[Claim] Gateway Arch (continued)

Discussion in 'Player Creations & Events (Player Showcase)' started by Bomdiggety, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Bomdiggety Trailblazer

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/gateway-arch.56680/

I decided to try and move this and see if it changed how it looked from a distance, shifting 10 voxels east.
    [IMG]

For what it's worth, the joints from the line tool sections are pretty much back to where they were originally. They always had these slight bumps, but they're hard to see unless you're up close.
    [IMG]

Some shots of the warping/errors you can see sometimes. I guess it's based on that LOD/mouse cursor voodoo, it goes away when you switch to the select tool(?)
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Even though you can see shadows on the surfaces, the edges are still pretty clean.
    [IMG]

Deleting the original north/left half, views from close and far away. The edges look sharper but some holes have appeared.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Shifting over 20 seemed to get slightly clearer.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

30 looked a bit better than 20, but 40 started to get fuzzy again.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

So it does seem to make a difference depending on exact location. Did not expect that. o_O
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

ps - Getting the post ready tonight I just now saw the part about aligning to the grid, must have missed that before in my sleepy state. Might have to try one more time, thanks Fredelas!
    Bobdob likes this.
  2. Bomdiggety Trailblazer

After hitting 'G' to align to the grid, a 4x4 test block showed that the arch was shifted one voxel.
    [IMG]

Making a copy of half the arch and aligning it to the grid.
    [IMG]

After putting it down, it had some bad wrinkling which I suspected was from dirty air after deleting previous attempts.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

"Dirty air" is/are voxels that have been altered by making something complex like curves or line tool segments, and then deleting them. You cant see anything, but the voxels next to the deleted object are not 'clean', and if you try to put something up against them they may warp the new shape. The solution is to always wrap things you delete with at least one extra voxel of space all around as a cushion, to make sure no remnants of old edges remain in the air.

Trying again after selecting the area with a 1 vox overlap and deleting fixed the problem.
    [IMG]

So now we have a 4 voxel thick arch aligned to the grid.
    [IMG]

The view from afar still shows some holes near the top, but overall it's definitely a lot better aligned to the grid.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Zimnel, Darvaleo, Needlehawk and 5 others like this.
  3. WhiskyJack Trailblazer

Well done . Love the far away appearance!
    Darvaleo and Bomdiggety like this.
  4. CoyoteDancer Trailblazer

You've worked so hard on this so long - it's really nice to see it approach your vision. And thanks for the info on shifting structures by a few voxels, grid aligning, & dirty air. Always learning - grateful for builders like you.
    Darvaleo and Bomdiggety like this.
  5. Bomdiggety Trailblazer

Doing some more testing of LOD limits, I placed various obelisks in the area. They have hollow cores, but the walls are 4 voxels thick at the top and the cut goes straight down, so the the bottom walls are wider.
    [IMG]

They seem to hold their shape even at far distances, not sure if the straight edges help with that? We are far enough from the arch that the top is starting to distort, this is made from sections of Fredelas curves while the sides are made with the line tool. Maybe making the arch thicker will help the curved part render better from afar?
    Darvaleo, Bobdob and Kiklix like this.
  6. Galadhlinn Trailblazer

Now can you make it out of ice so we can all have a go at the biggest slide in Landmark? :)

-G
    Bomdiggety likes this.
  7. Bomdiggety Trailblazer

Biggest slide I think belongs to Alyiahna with his giant skeleton. Start down the back of the throat and ride it all the way down through all the bones to the tail at the bottom. Truly awesome! :cool:
    [IMG]
  8. CoyoteDancer Trailblazer

That must have been an amazing experience.