis Trailblazer

What will happen to the materials we have harvested since the last wipe? Back then Daybreak told us we would retain everything we harvested into and beyond launch. Is Daybreak sticking by this or backtracking? After all it is not the consumers fault that so much time has passed between updates I would not expect the consumers to be penalized for Daybreak's inaction in completing this game in a timely fashion.
    twistedsoul likes this.
  6. Mandible Founder

Lumens can be abbreviated as LM. Clever. :D
  7. Ayrid Trailblazer

You are correct - we were told there would not be anymore character wipes after last Mays big wipe and we would hold our harvested stuff. But it sounds like they have to do a total wipe.
  8. Broadhead Founder

Thank you Domino, this is good info. My only question is, as Ayrid asks above, about the possibility of headstarts for founders, etc, come launch. :)
  9. Fredelas Well-Known Member

If I gifted someone else base claim expansions, who gets those base claims after the wipe? Me (for having purchased it), or the other player (for having used it)?

If it's the person who uses it, what happens if someone has unused base claim expansions in their inventory?

If it's the person who purchased it, what happens if someone purchased more than 8 of them?
    Numbiki likes this.
  10. ManInLevis Trailblazer

The only reason I upgraded to a trailblazer pack was for the head start. It was a main component of that package, I cant see them getting around that. Plus it is as of this moment still part of the trailblazer package being sold on steam.
  11. Dyfydd Trailblazer

Domino, I'd really like to know one thing: Is it possible that at some point in the future we'll get a version of attached claims back (or some other means of extending the height of our claims)? I understand that it may not happen for some time and that you can't give any kind of estimate on when such a thing would happen. But I feel that it's quite a restriction on how we build things, and I would like to at least have some hope of eventually being able to build taller than 450 voxels. If it's not something that will ever happen, I'd rather know now rather than hold out false hope for the future.
  12. Lili_Birchflower Trailblazer

Thank you for the update on the update.

"Lumens" now instead of ether shards. Lovely.

Will there be any actual crafting left, or will we be expected to purchase stuff from the cash shop?

Will we be able to craft from our own stations, or is this all moving to "lumen stations"?

With the character wipe, everything we've crafted will be gone, as well, true?

Larger claim sizes are nice, sure, but too bad if we built higher than what is now considered allowable? Seriously?

Is the limit inclusive of underground building, as well?

Sorry, I may just sit this one out until you guys decide what the heck you're going to do. Seems like you're doing what you've done for the last year plus - throw out changes for the sake of change and then act naively hurt when the play testers finally end up raging and leaving after you don't listen to their feedback about the changes causing difficulty/not making sense/etc.
  13. MasterMagnus Trailblazer

The 'Head Start' was into Open Beta.

Since they are going right to launch No Head Start?
  14. Domino Developer

The rewards for founder's packs are outlined on the web site and remain unchanged, so yes, Trailblazer level founders get a head start at launch. https://www.landmarkthegame.com/founders-pack
    Dwarven Priest and Broadhead like this.
  15. jduncan Founder

Are the islands getting redone and just keeping the names or they all staying the same with just the added new ones?
  16. Arywinn Trailblazer

Does some one have the video if Terry telling us that we would not get a complete wipe that we would get to keep anything that we had harvested from the last point on. I am sorry this is frustrating that I have gone out busted my fanning farming yet again to get back to my original supplies amount and now your telling me you are doing it to me again. If I would have known this from the start I would have not spent weeks farming.
  17. Ayrid Trailblazer

Thanks Domino for the fast response.
  18. Grumbles Trailblazer

It was always stated that they do not PLAN to have another character wipe, but that things could change according to circumstances and need. Looks like circumstances and need won out.

No biggie - many of us somewhat expected many more wipes than we have actually experienced along the way. That's the nature of beta-testing.
    Lady Griffin, Curamach and Sigtyr like this.
  19. Falleen Trailblazer

The right thing could be done here with so many other options, they chose not to do. Example of one: Refunds of marketplace items purchased during Alpha/Beta could have been at least, been made with an ACCOUNT bound in game money. That would eliminate the exploit of people remaking their chars over and over. Once spent, then if the char is remade, then it is gone. That would be acceptable.

I have never felt so stupid until I invested and trusted this company. I will never invest or trust them again.
    ManInLevis likes this.
  20. ManInLevis Trailblazer

Lets see if plans and needs wins them more customers or loses them. As you say, its in the hands of the Devs. As for me I took them at face value when they said we would be keeping mats into launch and planned for the future by harvesting max amounts of nearly everything in the hopes of using them when they finally launched on new claims that I would have been purchasing if the program eventually gave me the ability to use DM tools to create story and scenarios. I may loose but they will loose much more than I do in the form of loyal customers. They have given nearly every player in this Landmark at least one reason to not trust them any further.
    Falleen and Andesine like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.