Landmark Launching Spring 2016!

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Windstalker Developer

To Our Loyal Landmark Community,

You read the title right: Landmark is LAUNCHING this spring and I’m thrilled to be on this adventure with you!

For those of you who don’t know me, I’m Holly “Windstalker” Longdale. I’m the executive producer of both EverQuest and EverQuest II. I care passionately about the EverQuest franchise and have been involved with it for much of my career now, starting out as a player and game designer. Why am I here? I’m now the executive producer for Landmark and have been working with the amazing team for a few months!

As the community has grown and designs have flourished, we no longer view Landmark as just a building tool. We’ve been toiling away making Landmark into a wonder unto itself. While the look of our world was inspired by what was intended to be the voxel world of EverQuest Next, Landmark has evolved into its own game with its own unique identity and purpose. If you missed the news on EverQuest Next there’s a letter from Russell Shanks, Daybreak Games president, here.

The creativity of the Landmark community and the potential for telling stories in this digital world is beyond what we imagined. Our vision for Landmark is to provide a place where you can create ANYTHING, tell your own stories, and share your creativity with other players. We are wrapping up a HUGE game update for Landmark with LOTS of new additions and improvements, some of which you’ve already seen in sneak preview posts from Emily “Domino” Taylor on the forums. We are excited about what’s to come for Landmark and we can’t wait to see what you think.

The Landmark team has a lot to do before launch this spring and we’ll continue to keep you informed! For starters, here’s an FAQ if you have any questions after reading this letter.

We’re grateful for your continued support and are looking forward to the coming weeks as we prepare to launch Landmark!

Holly Longdale
    Executive Producer
  2. Fredelas Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed that customers who used buddy keys from $99.99 Trailblazer Packs will have to pay another $9.99 to continue in Landmark after it launches. (Not least of all because I used two of these keys for myself.)
    Gwendle, Sinlord, Davorum and 9 others like this.
  3. Oon Trailblazer

In the FAQ, when it says "at least two wipes" before Spring launch, does that include mats?
    Kiklix and Elandria like this.
  4. Holmedog Founder

With the cancellation of EQN does this mean we won't ever be seeing the "Dungeon Master" tools? What about the economy? I'm happy the game will "launch" and the update sounds good, but this news leaves me feeling pretty empty about the game as a whole.
    SilverOak, Zlyvr, syberghost and 3 others like this.
  5. Brax Trailblazer

So if I bought a Founders Pack, paying $99.99, I now receive Landmark, worth $9.99. Thats a loss of $90.00. Thanks daybreak.
  6. Fredelas Well-Known Member

At the time they started selling Trailblazer Packs for $99.99, Landmark was still envisioned as a free-to-play game. So I guess you could be grateful you're only "losing" $90.00 instead of $99.99.
    Gwendle, termyt, Zlyvr and 4 others like this.
  7. Holmedog Founder

That was always the plan? You got other virtual goods and a very long time of gameplay before release. You knew what you were buying.
    Moonpanther, Kurisutaru and Sigtyr like this.
  8. Brax Trailblazer

Sure and I very well know the risk. But it is still very sad.

I hope there will be some visible "Thank you" in game. Yes there are the flags, but there should be something more.
    Kiklix likes this.
  9. Thrasymachus Founder

This is very bad news indeed. The death of EQN was not desired, just as these updates to the game were not desired. The vision for Landmark it seems has had a seismic change, and not, I fear, for the better. This is not a decision or a direction that anyone should be happy about, and it does not speak well of the corporate environment within Daybreak. I am saddened at the loss of EQN, and even more saddened that they are taking Landmark in a direction that will simply justify shutting it down before another year is through. Any developer that has an ounce of integrity or talent should be looking for work elsewhere after this debacle.
    Gwendle, Davorum, Aelurachus and 2 others like this.
  10. Rafkin Trailblazer

On the bright side, a lot of good people are being wasted at Daybreak so maybe some of their talent will trickle into other companies.

Edit: by the way, Windstalker is not flagged for Staff Tracking posts.
  11. Fredelas Well-Known Member

I disagree with this specific portion of your assessment. There's nothing wrong in business with taking risks and failing. Talented employees can learn from these mistakes and still continue on with pride and integrity.
  12. Droopy Founder

I have some questions...

Will EQN assets be ported to Landmark? This game is dry when it comes to actual building content or creatures to fight and having access to all of EQN's textures, props, monsters, etc..would really help with that.

Also...you guys are releasing before we have dungeoneering? The game has little to do in it. The combat is fun but repetitive when you only have 5 creatures and a handful of weapons.
    Gwendle, GoddessElise and Krisabel like this.
  13. Sigtyr Trailblazer

While I am saddened by the cancelation of EQN I want think that this might actually be the thing that makes Landmark the game it was supposed to be. A lot of the systems developed for EQN will be applicable on LM and we might actually get the game where we can build and create our own adventures.

EQNs cancellation is a huge PR hit for Daybreak, they more or less HAVE to succeed with the Landmark launch. I choose to be optimistic and believe they can do it! For the developers it must be hard to have spent so much time on something that never will launch but lets hope that will will see the good parts of their work in LM.
    Timo, LadyAuliya, flamesbouy and 7 others like this.
  14. urbansheople Trailblazer

Curiosity and stuff. Although I was sad to see them close doors on EQN it seemed predictable to me.

I liked EQ series but more because of the bits and pieces and have never been always looking for a story written. I was always one of those people who made my own game within a game (and always will be).

I hope we are going to see the dungeonmastering tools come to life because I do feel that landmark will be a very dull world without the creativity of the collective crazyness that players can come up with.

Anyhow happy/sad but predictable. I was always wondering how they would make EQN different to Landmark so this seemed inevitable. I think Norrath can still exist in landmark though so all is not totally lost. Players will create the story hopefully alongside those who were putting together EQN but it will be more of a joint effort. (assuming dungeon tools are coming.. )

thanks for the info's!
    Kiin Kendov, Curamach and Sigtyr like this.
  15. Giga Trailblazer

To be honest, given a $9.99 game to me feels like a slap in the face. I appreciate the hard work the devs put into this, but at the same time what was paid for will not happen. Landmark, from the understanding when I backed the project, was meant to be the building blocks for the game, not its own game. So to hear that this will allow Landmark to be what it is supposed to be is laughable. I'd rather be compensated with my all access pass than told I can access something I care nothing about for free. Feel free to flame away, but just my point of view, you are entitled to your own.
  16. Parthin Trailblazer

This is a big WIN for the Landmark community! Here is the result of our dedication and hard work. We, the players, have shown the developers the incredible things we can do here. Sad for those who were hoping for EQN, but this is the only choice that made any sense. As they have said here, we have done things with Landmark building that they never believed were even possible. I'm sorry for the soreheads that didn't like building or couldn't do building, but there are plenty of games out there. Congratulation players!
    Moonpanther and Curamach like this.
  17. Krisabel Member

I played on a free unlimited beta key but bought stuff (storage space and costumes) in the shop. You mean to tell me that I'll have to fork over another $10 just to have access to the goods I've already purchased? Seriously?
  18. Fredelas Well-Known Member

This vision is infuriatingly vague. Are you referring to features we've never seen before in Landmark?

I'm not confident that three months is enough time to test and refine features none of us have ever seen before.
  19. Starbuck1771 New Member

I would disagree at this time when DBG needs all the support it can get they may have just dealt themselves a death blow. You can't shaft the customers time and again without taking damage. Look at the facts: They split from Sony, lost John and a lot of the veteran's that mattered, then they split H1Z1 and charge the same price for both halves as the whole, they have made bad changes to many of their games, and now have completely canceled part of a package deal that has been around for years. This does not work well in DBG's favor. You can't mess up that much and get away unscathed. It is all over the internet already and people are not happy.
    Jizomeo, Thrasymachus and Krisabel like this.
  20. Ghofmann Founder

FYI, Windstalker, your post are not appearing on the Staff Post Tracker.